• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Warner Swayed by $500 million from the BDA

According to one of the threads recently, PowerDVD is having problems with Pans Labyrinth and decoding the audio. I'm pretty sure it has DTS HD:MA on it. That's going to seriously irritate me as that's definitely on my list of titles to pick up asap.
I don't have Pan's Labyrinth (watched it in SD a while ago), but I have several European HD DVDs with DTS HD-MA, never had a problem with PowerDVD. IIRC "Simpson's the movie" and "Die Hard 4" (Fox, BD+) had DTS-HD MA, too (or was it only DTS-HD?), no problem with PowerDVD. Does PowerDVD really decode MA? Or only the core?

I don't have Pan's Labyrinth (watched it in SD a while ago), but I have several European HD DVDs with DTS HD-MA, never had a problem with PowerDVD. IIRC "Simpson's the movie" and "Die Hard 4" (Fox, BD+) had DTS-HD MA, too (or was it only DTS-HD?), no problem with PowerDVD. Does PowerDVD really decode MA? Or only the core?

That's a great question. But apparently some people are having problems with it with PowerDVD. They said after like 2 minutes, it switches over to 5.1 and they can hear it, but, if they skip ahead after that it goes back to DTS-HD MA and they lose the sound. I'm wondering...is it possible they didn't include DTS core and they don't have PowerDVD audio options set to downmix? If PowerDVD doesn't have issues with DTS-HD MA, then I won't have a problem with my analog outputs. Damnit, now I'm curious. I may have to go get this one tomorrow with one of my remaining gift cards. :)

Ok, I'm going to bed. This has been an enlightening thread though. I'll check back tomorrow. :)

Thank you for that information. Actually, I'm very concerned about what you just wrote.

Maybe this is HD DVD's last chance to win - the miracle:
imagine all people actually *buy* standalone BD players (nobody did yet - it was "PS3 only") and give them back because "Pirates of the Carribean" and "Spiderman 3" takes 5 minutes to load? And Toshiba shows "how it could have been".

Thousands of people yelling "I want my HD DVD!" :D

But next gen BD players will likely have some faster processors.

According to one of the threads recently, PowerDVD is having problems with Pans Labyrinth and decoding the audio. I'm pretty sure it has DTS HD:MA on it.

Yes, both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray versions do. That release is another example of the HD-DVD version offering everything the Blu-ray version offers in addition to web-enabled content.

So before Warner switched, what would compel me to buy the Blu-ray version?

Let's see: if I buy the Blu-ray version I get region-coding, (possibly) extra DRM, and no web-enabled content.

Last edited:
Yes, both the HD-DVD and Blu-ray versions do. There's another example of the HD-DVD version offering everything the Blu-ray version offers in addition to web-enabled content.

So before Warner switched, what would compel me to buy the Blu-ray version?
Nothing. Question is - what would compel you to buy the Blu version after Warner switched? Still nothing. Your Toshiba standalone player will (hopefully) not dissolve in the next couple of years... :) and as a HTPC user you can always "preserve" your investment on any backup medium you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a great question. But apparently some people are having problems with it with PowerDVD. They said after like 2 minutes, it switches over to 5.1 and they can hear it, but, if they skip ahead after that it goes back to DTS-HD MA and they lose the sound.
Ah-ok, I believe I never had a DTS-HD-MA title with 7.1 sound, only 5.1, that might explain it.

Your Toshiba standalone player will (hopefully) not dissolve in the next couple of years... :) and as a HTPC user you can always "preserve" your investment on any backup medium you like.

Yes, it's under extended warranty for a total of five years; so by the time it dies, maybe they'll have to give me a Blu-ray player (or hopefully, some miracle will happen and HD-DVD will be saved).

And yes, I'm going to be using Anydvd HD to preserve my HD-DVD movie purchases. Thank you for supporting HD-DVD so well. In fact, I may continue buying HD-DVD movies knowing that because of Anydvd HD, I don't have to worry too much.

Last edited:
Just read a funny (but true) signature at the AVS forum:

PS3 is a great Blu-Ray player poorly disguised as a mediocre game console. Too bad it's sold as a console. It might be the first trojan horse product in history where Sony forgot to include the horse.

I'm going to write the following on my calendar under "January 7th": "Today, James recommended that I should buy a Sony product." :D ;)

(I'm kidding).

Strange times. :(

Last edited:
I'm going to write the following on my calendar under "January 7th": "Today, James recommended that I should buy a Sony product." :D ;)

(I'm kidding).

Strange times. :(
At least Sony loses 200$ if you do. :D

The PS3 is a great media player.
Thats mostly what i use it for.

Upscales everything to 1080p.
Plays xvid, mp4, x264.

Plays xvid, mp4, x264.

So do all my HTPCs. They all have 1080p native.

Damn thing doesn't even have a "normal" IR remote.

Are there at least any good games for this thing?

Last edited:

Plays xvid, mp4, x264.

