• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Whatever Shall I do with my Lifetime AnyDVD License?

I use both because not everything is streaming AND like mentioned, the best quality comes from disc. 4k disc kicks the heck out of 4k streams from HM for example. My use case is not to collect everything I can but just the things I like and there is a lot of stuff, older stuff, you cannot stream. I am always on Amazon hunting 4k and Blu-ray discs for a good price. It's dang near a hobby at this point :p

I use both because not everything is streaming AND like mentioned, the best quality comes from disc. 4k disc kicks the heck out of 4k streams from HM for example. My use case is not to collect everything I can but just the things I like and there is a lot of stuff, older stuff, you cannot stream. I am always on Amazon hunting 4k and Blu-ray discs for a good price. It's dang near a hobby at this point :p
No, I'd say it's dang near a hoarding hobby-- not that there's anything wrong with that. LOL

That's what storage units are for, if you don't live in a house with a garage.

:D

Being an ol' fart I prefer having movies and TV shows on DVD/Blu-ray. The discs many times have extra content that streaming does not offer, and a lot of the content I like to watch is not readily available for streaming except by subscribing to a bazillion competing streaming services. I've got Prime for being an Amazon member, and Netflix streaming as well. My cable company has a "free version" of Peacock prime, and between the three I have more than enough to watch if I want to stream. Usually old TV shows to play while I exercise using my recumbent bike.

What I buy on disc I will watch more than once, unlike the streaming. As I said the extras are a plus for the physical disc, but I like to watch that content more often than the regular movie or TV show.

I paid for 2 lifetime licenses, both Slysoft and now Redfox, and I don't regret the purchase one bit. Just today I received a Blu-ray/DVD movie combo of Monsters University and I am currently in the process of processing the discs so I can watch backups.

Anystream is fun to play with and occasionally necessary as the sad fact is many things will probably never achieve the dignity of blu-ray release anymore (the entire runs of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Better Things, Search Party, etc. etc.), but make no mistake, streaming is a devolution of home entertainment at present, not an evolution at all. Hopefully one day after the tyranny of convenience destroys the excellence of physical media, streaming quality will finally surpass what we're getting now on Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and UHD Blu-ray. Or maybe never. People just don't care sp there's nothing really driving development. The streaming providers are even cynically chopping off the tops and bottoms of programs to save on bandwidth and people don't even seem to notice. It's one thing for a theatrical presentation to be letterboxed but there's no reason for 16x9 native content to be letterboxed. And this corrupts the eventual blu-ray releases that do come out too. (I'm watching House of the Dragon on UHD Blu right now, that one is needlessly letterboxed. It doesn't really matter though because the show is so darkly lit you can barely make out anything from between the black bars anyway!) AnyDVD allows you to access your Blu-ray collection on an HTPC with the same convenience as streaming, you just surf through a menu and choose what to watch without getting up. And the quality is vastly superior. So I use Anystream to fill up hard drives with stuff I will never watch (especially now that we have unlimited download speed) as I continue to watch Blu-rays mostly. If I had to give up one RedFox product it would certainly be Anystream, but I am grateful to have it.

Anystream is fun to play with and occasionally necessary as the sad fact is many things will probably never achieve the dignity of blu-ray release anymore (the entire runs of Curb Your Enthusiasm, Better Things, Search Party, etc. etc.), but make no mistake, streaming is a devolution of home entertainment at present, not an evolution at all. Hopefully one day after the tyranny of convenience destroys the excellence of physical media, streaming quality will finally surpass what we're getting now on Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, and UHD Blu-ray. Or maybe never. People just don't care sp there's nothing really driving development. The streaming providers are even cynically chopping off the tops and bottoms of programs to save on bandwidth and people don't even seem to notice. It's one thing for a theatrical presentation to be letterboxed but there's no reason for 16x9 native content to be letterboxed. And this corrupts the eventual blu-ray releases that do come out too. (I'm watching House of the Dragon on UHD Blu right now, that one is needlessly letterboxed. It doesn't really matter though because the show is so darkly lit you can barely make out anything from between the black bars anyway!) AnyDVD allows you to access your Blu-ray collection on an HTPC with the same convenience as streaming, you just surf through a menu and choose what to watch without getting up. And the quality is vastly superior. So I use Anystream to fill up hard drives with stuff I will never watch (especially now that we have unlimited download speed) as I continue to watch Blu-rays mostly. If I had to give up one RedFox product it would certainly be Anystream, but I am grateful to have it.

It's like cars (or anything really). Some people REALLY appreciate a car on all levels in make, quality and finish. But many people just don't care so long as it gets them from A to B. Us media nerds enjoy quality and having things that are not readily available or are rare. But a lot of people don't care. Just the way it is.

I have no choice but to agree that streaming is not a step forward, but a step backwards. The advanced idea would be to stay away from physical carriers, for God's sake, NETFLIX and similar services will be supported by governments as a degradation of people. I bought ANYSTREAM only because it works like a weapon in the fight against these stupid corporations. Thank you for a nice post. for discussion :)

@newcombg if you check IMDB for House of the Dragon, you will find in the Details that the program was filmed and finished in 2.00:1 aspect ratio, not 16:9. So the image you are seeing on the UHD is the true aspect ratio of the program.

Back