• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What is .md5 .dvd file good for?

I've been ripping my dvd's to my hard drive for awhile now and always just delete the .dvd file.

Now what is this .md5 file about? What does it do? Is it ok to delete it?

I have all these dvds ripped onto my hard drive as back ups and occasionally burn a disc from those backups.

Thank you to whoever responds. :eek:

its a checksum file. If you don't know what its about or what its for then you sure don't need it. Its safe to delete :)

in short an md5 is a verification hash to make sure the file has the size its supposed to have or isnt corrupted in any way.

I back up movies to my hard drive and then I copy to DVD+R DL if need be later.

Can another knowledgeable member confirm. Is it truly safe to delete the .dvd file if I plan to make disc copy in the future?

If you are copying your dual layer DVDs to an ISO file it is best to NOT delete the .dvd file. It contains layer break information for burning programs such as Imgburn. If you copy your DVDs to file/folder, then it is safe to delete because any good burning program can recreate the layer break from the file/folder layout. Imgburn will ask you where to place the layer break.

When I copy the movie to my hard drive I am selecting ISO/UDF image as the output method.

I don't use imgburn, I use the "WRITE EXISTING DATA" button on CloneDVD to make a dvd. So I should be ok to delete the .dvd file right?

Last edited:
When I copy the movie to my hard drive I am selecting ISO/UDF image as the output method.

I don't use imgburn, I use the "WRITE EXISTING DATA" button on CloneDVD to make a dvd. So I should be ok to delete the .dvd file right?

Keep the .dvd file so CloneDVD knows where the layer break was on the original disc so it burns the layer break correctly.

Keep the .dvd file so CloneDVD knows where the layer break was on the original disc so it burns the layer break correctly.

Crap, I deleted most of them :bang:

CloneDVD won't just pick an arbitrary spot to do the layer break?

Crap, I deleted most of them :bang:

CloneDVD won't just pick an arbitrary spot to do the layer break?

For the movie which you have deleted the file. Using Imgburn is good choice it will give you option where to put it. It also allow to choose different one and have a legend which describe where it is gone be Excellent, very good and so on.

It also allows to use seamless which basically make possible to burn in such a way that user won't notice in movie.

Can I ask what program he's ripping with?
I've done several AnyDVD rips, and never noticed and .MD5 or a .DVD file.

-W (perhaps I wasn't looking well enough?)

the anydvd iso ripper probably with the box ticked that sais to create an additional .dvd file

yup, according to the release notes

6.7.5.0 2010 12 03
- New: Creates .md5 checksum file in addition to .dvd file when ripping to image

OK. As you can tell, I don't rip to image much. :)

-W

i don't rip dvd's to images, ever so can't confirm it actually does. However since it's in the release notes it's pretty safe to assume that it does so :) Only rip blu-rays on occasion (like the 3D ones) to iso.

Yes, I was trying to determine which of those - they both rip.

-W

Back