• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which BR discs do most use?

I bought a bunch of RiData DVD-R discs years ago, 100 of them. Not a one of them burned successfully. After troubleshooting (rememeber this was a long time ago now) I found out that it was the discs that were the problem. I looked online (was new to burning then) and found that everyone agreed, RiData = bad. So, I would be extremely cautious about using any of their products. Perhaps their Blu-Rays are OK, but I'm not willing to play with RiData ever again.

I don't blame you at all. I have had no experiience with the RiData DVD's so I never had that problem. But I did have a similar bad experience with Optical Quantum DVD's. I bought a stack of 100 and only about 3/5 of them worked. Now I won't touch Optical Quantum at all even though I haven't tested their BDR's and many others seem to be happy with them ;)

PS RiData BD-R 25GB 4X have worked fine for me. I would say less than 1 percent failures. 1 out of 100 fail at the most, and it's usually my fault.

Last edited:
I've watched most of all the movies I've burned, they're all 100% OK.

I knew I could do this, this is why I got that brand. Not sure it worth the difference in price thought.

As long as you can burn at a constant write rate, you will usually be ok. Top speed for USB is around 4X but if it's an internal burner, you can go faster. But a constant stable write rate is important, in my opinion.

2 things I'd have to say.
1 If like me you always shrink your discs to Single layer then it's cheaper to buy SL BD-R's than to buy a hard drive Unless you manage to get one in a sale.
2 If your HD dies you lose everything, if 1 BD-R fails you only lose 1 disc.

As to Cinavia, just don't use a player that detects it

Yes, I also believe this is the best way. :agree:

I've bought hundreds of Optical Quantum discs and quickly ran out of storage space. With the impending domination of Cinavia, I thought it sage to invest in a AIOS media player and store my movies on HDDs and it has worked beautifully! Just this past Black Friday, Seagate had 3TB USB 3.0 external hard drives for $99 each! That will roughly store around 120 movies that would fit on just as many discs. Go HDD, guys... trust me. It will bulwark you against the Cinavia threat as well as assuage the need for storage space.

And, do you carry your 3TB USB external hard drive over to a friends house when you want to watch the movie at his/her house?
To carry a back-up disk to a friends house would be so much easier, and storing your back-up disks in standard size CD case takes up very little space. Printing on the disk, front, back and spline and identified by red for Blu-ray and black for standard definition. One standard size book case in the audio sound room takes care of all the back-up disks, A to Z filing system is very fast for finding the movie you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
The high density HDD thing is exciting and nice to have, but it does concentrate the value into a very small space similar to dealing with a valuable diamond. You do want a backup if you loose it. and a safe place to keep it when you're not using it. :)

BTW, that is the way most movies are backed up these days by the studios. full resolution on a magnetic HDD that is refreshed every few years.
But, historically, they use one HDD per movie.

Last edited:
I use Verbatim BD-R DL Made in Singapore - pack of 5 about $50 Australian.

Mostly, I use the Optical Quantum BD-R 25GB discs that I get on sale from NewEgg. Never really had an issue using them in either of my Lite On iHBS 112-4 burners or my LG burner. I just got a 50 disk cake box of TDK that they had on sale for a black Friday sale at a very good price, and they are RiData discs. Had no problem burning the couple that I tried. I just don't burn anything over 4X speed, and always use verify when I use Img Burn. I won't even burn 6X disks above 4X speed.

I let Imgburn decide the burn rate of the blank optical disks, standard definition or Blu-ray, no matter what the brand is.
You can watch the burn rate in Imgburn and notice it slows down if you are burning too fast, and almost always makes the disc burnproof. Rarely ever use verify in Imgburn, unless I am wanting to check on something.

But, I do try to purchase the fastest white label burn rate blank disks I can find in + type blank media for standard definition DVD+R and BD-R 25gb for Blu-ray.

So far, very, very few burning speed problems. And the back-up disks playback great no problems.:agree:

Last edited by a moderator:
I let Imgburn decide the burn rate of the blank optical disks, standard definition or Blu-ray, no matter what the brand is.
You can watch the burn rate in Imgburn and notice it slows down if you are burning too fast, and almost always makes the disc burnproof. Rarely ever use verify in Imgburn, unless I am wanting to check on something.

But, I do try to purchase the fastest white label burn rate blank disks I can find in + type blank media for standard definition DVD+R and BD-R 25gb for Blu-ray.

So far, very, very few burning speed problems. And the back-up disks playback great no problems.:agree:

I used to use that auto speed setting too but had coasters. IMO the most reliable burn is at a constant tangential velocity of the write head over the media. That's about 4X with most BD-R's, but what ever the speed is, it should be constant write speed for the best reliabilty.

With maximum write speed, the media is moving at an accelerating rate as it gets closer to the outer edge of the disk. With a constant, set write velocity (such as 4X or 2X) , the speed of the motor is ramped so that the media is always moving at the same speed under the write head.

