• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Watching DVD & BluRay on AppleTV with no/minimal transcoding

moviefox

I would like to take a break from streaming movies to watch old DVD and BluRay movies I have purchased. I don't know the state of conversion software, so I will ask a very basic question. Hopefully the answer is useful to others too!

For BluRay and DVD movies which I have purchased, what do I need in order to enjoy these on a current AppleTV (supports apps)? I'm looking for a solution with no transcoding, or minimal at the most.

I have:
  • Windows 10 PC with USB BluRay drive for ripping
  • Synology NAS for storing movies
  • AppleTV (new generation supporting apps) for playback
  • 100Mb wired network, should be fast enough for high bitrates
Is purchasing AnyDVD HD enough on the Windows side, or do I need additional software to turn BluRays and DVDs into playable files which can be stored on the NAS?

What specific AppleTV work well? Is the VideoLAN port good? How about Infuse? I wish for something that supports both 5.1 sound and the subtitles from most of these discs.

I would like to take a break from streaming movies to watch old DVD and BluRay movies I have purchased. I don't know the state of conversion software, so I will ask a very basic question. Hopefully the answer is useful to others too!

For BluRay and DVD movies which I have purchased, what do I need in order to enjoy these on a current AppleTV (supports apps)? I'm looking for a solution with no transcoding, or minimal at the most.

I have:
  • Windows 10 PC with USB BluRay drive for ripping
  • Synology NAS for storing movies
  • AppleTV (new generation supporting apps) for playback
  • 100Mb wired network, should be fast enough for high bitrates
Is purchasing AnyDVD HD enough on the Windows side, or do I need additional software to turn BluRays and DVDs into playable files which can be stored on the NAS?

What specific AppleTV work well? Is the VideoLAN port good? How about Infuse? I wish for something that supports both 5.1 sound and the subtitles from most of these discs.
Welcome to the Forum.

For Blu-ray discs, all you need is AnyDVD and probably CloneBD (I'd strongly recommend purchasing a copy of Cyberlink's PowerDVD Ultra just so you can test any rips that you make, and the fact it is more of less the best way to get playback on official Blu-ray discs and and Blu-ray 3D playback), to help you back up your Blu-rays into any format that you want, and to test if anything is wrong with your rip of a disc.

Plus, the combo of AnyDVD/CloneBD can help you back any Blu-ray discs that have Cinavia on them, making them playable on any Cinavia enabled hardware or software player. Please check out this link for more info. By the way, CloneBD is on sale for 20% off, in combo with CloneDVD2, which you can use with AnyDVD to back up your DVDS. CloneBD is also on a long, extended trial period until elby--the makers of the product---feels that the program has progressed to the point in which it has matured as a product (it is always evolving with the latest Blu-ray changes,) so if you don't want CloneBD at this time, you can test it indefinitely, until they deem it finished.

Cinavia is mandatory for all Blu-ray Disc Association approved officially licensed Blu-ray hardware & software players since February 1, 2012, such as PowerDVD. It's an audio watermark that stops licensed software and hardware players from playing a copy of a disc or iso that has Cinavia on it. Please Google for more info on that, and how it affects your Blu-ray playback.

VideoLAN is ok--I have it on my system as well, since it's free, but I'd strongly recommend getting PowerDVD Ultra due to the fact it's an officially licensed playback software, and it's on discount until the newest version of PowerDVD Ultra--version 17--comes out either at the end of this month or sometime next month. Plus, you can use AnyDVD HD to block the Cinavia audio check in PowerDVD, allowing you to playback any Blu-ray/DVD/iso etc. that you desire.

I don't have AppleTV or Infuse, so I have no opinion on them.

Oh, I almost forgot: CloneCD is useful for helping back up your Blu-ray discs, and is useful with DVDs. Please check out this link here for more info. And, since both it and AnyDVD are on sale for 20% off (you have to purchase CloneDVD2 and CloneBD separately, I think, but they are also on sale together at 20% off as well) it would be useful to have as another tool to have for your backup purposes.

Anyway, I think I've given you more than enough info to digest. Good luck in what you choose.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Forum.

For Blu-ray discs, all you need is AnyDVD and probably CloneBD to help you back up your Blu-rays into any format that you want. [...] By the way, CloneBD is on sale for 20% off, in combo with CloneDVD2, which you can use with AnyDVD to back up your DVDS.

Thank you so much. It sounds like AnyDVD HD, CloneBD, and CloneDVD2 should complete the set. I had perpetual licenses of most products with the old company, and I got enough use out of them that I'll probably do the same after a quick trial. Especially at 20% off, looks like my timing is lucky.

btw. What have you used for streaming ? Airflow ?

I meant commercial streaming. Netflix and iTunes store. But I've got enough purchased optical media that it's silly not to have quick access to this on the NAS as well.

Airflow looks kind of cool, but ideally I'd like to get this all to something that works with a regular remote control. Busting out a laptop to VNC to a desktop and kick off transcoding kind of ruins the flow of date nights. Same reason I don't go with the desktop VLC port's ability to stream to a Chromecast. When I find the girl who understands how sexy and magical VNC really is, I guess I'll know I met a keeper.

Thank you so much. It sounds like AnyDVD HD, CloneBD, and CloneDVD2 should complete the set. I had perpetual licenses of most products with the old company, and I got enough use out of them that I'll probably do the same after a quick trial. Especially at 20% off, looks like my timing is lucky.

I meant commercial streaming. Netflix and iTunes store. But I've got enough purchased optical media that it's silly not to have quick access to this on the NAS as well.

Airflow looks kind of cool, but ideally I'd like to get this all to something that works with a regular remote control. Busting out a laptop to VNC to a desktop and kick off transcoding kind of ruins the flow of date nights. Same reason I don't go with the desktop VLC port's ability to stream to a Chromecast. When I find the girl who understands how sexy and magical VNC really is, I guess I'll know I met a keeper.
If you have previously bought licenses of the other products before Slysoft became RedFox last year, you don't have to repurchase them:

Important information for SlySoft license owners!

SlySoft license keys for AnyDVD (HD) will only work up to version 7.6.9.5. The RedFox OPD (Online Protection Database) for this version will be available until Tuesday, May 31, 2016, afterwards AnyDVD HD may no longer be able to decrypt discs.

SlySoft licenses of other products are not affected and will continue to work normally.

https://www.redfox.bz/download.html

How many times do we need to repeat this? Slysoft DID NOT become Redfox. Slysoft got SHUT DOWN!

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013) with Tapatalk

Back