• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What's old is new!

DQ

I find this fascinating for several reasons. Primarily because of how it harks back to the beginnings of networking.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/a...a-adapter-with-2-5-gbps-ethernet-support.html

LOL, maybe we will see a rebirth of Token Ring or IPX/SPX! The irony there is both technologies were sound they just lost the marketing wars due to the strong emergence of Microsoft and Windows at the time which really only supported ethernet and IP. Although for a time Windows NT partially supported being on a Novell IPX network. Fun times!

Well, MoCA has nothing to do with IPX/SPX or Token Ring. It uses a SAT/Antenna cable as IP transport media. I use MoCA myself for years at places, where it would be expensive to put ethernet cable. So it is cost effective to use the existing antenna/coax wires.
It works surprisingly well with speeds close to 1Gbit/s. Glad to see 2.5GBit/s MoCA adapters, maybe time to upgrade.

LOL, maybe we will see a rebirth of Token Ring or IPX/SPX! The irony there is both technologies were sound they just lost the marketing wars due to the strong emergence of Microsoft and Windows at the time which really only supported ethernet and IP.
That's not accurate. I worked in the Networking group at Microsoft at the time and Ethernet and Token Ring were both supported and tested, as well as running on Windows, IBM-DOS/MS-DOS, and OS/2. This was 1988/89.

It wasn't until later that Ethernet took the lead in the industry, and Token Ring slowly disappeared.

That's not accurate. I worked in the Networking group at Microsoft at the time and Ethernet and Token Ring were both supported and tested, as well as running on Windows, IBM-DOS/MS-DOS, and OS/2. This was 1988/89.

It wasn't until later that Ethernet took the lead in the industry, and Token Ring slowly disappeared.

I came on the scene later, in the early 90's. Which is my perspective. At that point Desktop Windows and I think even NT only really supported Ethernet and IP and IPX. With a preference on IP. At the time Token Ring was known as just an IBM thing for the most part. Now obviously Netware was IPX natively and while I ran a few of those back in the day I don't recall if they supported token ring or not. But anyway, I do believe the world went IP and Ethernet in part because Microsoft really pushed it. And that is what I was getting at.

Anyways I am not claiming to be a historian and the post was mostly for fun just to generate some nostalgia.

Woot? 90's?
In my student dorm in 2001 there was still token ring in place ... oh what fun playing with T-adapters and terminators :dance:
I replaced that myself about a year later :cool:

Reactions: DQ
Woot? 90's?
In my student dorm in 2001 there was still token ring in place ... oh what fun playing with T-adapters and terminators :dance:
I replaced that myself about a year later :cool:

It worked well as far as I know although I never got to use it personally as I did some of the other older technologies it just fell out of favor. Same thing with Novell and IPX. Microsoft exploding in popularity (as I recall) really pushed IP and Ethernet. But there was nothing wrong with Novell or IPX. I used to love IPX.

Token Ring never really went away, it's been alive and well in various highly niche applications to this day.

Back