• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Well,I did it.

ZARTT

About 08:30 this A.M. I went ahead and took the plunge,(can you plunge up?) and upgraded to Win-10 Pro from win-7 Ult.
Since my system is on 24/7, MS really went for the full court press with the hourly upgrade nags.
"You only have 4 days, 6 hiours, 13 min. 10 seconds, before you lose the chance of a lifetime"
So I gave in, and the the conversion went as expected, with no hitches.
I have 31 days to either like it or hate it.
I have my Win-7 complete image on a 1TB SSD for a fallback.
If Microsoft hasn't got it down smooth by now, then they should give up.
A few things that I like are gone, and some new stuff that I don't understand yet are in their place.
Office 2007 seems to play nice, which is good, because I refuse to subscribe to that Office 365 scam.
The Redfox/Elby stuff doesn't have any problems.
I have a BD that was really cranky running under 7, and it is still cranky under 10, but eventually successful.
One thing I noticed during a BD copy only, is the frame rate went from around 75-80 under Win-7, to 95-105 under win 10.
Same system load, no major background changes.
I'm not complaining, just noting a difference.
Good luck to all who do this at the last minute as I did.

Art.

Actually now that your hardware is registered with the ms activation servers you could roll back right now if you wanted too. When you're ready you can then do a clean install if you choose to and be fully activated, due to the hardware already being registered for activation. :)

In addition to the clone of my Win 7 ULT. O/S SSD, I downloaded an ISO of Win 10 prior to starting this whole thing, so I think I am covered.
My Win -7 license is of the unlimited activation variety due to the company that I worked for, and the type of work that I did, before retiring.
It is my understanding that the Win -7 license activates the Win-10 install.
That being so, (fingers crossed behind back) I shouldn't have any difficulty rolling back, or forward at will.
I had the same arrangement between XP, and Win 8, and used to jump back and forth on the same hardware using the same license for experimental purposes.
After quite a few of these swaps, MS would get annoyed, and force me to activate by phone, still using the same license, but making the process long and drawn out.
All this while I am using the same system hardware. a first gen I-7 995, extreme (BLOOMFIELD), water cooled on a Intel board DX058, socket1366, 24 GB RAM, with a TTake 1000 W PSU, Two PNY GTX660ti's, and two LG BD opticals.
I have a LSI SAS controller in the case that runs 10 TB in a raid 5 configuration for immediate movie storage, and a QNAP NAS with two 30 TB raid 5's for long term storage.
All my HD's are WD reds. wouldn't have any other brand of HD even if they were free.
It really sucks up the power, keeps my office nice and warm in the cold months.
Some times the utility publishes a graph on the invoice that shows your individual standing regarding power usage with realtion to your neighbors usage.
Mine is off the chart. Screw the environment, I'm having too much fun.

Art

About 08:30 this A.M. I went ahead and took the plunge,(can you plunge up?) and upgraded to Win-10 Pro from win-7 Ult.
Since my system is on 24/7, MS really went for the full court press with the hourly upgrade nags.
"You only have 4 days, 6 hiours, 13 min. 10 seconds, before you lose the chance of a lifetime"
So I gave in, and the the conversion went as expected, with no hitches.
I have 31 days to either like it or hate it.
I have my Win-7 complete image on a 1TB SSD for a fallback.
If Microsoft hasn't got it down smooth by now, then they should give up.
A few things that I like are gone, and some new stuff that I don't understand yet are in their place.
Office 2007 seems to play nice, which is good, because I refuse to subscribe to that Office 365 scam.
The Redfox/Elby stuff doesn't have any problems.
I have a BD that was really cranky running under 7, and it is still cranky under 10, but eventually successful.
One thing I noticed during a BD copy only, is the frame rate went from around 75-80 under Win-7, to 95-105 under win 10.
Same system load, no major background changes.
I'm not complaining, just noting a difference.
Good luck to all who do this at the last minute as I did.

