• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Weird problem - alleged "tech support" removed filters in registry

Hi - I have a weird problem, and I don't really know how to solve this one...

I was on the phone with the manufacturer's alleged "tech support" tonight. I explained to the gentleman on the phone that my DVD-RW had failed completely. Insert a disk, and it goes "click-click-click-click-click-click" and then spits it back out.

He *insisted* on "taking control" of my computer, and proceeded to try a bunch of stuff - most of which was either [a] pointless (like right-clicking on the drive in My Computer) or something I had already checked (like going to Device Manager to see if any problem was reported there).

During all of his fumbling around, I had to step away from the computer for - LITERALLY - less than a minute. When I got back, he was in RegEdit, and was deleting the "Maplom" upper and lower filter values!

How do I recover these registry values? My problem is if I just reinstall Game Jackal, I will lose my hard-won profile for S2 Mansions and Gardens. And I won't have a CD/DVD drive until next week when they send out the tech with a new drive to replace it, so I can't re-install ALL of my S2 games (and EPs and SPs). I'm worried that GJ won't work if I try to use it right now, so I haven't even started it, because I don't want to spork my profile.

Do those values matter? Can I safely play my games while I wait for the new drive? Or has the alleged "tech" sporked my GJ install?

Thanks for any info you can offer! :)

I'm worried that GJ won't work if I try to use it right now

It won't unless you reinstall Game Jackal. As for your profile not working, you may have to create new ones. Any other Slysoft software you had installed will (likely) need to be reinstalled as well.

Insert a disk, and it goes "click-click-click-click-click-click" and then spits it back out.

That's typically a sign of either a dead drive or a defective/dirty disc--and not a driver issue. So he shouldn't have been deleting your lower and upperfilters from your registry. You can tell him that I called him a moron, and he should stop blindly following steps outlined for him on his computer screen by his tech support department.

At the very least that "tech" should have backed up your registry before deleting anything.

Last edited:
As we say around these parts, I about "fell out" when I realized that he had not backed up my registry first. I chewed him a new one, believe me.

My hubby suggested that I go back to a "system restore" point, but I those don't actually contain registry values, do they?

I am well and truly sporked.

With no drive, there is no point in messing with GJ - I can't recreate my profile because I can't use the drive to recreate the profile.

Aaaaaaaggggghhhh!

Thanks! :)

(Happy GJ user since 2004, btw)

My hubby suggested that I go back to a "system restore" point, but I those don't actually contain registry values, do they?

Yes, they do, actually. Your husband's idea is valid. That tech should have created a restore point for you before deleting anything in your registry. If he didn't, I would escalate your complaint. I mean it's not just Slysoft software that may have been rendered inoperative by that tech's actions. You may need to reinstall other programs.

Before performing a system restore, create a new restore point first.

With no drive, there is no point in messing with GJ - I can't recreate my profile because I can't use the drive to recreate the profile.

Yeah, typically that clicking noise means your drive is dead (especially if it's happening with all discs). :(

Optical drives for desktops don't cost much though (unless you buy a Blu-ray drive). $20-$40 usually . . .

Last edited:
Yeah - I knew it was dead before I called.

I've been working with computers for more than 20 years now - the last 12 years I have been dealing almost exclusively with laptops.

This particular manufacturer is no favorite of mine. I wound up buying the lappy because I got such a good deal on it, and I knew it would run my fave games. It came with three years of "on-site service", so come Monday or Tuesday, there will be someone here with a shiny new drive. He (or she) will install it, test it, and take away the dead drive for proper disposal.

What is most frustrating for me is when I have to call these alleged "tech support" people. They can only go by the script on the computer; they can't deviate from that because most of them have no actual knowledge to draw on. They don't know what to do with an experienced or knowledgeable user; it just flusters them.

Oh well. Enough ranting and raving for tonight!

Thanks again! :)

What is most frustrating for me is when I have to call these alleged "tech support" people. They can only go by the script on the computer; they can't deviate from that because most of them have no actual knowledge to draw on. They don't know what to do with an experienced or knowledgeable user; it just flusters them.

Oh, it's a laptop drive . . . and those do cost more.

Anyway, yeah, I don't built laptops (I hate working within small areas, and laptop stuff tends to die easier), so I know what you're going through. I hate dealing with other people's tech support.

I build my own desktops. But for my laptops, I do deal with other companies.

Last edited:
Like Webslinger said, you can use restore to restore the registry.

You wont lose any profiles if you uninstall GJ though and re-install.
If you are worried about this, you can just copy your 'Profile Library' folder to another location as a backup, and copy it back when you are done installing again.

Back