What Type of Disc ?

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Blanks' started by dave15367, Aug 8, 2007.

1. dave15367

dave15367 Member

What type of disc should i be using in clone DVD dvd-r or dvd+r
    many thanks

2. customshopkv1

customshopkv1 Well-Known Member

Either one, I use +R.

3. jvc

jvc Well-Known Member

The + discs (+R, +RW, and +R DL) can be booktyped to DVD Rom, which makes them more compatible with standalone dvd players (if your burner is capable of booktyping/bitsetting). Here is some info on booktyping:
    http://www.k-probe.com/bitsetting-booktype-faq.php

4. DetroitBaseball

DetroitBaseball Well-Known Member

5. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I prefer +R myself but either will work. The most important issue is to use quality media. Verbatim and Ty.

6. DetroitBaseball

I'll keep using -R.

7. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

In order to assure higher compatibility with DVD-Video players, DVD+R format has bit-setting abilities, allowing the book type to be changed from DVD+R to DVD-ROM. While this does help the compatibility, it still does not allow the DVD+R format to exceed the DVD-R in video compatibility.

I would tend to disagree strongly with the latter part of that quote. DVD-ROM "is" the standard for prerecorded discs.

8. DetroitBaseball

Well, that's what digitalFAQ says. http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdformats.htm

9. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that they say that. From my own experience, I have yet to find a DVD Player that will not play a +R DVD that has been book typed to DVD-ROM.

10. DetroitBaseball

Well we have yet to find a DVD Player that won't play our DVD -Rs. 8)

11. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Like several things in the digitalfaq, the information is outdated (and in some cases with blank media rankings--simply inaccurate).

read through this thread: http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=224544

dvd-rom bitsetting helps with that issue (and it's not just imgburn and clonedvd that were affected). As it stands, Clonecd (the Clonedvd issue has been resolved as of Clonedvd 2.9.1.2) backups that have been booktyped to "dvd-rom" stand a better chance of playing (due the buggy firmware protection check) on the Samsung standalone player than dvd-rs (that were backed up using Anydvd and Clonecd).

Last edited: Aug 12, 2007
  12. DetroitBaseball

13. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Best Buy has 50 pks for $11.99 this week.
    The ones here ID......MCC-004-000

14. jvc

jvc Well-Known Member

My stepfather had a player that wouldn't play +R or -R. I tried both, several times, different brands. When I learned about booktyping, I booktyped a +R to DVD Rom. The player played it flawlessly. Been booktyping ever since.

15. DetroitBaseball

Must be an old player. To not play -R or +R without booktyping is pretty bad. If it was new I would have returned it.

16. DetroitBaseball

Dang, that's a good deal. I am tempted to order some, lol.

17. jcusimano2@kc.rr.com

jcusimano2@kc.rr.com Well-Known Member

Can you please explain what you mean, the difference between dvd player compatibility & video compatibility?

18. tmckin1211

tmckin1211 Well-Known Member

I would agree DVD-Rs are better and user friendly with most burners. I also use DVD+Rs, I think the important issue is the media quality. I recommend Verbatim.:agree:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  19. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Even better...use +R and book type to DVD-ROM.......even better compatibility.