Art.
Hello Art, Thanks for sharing your experience with upgrading your PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I wish to ask you a few questions. Does installing Windows 10 de-activate the Windows 7 install at the Microsoft Homebase? I image my partitions. Can one restore the Windows 7 "C" partition without a "formal" rollback? What is a "formal" rollback? Does one have to backup all partitions before installing Windows 10? I have a new Dell that I need to install Windows 7 Pro before the deadline if I want a "FREE" copy of Windows 10. My plan is to install Windows 7 Pro and image the "C" partition. Then install Windows 10 and image the "C" partition and then restore my Windows 7 Pro image and resume configuring, etc. So, I have a Windows 10 install as an image? The PC I am using is Windows 7 and I am not sure if I want to do Windows 10. The new PC will serve as a backup because I didn't want to have to buy a Windows 8 or 10 PC unless I had to. Do you or anyone else have comments on my plan or make any suggestions?

Installing win 10 does not devalidate the license key for 7. You can still install it just fine, however the actual remaining updates lifetime of 7 is limited. There's no such thing as a "formal" rollback, you either rollback (from the newer OS to the previous one) or you do a clean install. In your case you can install 7 and image it, update to 10 and image it and let it run for a few hours so the hardware is registered with the windows 10 activation servers, and then either do a rollback from within 10 or restore the image.

In addition to the clone of my Win 7 ULT. O/S SSD, I downloaded an ISO of Win 10 prior to starting this whole thing, so I think I am covered.
My Win -7 license is of the unlimited activation variety due to the company that I worked for, and the type of work that I did, before retiring.
It is my understanding that the Win -7 license activates the Win-10 install.
That being so, (fingers crossed behind back) I shouldn't have any difficulty rolling back, or forward at will.
I had the same arrangement between XP, and Win 8, and used to jump back and forth on the same hardware using the same license for experimental purposes.
After quite a few of these swaps, MS would get annoyed, and force me to activate by phone, still using the same license, but making the process long and drawn out.
All this while I am using the same system hardware. a first gen I-7 995, extreme (BLOOMFIELD), water cooled on a Intel board DX058, socket1366, 24 GB RAM, with a TTake 1000 W PSU, Two PNY GTX660ti's, and two LG BD opticals.
I have a LSI SAS controller in the case that runs 10 TB in a raid 5 configuration for immediate movie storage, and a QNAP NAS with two 30 TB raid 5's for long term storage.
All my HD's are WD reds. wouldn't have any other brand of HD even if they were free.
It really sucks up the power, keeps my office nice and warm in the cold months.
Some times the utility publishes a graph on the invoice that shows your individual standing regarding power usage with realtion to your neighbors usage.
Mine is off the chart. Screw the environment, I'm having too much fun.

Art
Enterprise volumes don't qualify for Windows 10 upgrade. MS stated this already. And if your Enterprise license get blacklisted all your updates for be for not-and your company will get the same blacklist as well. Never heard of Win7 unlimited activation variety. There is only Enterprise and those don't fall into Windows 10 upgrade category from MS.

Hello Art, Thanks for sharing your experience with upgrading your PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I wish to ask you a few questions. Does installing Windows 10 de-activate the Windows 7 install at the Microsoft Homebase? I image my partitions. Can one restore the Windows 7 "C" partition without a "formal" rollback? What is a "formal" rollback? Does one have to backup all partitions before installing Windows 10? I have a new Dell that I need to install Windows 7 Pro before the deadline if I want a "FREE" copy of Windows 10. My plan is to install Windows 7 Pro and image the "C" partition. Then install Windows 10 and image the "C" partition and then restore my Windows 7 Pro image and resume configuring, etc. So, I have a Windows 10 install as an image? The PC I am using is Windows 7 and I am not sure if I want to do Windows 10. The new PC will serve as a backup because I didn't want to have to buy a Windows 8 or 10 PC unless I had to. Do you or anyone else have comments on my plan or make any suggestions?

