• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Question What is the path where YouTube Premium saves downloaded videos?

nrnoble

I have YT premium. Does anybody know the local path on the PC where YT videos are saved?

This is a question specific to YT premium on a Windows PC.

I have YT premium. Does anybody know the local path on the PC where YT videos are saved?

This is a question specific to YT premium on a Windows PC.
I wish I could help you Mr. Noble, but I do not have YouTube Premium, but if you are using Windows 10 or 11, just search for a file you know you have downloaded, when search finds it, it will tell you the exact path to the file.

just search for a file you know you have downloaded
Just be aware that YouTube does not necessarely name the file the exact same way as the movie is.
So if you download "Lets Play Ep 1" it might save it under a random number, not "Lets Play Ep 1.mp4".

However, as long as you aren't talking about a purchase you did (you can buy movies on YouTube, and these are encrypted so the file will be as well), you can just download it using youtube-dl.

Just be aware that YouTube does not necessarely name the file the exact same way as the movie is.
So if you download "Lets Play Ep 1" it might save it under a random number, not "Lets Play Ep 1.mp4".

However, as long as you aren't talking about a purchase you did (you can buy movies on YouTube, and these are encrypted so the file will be as well), you can just download it using youtube-dl.
As I said I do not know much about YouTube Premium, Deepspace seems to be a lot more familiar with it, so I really do not know where the default file folder is, but I would think, and I may be wrong it would be under C: Users\username\Music or video. This just my guess.

Deepspace seems to be a lot more familiar with it
No, not at all, I never used it.
I just think they don't want you to access or find the files that easy, so they give the file another name. The same way Amz and NF encrypt their videos, so you can't just download them.
I tried to download a purchased video from YouTube somewhere in the past, I had no sucess (but I had not as much knowledge back then as I have now).
That's why I guess it was encrypted and the YT Premium videos might as well.

I have used youtube-dl the past. As I recall it downloads in real-time (like a DVR), thus rather slow. I shall try it again to verify my memory or if I had it configured correctly. However, it would not surprise me if all videos that are downloaded using YT-Premium (not Youtube-dl) are encrypted and must be playback using the YT interface.

My ultimate objective is to download specific YT channels video when new contact becomes available and store them on my (Unraid) Plex server.

YouTube-DL IS NOT a real-time download. It typically pulls down pretty fast. But YouTube has made some changes as of late and the speeds it seems it can pull stuff down are restricted for now. I hear a fork of it does not suffer from the same thing. It is called YT-DLP.

There is also an extension for FireFox called "Easy YouTube Video Downloader" which does a worthy job as well.

I can recommend All Video Downloader Pro by Kotato, works really well, not free though.

It stores the video as a set of encrypted files. The location is dependant on the browser you use. For example, mine are located here:
C:\Users\AmazingB\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\IndexedDB\https_www.youtube.com_0.indexeddb.blob\
Note AmazingB is the system user and I am using Google Chrome as my browser. Also note that the .blob is not a file, but a folder. Within the .blob folder will be three other folders. Mine are labelled as 2d, 2f, and 32 respectively. Within each folder is another folder labelled 00 (double-zero). Within each of those, 2d is empty, 2f holds one small file, then 32 holds multiple files. If you have multiple "downloads" you can sort them by time created. If you want to isolate one specifically, you can try only having one downloaded at a time. Each individual file is named with 2 alpha-numeric characters 0-f and the files seem to be numbered sequentially. The files have no extension. I have tried opening them directly (and with adding extensions for common containers) with a media player but they do not play, thus why I believe they are encrypted. Hope this info helps, but at the end of the day, it doesn't look like paying for premium is going to aid with offline viewing.

that might help you... it's possible that it works for Youtube Premium, too.

Back