What 'Speed' blank DVDs should I get?

Discussion in 'CD/DVD/BD Blanks' started by SoundsGood, May 14, 2007.

1. SoundsGood

SoundsGood Well-Known Member

It was recommended in another thread that I buy my blank DVDs online, in bulk, and that I stick to either Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden DVDs. Fair enough. Now I just need to know what speed blank DVDs I should be buying.

I think my DVD burner is an 8X burner. If so, does that mean I should be buying 8X blank DVDs? What would happen if I used 16X blanks?

If it helps, my drive is here and here.

Any suggestions?

Oh, and if anyone can provide a link to a hot deal, that would be great! ;)

2. mmdavis

mmdavis Well-Known Member

I gave you links on the other thread you had. For TY SL use the Premium 8x -R. For +DL use the 6x. If at some point you get another burner (16x-20x), the 8x TYs can usually be burned at a higher speed than 8x.

3. SoundsGood

Yep, spotted (and replied) just a minute ago. It wasn't my thread so I didn't wanna ask a new question there.

Thanks for your help! :)

4. SoundsGood

5. customshopkv1

customshopkv1 Well-Known Member

I buy Verbatim and TY 16X +R and burn at 8X.

6. mmdavis

The Meritline and Supermediastore, yes. The Amazon does not say Premium line. There are also valueline TY that are not quite as reliable.

7. SoundsGood

Cool, thanks.

8. mmdavis

One other thing to remember, if the link you provided is your drive, Dell DVD C3284-A00, then this will only write to -R only and is not a dual/double layer. It does not list +R or +/-R DL.

9. SoundsGood

Yep, that's the correct drive. I'll make sure I only get the -R.

Any thoughts on SuperMediaStore vs. Meritline, other than price?

10. G-Omaha

G-Omaha Well-Known Member

Have used both - one normally has free shipping and the other doesn't. Both are reputable and easy to work with.

11. SoundsGood

I decided to go with SuperMediaStore. Thanks for the help.

12. Jalabar

Jalabar Well-Known Member

I just bought the "Taiyo Yuden Premium 8X DVD-R Media Silver Thermal Lacquer 100 in cake box" from supermediastore.com. No problems. And the discs work great.

Came on-time. Packaged fine.

13. SoundsGood

I was just about to order mine when I remembered that I'm going out of town soon for a few days. I'll have to order when I get back.