Hello hennlen:

1.) When your system is converted from Win-7 to Win-10 using the free upgrade path, the Win-7 activation key is used to ensure that your 7/OS is a valid copy. The M/S automated activation server system will use this information to proceed with the 10 upgrade.
None of win-7 license info. will be deleted, erased, blocked, or blacklisted. This info is needed to be referred to, in case you are dissatified with the 10 install, and want to roll back to 7.
MS advertises that you have 31 days to make up your mind, if you want to take this path. This is what I think you mean by "Formal Rollback" You will wind up with your Win-7 system back, as if nothing happened. (yeah, right).
I advise you to do a slipstream process to your original Win-7 install DVD. The output will result in a win -7 install DVD that has all of the latest updates that have been released since your particular O/S disks timeframe.
It can be a long drawn out process, but will save you hours later if you want to do a clean install.
Google "Slipstreaming WIN-7", and pick the explanation with the fewest misspelled words.
The Win 10 activation license that is assigned to your hardware, and recorded on the activation server, is unique of course, but does contain some encrypted DNA from the 7 license. This allows a common connection between the two O/S's

2.) In the case of your "DELL", you better get cracking with the "7" install. The "7" O/S has to be at a certain update level before it will be considered for a free "10". This is where a slipstreamed "7" install DVD will really come in handy.
It saves time, which you don't have a lot of right now.
Make sure that you have auto update turned on in the control panel of the Dell "7"
Cross your fingers that the little white window (free-10) appears in the sys tray before the cutoff date.

3.) I would do things in this order:
a.) Download an .ISO of Win-10 from the microsoft site, hide it in a safe place, once the MS activation servers see your hardware after the free upgrade , you're in the system. If you roll back to "7", and don't like it any more, you can use your .iso to build a clean "10 O/S' that already has an activation key at M/S.
b.) Build a slipstreamed "7" install DVD to make your DELL situation go faster.
c.) Use a dual boot manager on either of your P/C's to jump back and forth between the different O/S's at boot time. (If this appeals to you).
d.) You may have to purchase a second Win-7 key for the Dell, in case it is a homebuild, or didn't come with an O/S. In any case really consider slipstreaming the one you buy.
A lot of retail P/C's don't include an O/S disk with the sale. They do include a couple of recovery disks that can restore the WIN-Nt files, and the sys32 files, in case they become corrupted.
These recovery discs cannot be used to do an install. If you run into trouble with your O/S, the will save you about 15% of the time, get you booted, and still leave you with a crippled system.

I hope I have been helpful to you.
Just jump in and start doing it.
You don't have much time left.

Good Luck
Art.

I thought, I'd share my experience with upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10...

2 days before going to the hospital for a few weeks, Microsoft's GWX update tool kept nagging, and I thought it might be too late for me to update, depending on when I get back. I wanted to take my laptop with me, so I thought, updating to Win10 might be a nice idea, especially since the early difficulties should be ironed out and I had heard some good reviews from friends.

So I started the update which worked like a charm, and quite quickly too, since I had exchanged my old harddrive with a Samsung Evo 850 SSD a while ago.

Then I installed some of the software I need and had become used too. But then I noticed that many of the functions I was used from my Sony Vaio - which is already a few years old - weren't working. For example my laptop has got a hardware switch to switch between the onboard Intel Graphics chip and a faster AMD Radeon solution for games or GPU apps. The switch didn't work under Windows10, and Windows just chose the onboard chip. Both cards were shown in the device manager, but the quicker Radeon GPU wasn't used which to me meant "No games with any kind of 3D gfx or rendering" :eek:

Some other functions were also missing. So I checked the Sony site for Vaio drivers for Windows10 just to read that they wouldn't bother providing device drivers for Win10 for my model and a lot of others, although many of those weren't antique yet.

So I thought "Luckily I can rollback... Then I'll keep my Windows 7 or update to Windows 8.1 at some time". I started the rollback, and when my laptop rebooted, I received a bluescreen. I repeated this a few times, but the bluescreen stayed. Luckily I had created a set of recovery DVDs to set up Windows 7 to the state I got when I bought the laptop. I booted to repair mode and tried to have Windows automatically fix the boot issues. This went on for about an hour before I was told "Windows can't fix the boot problem" (n)

At the end I used the recovery mode to rescue all my data, fotos, MP3s, videos, etc. to a USB harddrive and recreated the original state by using my recovery DVDs whichgam deleted everything else from my SSD and later recovered my important documents from the USB harddrive. This whole Windows10 testing and Windows7 recovery procedure took me a whole night. I'm glad my Win7 is working again as it should, and I don't plan on upgrading to Windows10 any more - at least not with this laptop. I'm quite unhappy about Sony not being able to provide some Windows10 drivers for the most important laptop functions, although the laptop is only a few years old. It already had a bluray drive built in and is still working well for many games, although the screen rate for something like GTA5 makes it look more like a powerpoint presentation of course ^^

And secondly I'm quite disappointed about the bluescreen when rolling back. A working rollback function would have saved me many hours of work. I know people who didn't have any problem with their rollback, but it doesn't seem to work 100%. So be careful.

