• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

weird problem with my backups

No, I haven't tried outputting from Recode to a folder. I have only either created an image or done a burn. That sounds like a good exercise for today.

After all my fun trying to update Recode and then visiting the CDFreaks Recode forum this morning I am just about ready to consider Nero as bad money spent and be done with it. Oh well, live and learn.

It's too bad there isn't one all inclusive solution that performs the whole process. If I could select titles as in CloneDVD, edit content as in VOBBlanker, get better compression as with DVDShrink or Recode and burn as with Recode or Imgburn I would be set and would be willing to pay for it.

I like my process with CloneDVD/Recode/ImgBurn. It's never failed me. VobBlanker's useful, too, at times for those embedded things that CloneDVD can't touch. But, try my method, see if that works for you. I bet it will. Recode is great at compression. I just wish it'd play nicer with my machine when running VMWare.

I like my process with CloneDVD/Recode/ImgBurn. It's never failed me. VobBlanker's useful, too, at times for those embedded things that CloneDVD can't touch. But, try my method, see if that works for you. I bet it will. Recode is great at compression. I just wish it'd play nicer with my machine when running VMWare.

I'm giving it a try now. LOL, it took me a while to root out all the junk from all the testing but there's enough HDD reclaimed now to go at it again.

am i missing something? do you want a playable dvd or a file on your HDD? how do you burn with recode? isnt that for converting? didnt have any issues with my copy of jb.

am i missing something? do you want a playable dvd or a file on your HDD? how do you burn with recode? isnt that for converting? didnt have any issues with my copy of jb.

Yes, you're missing a lot. First off, Recode burns just fine. But the problem Tristyn was having is that the output from Recode was not able to be played back with AnyDVD enabled. After a *LOT* of troubleshooting we narrowed down the problem to Recode. This has nothing to do with Jungle Book. It has everything to do with the Recode burn(which uses the Nero burning engine, obviously). That's why I said to use Recode, output to the hard drive, and use ImgBurn to burn that.

huh, ok then doesnt clonedvd work? or import the files into nero vision?
please tell me to go away if i am just cluttering this up.

huh, ok then doesnt clonedvd work? or import the files into nero vision?

Nero Vision??? CloneDVD works fine, except that the compression leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of us use CloneDVD to pre-process the DVD...meaning unselecting titlesets we want to remove. This is great because it allows us to keep the menus and all the titlesets we want. Recode doesn't really allow that very easily. This also gives us the benefit of using CloneDVD to rip the title, which is highly recommended as it's probably the best ripping solution out there. The output from CloneDVD(which is not compressed in our scenario), is then imported into Recode. The great part is you don't have to mess with it in Recode. Just import it and let it compress. I have Recode output that to another folder on the hard drive. I then burn that folder with ImgBurn to a disc.

(You're not cluttering anything...you have legitimate questions that I'd like to help answer)

so u always do it that way? even if after the menus are stripped the rest is able to fit on a single layer disc? wouldnt clonedvd be the easiest route then? i guess i could understand that then if you want to keep everything or it just wont fit on a single layer disc. i havent noticed an issue ever with clonedvd compressing it onto a single layer so this just seems like 2 extra steps to me. your call though.
Nero vision allows you to edit, create chapters, etc of your movies.

I never strip the menus and I tend to keep extras. So, it's never going to fit on a single DVD without compression for me. IF, for whatever reason, after I strip the titlesets I don't want the movie would fit on a DVD-5 at that point, then yes, of course I'm going to just burn the CloneDVD output. But I don't use CloneDVD for compression at all any more. Yea, it's an extra step to use Recode, but, the results are stellar. I can definitely tell the difference on my 50" LCoS HDTV. You'll find a LOT of people use this same methodology to backup their discs. It's not just me. :) Some people use Shrink in place of Recode, but, it's the same principle.

Yea, I know what Nero Vision is...it's an editor. I didn't see the relevance to making a backup of a commercial DVD, that's all.

gotcha, i only have a 42 so maybe that could be why, bigger screen will see more artifacts and such.
vision can transcode as well i think, never needed it to but i believe it can. it probably uses the recode engine to do it but its a way around using the standard way of recode. never mind. i'm done then. thanks for the edjimacation.

Any time. Glad I could help. Also, for the record, I don't *always* use the same method for every disc. I'm one of those freaks that tailor the backup solution to the disc at hand. For instance, if the disc doesn't require a lot of compression or is a non-action movie that I just don't care about visual quality, I'll use CloneDVD. However, if the disc requires a *LOT* of compression and I don't have any DL discs kicking around, I'll use CloneDVD to pre-process and then run it through DVD-RB Pro using HCenc to get excellent results. It all depends on the movie itself and how much stuff there is on it that I want to keep.

dude your knowledge as always astounds me.

ps you wouldnt happen to have the nero HD plug-in woulda?

Nope. The only parts of Nero I use are the burning engine and Recode. I'm TRYING to get Nero Media Home to work so I can stream video to my PS3 and 360 a lot easier, but, I'm having issues. They just sent me directions this morning to try. Let's hope it works.

tried that for about a week straight. whata a pain. oh yeah, "just do this and that and your set". whatever. i gave up on all forms of streaming at this point. 1 TB external HDD works better for me now. little annoying moving it back and forth but i'm ok with it.

I can stream to the 360 no problem. Even HD stuff that I record on my Fusion USB HD tuner and off my motorola cable boxes via firewire. The problem is that the 360 is tied to one machine using media center to do the streaming. I have 2 video machines that I record video on. What *I* see happening with Nero Media Home is that it BSODs the capture driver I use for the motorola boxes. Well, I have that on both video machines, so, I'm screwed. They sent me directions to clean out ALL references to Nero from the machine and reinstall. I'll try it, but, I'm not optimistic. I'm pretty sure it's a device enumeration issue when Media Home starts up, but, what do I know. I'm only a software engineer. :D I'll try their instructions and hope that it works.

i should put my hd tuner back in. its collecting dust in a corner. not much on tv these days that i would care to record in hd anyway. movies are the way 2 go. think my other thread about vision would work though?

whats yer gamertag? if we have the same games maybe i could shoot you a few times!!

I don't get to play online very often. I mostly play golf with a friend of mine when I have time. As for your vision idea, I'm not really sure, tbh.

YAY! I used your method and got a perfect backup. I did add the step of running it through VOB Blanker as that 870MB chuck of black video just had to go.

Thanks again, very well done!

YAY! I used your method and got a perfect backup. I did add the step of running it through VOB Blanker as that 870MB chuck of black video just had to go.

Thanks again, very well done!

Excellent. Glad I could help. For whatever reason Recode's image output and burning isn't doing it for you, but, at least you have a very workable workaround.

Back