• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Warner Swayed by $500 million from the BDA

SamuriHL,

About Pan's Labyrinth, I got it working with PowerDVD 3516, I don't remember if I got to update my status on it, but it seems 3319a has a bug with extracting the 5.1 core. By the way, the core is only 5.1, right? There is no such thing as a 7.1 DTS core? Cause 3516 only extracts 5.1 (which is fine anyway).

I'm not sure on the 7.1 vs 5.1. I know DTS supports 7.1 so I would THINK core does, but, I honestly don't know. I was going to grab it today but it's 35 USD where I live and that's a bit much. I'll hold off for a bit. I can get it on Amazon for 25, but, there's another store in my area that usually has them as cheap or cheaper than Amazon. Anyway, I'm glad you got it working with 3516.

Hmm I haven't tried them, but I'm skeptical of these kind of multi-speaker headphones. Do they do any processing, or are they just several speakers in a pair of headphones? Both of our ears capture the sounds coming from everywhere and due to the shape of the ear and other subtleties we can tell where sounds are coming from. If only one ear is getting the sounds supposedly coming from the left or right, I don't know how the brain might interpret this. I'd like to give it a try, though, if only to double-check. Have you compared this to Dolby Headphone? In PowerDVD you can sample Dolby Headphone, and those DVDs with THX audio setup calibrators are a pretty good source.

Hmm I haven't tried them, but I'm skeptical of these kind of multi-speaker headphones. Do they do any processing

No. That's why I need internal decoding.

Have you compared this to Dolby Headphone?

Yes. Personally, I feel the ones I linked to walked all over anything I've heard via 2 channel sound with $500 headpones (and I have an Auzentech Prelude 7.1 soundcard in my computer) with respect to positional audio: http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/sound/Auzentech/Prelude/Page5.asp#Conclusion

2 channel sound on $500 headphones is obviously much better, but I do like the movie soundtracks better on the Medusa's.

Last edited:
CHK CHK...that's the sound of the shotgun loading as it prepares to blow a hole through that which was HD DVD...

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/07/paramount-following-warner-out-the-hd-dvd-door/

That can NOT be good for HD DVD at all. Stick a fork in it...

I don't consider this a reliable source. I don't believe Paramount has a "get out" clause in the contract, in case "Warner abandons HD DVD". Let's wait for a Paramount press release...

This sounds more reasonable:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news...orks:__Still_Supporting_HD_DVD_[UPDATED]/1345

I don't consider this a reliable source. I don't believe Paramount has a "get out" clause in the contract, in case "Warner abandons HD DVD". Let's wait for a Paramount press release...

This sounds more reasonable:
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news...orks:__Still_Supporting_HD_DVD_[UPDATED]/1345

I saw that, too, however, I had read something about a clause to abandon HD DVD if sales of the format drop below a certain point. (I have NO idea what those terms are.) But, if Warner's defection to Blu-ray triggers that then they could be within their right to get the hell out while they can. And at this point, really, who could blame them?? So yea, maybe the news is premature, but, even if they're even CONSIDERING it, that doesn't speak well for HD DVD.

So yea, maybe the news is premature, but, even if they're even CONSIDERING it, that doesn't speak well for HD DVD.

Well, nothing lately spoke well for HD DVD.... :(

Well, nothing lately spoke well for HD DVD.... :(

I know, it sucks. But, the bright side is that if this format war ends and Paramount defects, maybe we'll finally see some freaking Star Trek on Blu-ray. And the Blu fans will finally get Transformers. Also if it ends, maybe we'll finally get more people to get into HD which is a benefit to us all. More consumers, more movies.

I know, it sucks. But, the bright side is that if this format war ends and Paramount defects, maybe we'll finally see some freaking Star Trek on Blu-ray. And the Blu fans will finally get Transformers. Also if it ends, maybe we'll finally get more people to get into HD which is a benefit to us all. More consumers, more movies.

This is how I look at it personally.

It should be possible to connect them to the Pre-Amp outputs of a HDMI receiver. At least this would be worth a try.

Yeah, I have avoided doing that because I don't want to run audio through two amps, but I think what you wrote is what I'm going to have to do in the future. Thanks

This probably isn't the right thread for this but...

I'm hoping one big studio at least holds out and instead of being HD-DVD exclusive or BD exclusive says, "F*** it! We'll do both." I say this because if a big studio is still releasing HD-DVD then it allows the market to continue and this is beneficial to the small studios. I actually wonder if small studios will gather together under an umbrella in an attempt to pay for AACS licenses. They can't do it alone as individuals.

One thing that really strikes me is that SD DVD will be around but for how long? I received a gift for the holidays and it came with an intructional/informational DVD. The disc had zero protection on it. It had no CSS. Go 3 years in the future. This company for this disc couldn't afford an AACS license. Releasing this disc on BD would be ludicrous so they are relegated to use old technology or HD-DVD if it still exists. In the case of the disc I am discussing the quality of SD DVD is fine but in all cases it is not.

I just really hope at least one studio doesn't completely cave to BD. We need one studio to stand up and do what's right.

Inexpensive Playstation 3/blu-ray player deal

Since some of you may now be thinking blu-ray due recent events here is a deal you might consider. If you go to S$nyStyle.com and sign up for their S$ny credit card, you get 100 dollars off your first purchase. I was able to purchase a Playstation 3 40 gb for 430.00 (tax plus free shipping). S$ny was prompt in giving me the 100 dollar discount lowering the bill to 330 dollars within the month. I believe you still have a year to pay it off after opening the account. Not a bad deal. This could also apply to any other S$ny blu-ray player on the S$nyStyle site.
All I had to do was add an HDMI cable ( down to about 7 dollars these days) and a S$ny bluetooth remote (about 20-25 bucks) and I'm good for a cheap blu-ray player with remote (as well as being able the play PS3 games. The 40gb will NOT play PS2 games, however.. I already have a PS2 to do that)

Anyway.. something to consider.

surfinusa90210

Sony wins by playing dirty, big surprise. Here's to hoping Blu-Ray is a big failure and a big loss of money for them. As much as I prefer disc based media I hope downloadable content catches on and kills their format. To anyone considering a Blu-Ray player be aware of considerable DRM and the fact that it's an unfinished . I'll get the titles I really want just because I already have a combo drive, once I can pay to download the titles in the same quality bye bye blu. I suggest everyone else do the same.

honestly at this point i hope they both become traitors and go blu. HD DVD was and still IS how it should be but i think it was samwise that said the writing was on the wall as soon as disney went blu exclusively long ago. i am tired of not getting the movies i want because they are only blu. i havent bought a player yet becuase i truly believe sony is the devil and gave my support to HD DVD. they play dirty.
only way they could possibly come back would be to release an ultimate xbox AND open up the licenseing to manufacturers for anyone to incorporate the 360 into whatever they want, but looks like that wont happen now either otherwise billy would have announced that during his keynote. then again sony would have spearheaded that somehow too. looks like it will play out like below.
Dream and Para do have a backout clause and leave HD DVD (1-2 months-ish)
Blu is declared winner (sony issues press release seconds after above)
James announces up yers sony and that BD+ is fully broken and releases new version of the greatest software known to man

Last edited:
Back