I thought, I'd share my experience with upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10...

2 days before going to the hospital for a few weeks, Microsoft's GWX update tool kept nagging, and I thought it might be too late for me to update, depending on when I get back. I wanted to take my laptop with me, so I thought, updating to Win10 might be a nice idea, especially since the early difficulties should be ironed out and I had heard some good reviews from friends.

So I started the update which worked like a charm, and quite quickly too, since I had exchanged my old harddrive with a Samsung Evo 850 SSD a while ago.

Then I installed some of the software I need and had become used too. But then I noticed that many of the functions I was used from my Sony Vaio - which is already a few years old - weren't working. For example my laptop has got a hardware switch to switch between the onboard Intel Graphics chip and a faster AMD Radeon solution for games or GPU apps. The switch didn't work under Windows10, and Windows just chose the onboard chip. Both cards were shown in the device manager, but the quicker Radeon GPU wasn't used which to me meant "No games with any kind of 3D gfx or rendering" :eek:

Some other functions were also missing. So I checked the Sony site for Vaio drivers for Windows10 just to read that they wouldn't bother providing device drivers for Win10 for my model and a lot of others, although many of those weren't antique yet.

So I thought "Luckily I can rollback... Then I'll keep my Windows 7 or update to Windows 8.1 at some time". I started the rollback, and when my laptop rebooted, I received a bluescreen. I repeated this a few times, but the bluescreen stayed. Luckily I had created a set of recovery DVDs to set up Windows 7 to the state I got when I bought the laptop. I booted to repair mode and tried to have Windows automatically fix the boot issues. This went on for about an hour before I was told "Windows can't fix the boot problem" (n)

At the end I used the recovery mode to rescue all my data, fotos, MP3s, videos, etc. to a USB harddrive and recreated the original state by using my recovery DVDs whichgam deleted everything else from my SSD and later recovered my important documents from the USB harddrive. This whole Windows10 testing and Windows7 recovery procedure took me a whole night. I'm glad my Win7 is working again as it should, and I don't plan on upgrading to Windows10 any more - at least not with this laptop. I'm quite unhappy about Sony not being able to provide some Windows10 drivers for the most important laptop functions, although the laptop is only a few years old. It already had a bluray drive built in and is still working well for many games, although the screen rate for something like GTA5 makes it look more like a powerpoint presentation of course ^^

And secondly I'm quite disappointed about the bluescreen when rolling back. A working rollback function would have saved me many hours of work. I know people who didn't have any problem with their rollback, but it doesn't seem to work 100%. So be careful.
Thanks to Everyone for taking the time to provide your comments and experiences. I am too busy (being a caregiver, family matters, etc.) and with NO time I will just install Windows 7 Pro on my new 1.5 year old Dell (it's been sitting for 1.5 years)! I may just sit on the sidelines for now and see what MS does with Windows 10, etc. Thanks Again!

Maybe the windows update icon will dissapear soon. I will never upgrade to 10 until I build a new PC.

Afaik they'll push a new windows update that removes all traces.

There are little known exceptions.
Not in the link I found.
Myerson also branded Windows 10 as a "Windows-As-A-Service" platform given that it will be kept current for its supported lifetime. That's a big step for Microsoft and good news for small businesses. Unfortunately, Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise are not part of the free Windows 10 upgrade program.
Comes from MS themselves saying this. One can read it here.
http://www.tomsitpro.com/articles/microsoft-windows-business-enterprise-update,1-2437.html

So upgrades don't quality so the Company will have to buy a full Enterprise license and be subject to MS rules and changes they make.

Back