• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What is so bad about removing copy protection from Rentals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrabOne

Hi. I'm reading for quite a time in this forum now, haven't registered an account yet tho. Now I read many times that SlySoft doesn't give support for removing the copy protection from rentals, and I'm asking "Why not?".

I'm explaining a situation to you that has happened to me:

I bought a DVD (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix) from ebay. It was from a private seller, in "used condition". Well this DVD turned out to be truly in a very used condition and as I wanted to back it up I got an unrecoverable read error. The worst thing was, that the seller didn't want to take it back and argueing wasn't worthwhile to for those couple of bucks. So I went into my local video rental shop, got the movie and ripped it. Though it was a rental, ripping was possible without problems. I consider this as fair-use, because I have the original copy of the movie here, the DVD is just broken.

Now this question: Why wouldn't you give support for removing copy protections from Rentals? I know major releases differ from the retail and the rental version, and also sometimes the copy protection differs. I'm asking:

- Are you planning to build a prohibition into AnyDVD that prohibits Rentals from being ripped?
- Are you planning not to support removal of copy protections that are present on Rentals?

It's not like I would go to the rental store, lend movies, rip them and give them back, but this argumentation doesn't make much sense, because

- I could also lend the DVD from a friend, rip it and give it to him back ~WITHOUT PAYING FOR IT~ OH NO!!!111 :policeman:
- I could also buy the DVD, rip it, and SELL IT ~OH NO~ !!1 :policeman:
- I could also steal the DVD from a store, rip it, and throw it in a garbage can ~OH NO~ :policeman:

Your post is nonsense, you have been warned.:policeman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back