• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

What about a Linux version of AnyDVD?

warmfuzzy

Hi. I know it is improbable that the programmers would decide to port (translate) AnyDVD from Windows to Linux but because I *LOVE* Linux I thought that I'd put the idea out there. I use Ubuntu GNU/Linux and have found it incredibly stable and secure. Linux is the geek's pipe dream come true. Ubuntu Linux is the epicenter of all the great things that have gone into Linux development all located in one perfect package.

To convince the programmers (and readers of this message) that Ubuntu GNU/Linux is amazing you can download the operating system for free from www.ubuntu.com. This is the full version of Ubuntu Linux with all features enabled forever; there is no catch, you can simply download and load the full version for free -- it's that simple.

So far Linux software can remove the CSS encryption from DVDs, but it can't yet remove region codes (make all regions playable), and doesn't have support to nullify unreadable sectors protection.

Please consider my request. Linux is an art form of an operating system. Having AnyDVD and AnyDVD HD available for Linux would be exquisite.

"Please port to Ubuntu GNU/Linux"
-- This is my cheer!

:) Have a great day and thank you for considering the request. :)

We here can never tell what the future may hold, while somethings do not seem likely does not mean at a future date its impossible. Projects and project managers can code some pretty amazing stuff, things we dont think possible today, might be very possible at a future date, do not take what I saying as a promise of anything because I really do not know, but who knows what the future may hold for us, I for one never count anything out.;)

I would purchase linux ports of everything Slysoft offers the day it goes on sale. I even signed up to just to make this post.

It would be cool to see it for Android as well (tablet with a USB optical drive).

Linux port

If you guys ever do decide to do this, you should bundle it with XBMC Live.

This would make a Linux-based, "appliance" media center that plays BluRay discs out of the box.

I'm not sure how the distribution would work, as AnyDVD will no doubt be closed-source...

As it is, I have to run AnyDVD HD on a Windows machine and share the BluRay drive over the network in order to play DVDs on my media center. :(

-Wes

linux support

ripping blurays is the only reason i have windows. makemkv has linux support but I bought lifetime subscription a few months before that came out.

Commodore 64's and Amigas are back

I totally agree with the wish for a Linux version of Any DVD HD and the rest of SlySoft's sotware. Now that the C64x has been released with the Ubuntu OS and that the new Amigas are in the horizon, I think they will both take their rightful place as the logical best choice for the ultimate home theater computer. Needless to say, having Any DVD as part of their software armamentarium would be crucial for this to happen, otherwise, they won't be able to play Blu-ray DVD's (unless they are supported by the upcoming Commodore OS). Thank you for listening.

I totally agree with the wish for a Linux version of Any DVD HD and the rest of SlySoft's sotware. Now that the C64x has been released with the Ubuntu OS and that the new Amigas are in the horizon, I think they will both take their rightful place as the logical best choice for the ultimate home theater computer. Needless to say, having Any DVD as part of their software armamentarium would be crucial for this to happen, otherwise, they won't be able to play Blu-ray DVD's (unless they are supported by the upcoming Commodore OS). Thank you for listening.

What your asking would work only if there were enough market shares of computers of Amiga out there but there isn't enough for them to justify the R&D to create for such a limited computer. There are and will always be more Windows O/S users compared to other O/S out there. You have to create and support the more used O/S to get your R&D money worth in return. And unfortunately this is a international forum so the computer your describing has on this side been out of the market for quite some time and Windows has become the dominate O/S every other O/S is compared to and as well as the hardware manufacture support Windows.

ripping blurays is the only reason i have windows. makemkv has linux support but I bought lifetime subscription a few months before that came out.

That is very loose reasoning to even have Windows. If you checked out there nowdays the software for Windows are more readily available and the cost is less then other similar O/S software. Also the Windows has a majority of the market share of the O/S market as well. Unix aka Linux is a good server program and true multitask and multiuser O/S that never got a good foot hold on the O/S market that is now dominated by Windows.

"[T]he software for Windows are more readily available and the cost is less then other similar O/S software. Also the Windows has a majority of the market share of the O/S market as well."

Ubuntu is going to eventually bury Windows among the non-geek, just-let-me-use-the-damned-thing masses, which is MOST computer users. It's extremely easy to install (and even test out, with the "LiveCD" feature of the installation CD), it's FREE, the multitude (google "Debian packages" and "Ubuntu packages" for a hint) of various software and applications is FREE, and it's very stable. It looks great, too, and is a pleasure to use. Automatic updates are even available (which blew me away) through the Ubuntu Software Center (which is onboard the installation). Too, when computers come up in conversation you have the cachet of dismissively saying, Oh, I run Linux <sniff-sniff>

I'd just like to second the appeal for a Linux version of AnyDVD and CloneDVD.

Please-please-please.

Last edited:
The reason I finally placed Windows on the field goal tee

[SlySoft] FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

After the installation/uninstallation of CloneCD my CD/DVD drives have disappeared.

This is known as the code 31 problem under Windows. You can learn all about it here.

It might be an easier solution to just make it run under WINE as that will not require a full port. As an example DVDFab runs quite happily under WINE but it is just a rubbish piece of software that fails on most blurays, so AnyDVD would be a great port. I would happily pay a new subscription for the linux version (even under WINE).

Anydvd works on driver level as such I don't know how easier would it be to import wine. DVDCrap (aka DVDfab) on other hand is different story.

Personally I can bash their products all day long and enjoy it.

It's been said on this forum some time ago that because of the licensing requirements that would be imposed on AnyDVD to work with Linux at the driver level, Slysoft would have to open up parts of thier code that they wish remain closed. As such, they do not plan to author a version native to Linux.

At least that's what i recall being said.

well you can always do what I do, even if you got ubuntu/linix which I do for my media center, you probably still got a windows pc around. I rip what ever with windows, load it on the network drive and there it is,simple and easy. I don't really need it on the linix htpc.You can't really play all the good games on linix or ubuntu either so windows is needed.

Back