1. RedFox is offering a Xmas discount of 20% on all products (except upgrades/renewals), valid until December 18, 2022. If you are entertaining the thought of purchasing one of our products then now is the right time to act!
    Dismiss Notice

What to buy

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Blanks' started by jmslgn7, Apr 1, 2007.

1. jmslgn7

jmslgn7 New Member

I got Any DVD and Clone DVD for a gift I have never burned a movie in my life how do i know which blank media to buy?

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

3. jmslgn7

jmslgn7 New Member

TSST corp CDRW/DVD TSL462C This is what is in my device manager

4. Webslinger

Everything I'm reading online is saying that this drive is a Samsung oem drive (often comes in dell systems) and burns blank cd media only, although I'm finding that hard to believe.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
  5. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

Tsst

According to other threads, that is a CD burner with DVD read only.

Dadgummit Webslinger, you did it again!

6. Webslinger

Well, if you're finding the same information, then I guess it's true. Weird that Dell would use this drive for its XPS laptop line (even if it was an older XPS line).

:D

7. jmslgn7

jmslgn7 New Member

thanks everyone for the info

8. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

The TSST corp CDRW/DVD TSL462C is a combo drive. Not unusual for Laptops if the buyer selected that in their build.

9. Webslinger

Yeah, but my drive in my dell notebook is a samsung oem writer as well (I was not happy about getting this writer, but I didn't have much choice) and burns dvds, and the XPS Dell line is its expensive gaming line of notebooks. I suppose the review I was reading must have been old (I'm not sure how long the XPS notebook line has been around), so it's probably an older XPS notebook review I was looking at. (The only reason I bought a Dell notebook was due to getting it over $600 below cost, as opposed to $600 below retail, so it's not as though I'm huge fan of Dell--or having anything built for me in general).

10. bjproc

bjproc Well-Known Member

that to me says, cd rewritable and a dvd rom, would it not be a cd-dvd/rw for a dvd writer?

11. Webslinger

Yes, I was just surprised that a non-dvd writer was being bundled with Dell's XPS notebook line at one point is all, so I did a bit of a double take; I wouldn't expect expensive/premium notebooks to have a non-dvd writer (but perhaps that's what was available at the time).

12. bjproc

bjproc Well-Known Member

your right, as usual :D i think every PC/laptop nowadays should have a dvd writer installed, cheap or expensive.

a girl on another forum i use bought a dvd/rw from dell as hers had failed and they charged her £70 :eek: for it, she also had to fit it herself

13. Webslinger

Ouch. For that price, I think I'd just (and possibly pay a bit extra) use an external usb portable writer.

14. customshopkv1

customshopkv1 Well-Known Member

I totally agree.

15. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

This situation is not at all unusual among the big name pre-builts. They offer a sale on a Laptop with a large CPU (which often comes with a lower FSB) and usually a large HDD but they cut back on other hardware (i.e. DVDRW) and make it available for a small addition in cost.