Typically, the limitation on the write speed for a constant velocity write, has been with the limitations of the recording hardware and not the actual media itself, above 4X.
But the peak velocity of the disk itself is a limitation before it weakens and begins to distort.

Last edited:

That's interesting, seeing as how it's impossible to do that. :D

ImgBurn doesn't and can't do anything clever with the write speed, it has no real control over such things.

All it does is ask the drive to burn at x speed and then start sending it data to burn (as fast as it'll accept it).

There is no 'Auto' speed setting (not in the sense you mean anyway). If you have the 'Write Speed' set to 'AWS' it just means the 'Auto Write Speed' feature is then active. The 'Auto Write Speed' feature lets YOU, the user, pick a speed for a given MID/drive combo (as many as you want). The program remembers it and then uses it each time that combo is present.

If you don't configure the 'Auto Write Speed' feature for a given MID/drive, it'll just be writing at 'MAX' speed - hence why you'll see 'MAX' in brackets next to where you (should) pick the write speed.

If the write speed seems to fluctuate during the burn then it's because the drive is doing it - probably as part of some 'walking OPC' feature it supports - and nothing to do with ImgBurn.

ImgBurn doesn't and can't do anything clever with the write speed, it has no real control over such things.

All it does is ask the drive to burn at x speed and then start sending it data to burn (as fast as it'll accept it).

There is no 'Auto' speed setting (not in the sense you mean anyway). If you have the 'Write Speed' set to 'AWS' it just means the 'Auto Write Speed' feature is then active. The 'Auto Write Speed' feature lets YOU, the user, pick a speed for a given MID/drive combo (as many as you want). The program remembers it and then uses it each time that combo is present.

If you don't configure the 'Auto Write Speed' feature for a given MID/drive, it'll just be writing at 'MAX' speed - hence why you'll see 'MAX' in brackets next to where you (should) pick the write speed.

If the write speed seems to fluctuate during the burn then it's because the drive is doing it - probably as part of some 'walking OPC' feature it supports - and nothing to do with ImgBurn.

Ok, thanks for the information, learned something new about Imgburn.:agree:

As long as you can burn at a constant write rate, you will usually be ok. Top speed for USB is around 4X but if it's an internal burner, you can go faster. But a constant stable write rate is important, in my opinion.

Yes it's the internal LG BH14NS40 14X BD-R.

I burned around 20 disks so far, half 1:1 bluray movies and half data backup, all at 8x on 6x TDK disk.

Not a single coaster. I've watch 7 out of 10 movies and they're all fine.

There're expensive thought, so I'm moving down to TDK 4X. Perhaps they will burn @ 5x.

Tdk brand, no thanks. I'll stick with my quality brand verbatim. They may be a bit pricier but atleast i know what kind of quality I'm getting. It's the only brand i use. Whether it is for CD, dvd+r single or double layer, bluray single or double layer i go for verbatim always. No other brand comes even close to it for me. Guaranteed quality everytime.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

TDK Blu-ray discs are great discs, written hundreds of DL and well over 1000 of SL with never a failure. just make sure you buy HTL for the single layer discs. Some people always seem to think that Verbatim are the holy grail but to be honest when it comes to BD-R's I've not been that impressed with them. I've had a higher failure rate on the SL Verbatim BD-r's than I have with TDK or PiiData

I'm not saying verbatim is the holy grail but i can't recall the last coaster after i switched to them. The only occasional coaster i get is if 1 the burn program locks up or 2 i abort myself. Not the media's fault. One of my motto's is eight it ain't broken, don't fix it". I see no reason personally to swap or try other brands but if you say tdk bd-r printables are equally good ill take a look arround. I'm sure there are brands that match their level of quality. I also store my dvd backups in a black case that can hold 200 at a time and in a closed closet. Ditto for my DVDs but those get stored in actual bd cases. Nothing can come to them.

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

That's interesting, seeing as how it's impossible to do that. :D

There is no 'Auto' speed setting (not in the sense you mean anyway). If you have the 'Write Speed' set to 'AWS' it just means the 'Auto Write Speed' feature is then active.

That is what I always understood too. But I think Fast Eddie was refering to the feedback that imgburn produces with 'automatic write speed' selected. That's why I don't use 'AWS' or "MAX" write speeds. I've found that if I use a constant write speed (no matter what that speed is) I get the fewest coasters.

To anyone: Using the imgburn helper app "burnplot" you can experiment with you're hardware and find the speed that gives a constant write rate. My maximum speed is 4X for BD-r's with a USB burner. Sometimes the burner will change that speed to 2X for no apparent reason, but like LighteningUK pointed out, that is a function of the burner (or possibly the OS driver could affect it) and not imgburn.

BTW, LighteningUK, for such a celeb, you sure have very few posts on this forum. Thanks for the great software and don't be afraid to post more often ;).

Back