• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What is the .DVD file for?

dbminter

What is the .DVD file for if the user checks that option when ripping a Blu-Ray to image file?

Thanks!

When you open it using the Editor, you can see the following (taken from a DVD):
Code:
MediaType=DVD
LayerBreak=2009152
GREATEST_SHOWMAN

There is also a dvdid file with that disc, not sure why. But you can also open it by using the Explorer, what gave me this:
Code:
<Disc>
<Name>GREATEST_SHOWMAN</Name>
<ID> (removed) </ID>
</Disc>

But I have no idea what that is used for. I think someone once asked this as well, but cannot remember the answer.

It is information for burning software like CloneCD or Imgburn. The created .ISO doesn't have any information about the physical layout of the disc it came from. In the above DVD example it was a dual layer DVD-ROM and the switch from the first layer to the second layer is at 2009152. To not create any issues like switching the layer in a high bitrate video scene the burning program will also pick that number to switch from the first to the second layer. Otherwise it will just fill the first layer completely and then switch to the second. This can result in video distortion. So if you want to burn a DVD you should also create a .DVD file.

However, Imgburn has some functionality to optimize the location of the layer break if no .DVD file exists and will give you some options in green, yellow or red. If possible always pick the green one.

This doesn't help with burning BD-R since this spec says that the first layer has to be filled up completely and then it switches to the second one. Many issues can occur at the layer break and only a good burner in combination with good media helps here.

What is the .DVD file for if the user checks that option when ripping a Blu-Ray to image file?

Thanks!
I'm wondering why YOU asked that. You have been very active in the Imgburn forum for many, many years and you should be familiar with CUE / MDS /DVD layout files.

I'm wondering why YOU asked that. You have been very active in the Imgburn forum for many, many years and you should be familiar with CUE / MDS /DVD layout files.

It's a fair question. :) I asked because I was fairly familiar with what .DVD files were for DVD's, but I was wondering what they would be useful for on Blu-Rays. Since as you pointed out, the layer change is different on Blu-Ray. For instance, I believe there is no "layer change" per se on BD playback like there was in DVD's. With DVD's, the layer change was necessary to tell the player to change the laser intensity at that point to read the 2nd layer. Without the layer change information, there would be a pause at the change as the data read was "slowed down." With the layer change, the player could "read ahead" the data at the layer change and avoid the pause.

Back