• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Which Blank BD-R DL to buy?

vincez28

So I have been using the TDK BD-R DL 1-4x. I haven't had too many issues with these discs. So i went through a 100 or so older bd-r backups from a few years ago and 2 wouldn't open for some reason? what do u think happened to these? there are no scratches or anything that would cause this to happen. just wondering what other people are using and having great results?

Options are:

TDK Blu-ray Discs 50GB 4x BD-R DL

Taiyo Yuden Blu-ray 50GB 4x blank That's BD-R DL (Taiyo Yuden That's Model BR-V50WWY10SC)

Verbatim Blank Blu-ray Discs 50GB 4x BD-R DL (Verbatim Mitsubishi Model VBR260YP10V1)

or anything else recommended?

Thanks,
Vince

At the time you did those back-ups, did you run a verify to make sure the burn was good? Had you played any of them successfully prior to their later failure? It's really hard to say what caused the failures without more information since it could have been software failure, write drive failure, disk failure, or read drive failure. The failures could be due to dye fading if the disks were stored under poor conditions (high heat or bright light exposure), but if the disks were stored properly, it's more likely something else went wrong in the string of events leading to their creation. You might also try your bad disks on another drive since the ability of drives to read BD-R disks varies somewhat and as the laser in your drive ages, the drive may be having more difficulty with these disks (especially if they are marginal).

As to your second query, I used to use Panasonic BD-R DL disks until they became unavailable. Now I buy Verbatim manufactured by Panasonic-Japan through eBay (see link below). I always verify my burns and haven't had a failure yet in that respect. Although I haven't actually viewed all of my back-ups, the ones I have looked at are fine (longevity excluded since these are all relatively recent).

I know some members here don't like TDK (can't say anything myself except that I use TDK for DVDs and have never had a failure).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Verbatim-Blank-Blu-ray-Discs-50GB-BD-R-DL-4x-bluray-/300785928887#ht_2278wt_814

Last edited:
thanks for the reply Crower.

yes I watched the movies just after backing them up and they played fine at the time. they have been store in a spindle with many other bd-r dl backups on my bookshelf. I have noticed that the ones im getting errors have all been the ridata 50gb bd-r dl. I wonder if it is those types of disks that have issues after awhile? as far as verify after burning it just takes twice as long for each backup so not all the time when doing a backup I verify because I just end up watching the movie shortly after backing it up. those Verbatim disk are made by Panasonic?

Thanks,
Vince

thanks for the reply Crower.

yes I watched the movies just after backing them up and they played fine at the time. they have been store in a spindle with many other bd-r dl backups on my bookshelf. I have noticed that the ones im getting errors have all been the ridata 50gb bd-r dl. I wonder if it is those types of disks that have issues after awhile? as far as verify after burning it just takes twice as long for each backup so not all the time when doing a backup I verify because I just end up watching the movie shortly after backing it up. those Verbatim disk are made by Panasonic?

Thanks,
Vince

That sound's more like a media or marginal/aging (read) drive problem. If you get a chance, try one of the bad disks in some friend's stand-alone player and see if it gives the same results. If so, it's most likely media. If you can still read those disks with a computer drive (which are usually more aggressive than stand-alone players), you might be able to copy them to new media.

Yes, the media I ordered through that link is advertised as Verbatim, and comes with the Verbatim logo on the disks. My understanding is that Verbatim gave up production of BD-R media and farms it out to different companies, depending on where it's marketed. In the US, the Verbatim media comes from China or other Asian sources. In Japan, they contract with Panasonic who has been known to produce pretty good media in the past. At least I haven't had any issues to date. I think they get their media bulk and then repackage it since the 10 disk quantity has the disks packed in individual soft slip covers - probably a cheaper way for them to mail also. I haven't had any shipping issues either and have ordered several times from them. It takes around 2 weeks to the US for postal delivery.

Good luck with your disks - let us know what you discover.

Last edited:
Back