I don't have PS3 (yet), but from what I know it is inferior as a media player to devices like Mediagate or Dvico Tvix. It does not support playback of DVD rips from hard drive and does not even support NTFS formatted hard drives (both internal and external). And it's very pity, as PS3 has much better hardware than above mentioned devices. But things are improving gradually. It has got DivX playback in the latest firmware. Maybe they will add these two very much needed features (support for NTFS volumes and DVD rips playback) in the future, but I very much doubt they will for "political" reasons.

Also, can you play supported files (.mp3s, DivX .avis, etc.) from network shares with PS3? Or you have to setup UPnP streaming server to do that? I would definetely prefer network shares as I don't really like streaming servers.

Last edited:
Ah-ok, I believe I never had a DTS-HD-MA title with 7.1 sound, only 5.1, that might explain it.

I'm going to try and grab it today so I can mess around with it. I want that movie anyway as it was absolutely amazing.

So do all my HTPCs. They all have 1080p native.

Damn thing doesn't even have a "normal" IR remote.

Are there at least any good games for this thing?

On the day mine died, I got Heavenly Sword for it. All I can say is "HOLY BLEEPING WOW!" This is my first disc based game for it and I'm very impressed. I only got to play for a few minutes as my PS3 would crash non-stop, but, yea, there's some good games for it. Don't get any ports. Get exclusives only. They are claiming this will be the year of the PS3. It has potential. As a media player it's great. Screw the IR remote. Get the bluetooth remote. No need to even point it at the machine. "It just works." Overall I'm extremely pleased with the hardware. Sony DID do a good job there. Their pricing, marketing, and general attitude towards their customers are what suck. They're being forced to work on all 3 thanks to MS kicking their ass. :)

I am starting to like HD-DVD's better now I think with the use of flash drives connecting to TV's, but then again this would force a user to download the movies to I bet?

In Blu-ray Coup,
Sony Has Opening
But Hurdles, Too

Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray technology for high-definition DVDs has given the Japanese electronics giant an opportunity it hasn't had in 25 years: the chance to win a high-stakes format war and reap the benefits across its sprawling empire. However, its victory comes at a high cost and may be fleeting.

Sony on Friday scored a key win by luring Time Warner Inc.'s Warner Bros. to its Blu-ray technology, putting itself in a position to triumph over Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD after a years-long fight to become the standard for the next generation of DVDs.

However, Sony's push for Blu-ray -- which analysts estimate as an investment of hundreds of millions of dollars -- has cost the company in areas such as the key videogame market.

Many analysts believe that Sony's insistence on putting Blu-ray on its PlayStation 3 players gave it just enough extra consumers to help tilt next-generation DVD sales toward Blu-ray. Paul Erickson, analyst at the NPD Group's DisplaySearch research firm, calls it the "X factor" that "saved their Blu-ray fortunes." If Toshiba had underwritten the cost of putting HD DVD onto the rival Xbox 360 from Microsoft Corp., the reasoning goes, the battle might have swung another way.

But complications related to the Blu-ray technology played a part in repeated delays of the PlayStation 3 release, giving Microsoft's Xbox a full year in stores before the PlayStation 3 came out in November 2006. The PlayStation also had a heftier price tag than the Xbox. In the U.S., the Xbox 360 has outsold the PlayStation 3 more than 3-to-1 from the time the consoles have been on the market through November.

Even with major studios on board, Sony must still win over consumers to Blu-ray. Consumers were arguably better off with HD DVD technology, which generally cost less to produce, contributing to HD DVD players selling for as little as $99 over the holidays. Meanwhile, Blu-ray players cost about $300 and up -- and movie titles issued in Blu-ray are often sold for twice the cost of a regular DVD.

Both HD DVD and Blu-ray offer similarly crisp resolution and have extra features, such as interactivity, that aren't available on regular DVDs.

Then there is the Internet. Sony is counting on sluggish development and slow consumer acceptance of technology that will allow for quick and easy downloads of movies at home, sending them directly to the TV set. If that snowballs faster than expected, Sony may never recoup the costs of its Blu-ray investments.

In any case, most home-entertainment chiefs see next-generation DVD as a temporary format that will last only as long as it takes for a superior technology to catch on. Most agree that while online movie distribution is still too clunky for the casual movie consumer, one day in the not too distant future it will dominate.

For now, Blu-ray gives Sony the rare chance to capitalize on being the creator of a market-dominating tech product -- a status it has rarely known in recent years. In the 1980s, its Betamax videotape format lost to VHS. It failed in an effort to get significant chunks of its technology into the highly lucrative DVD format. More recently, it was outflanked by Apple Inc.'s iPod in the drive to create personal digital music players.

The Warner Bros. move to exclusively issue high-definition movies in Blu-ray tips the balance toward Blu-ray, leaving HD DVD with just a 25% share of the video market, compared with nearly half previously, according to Adams Media Research.

Now Sony can earn money on patents in Blu-ray technology as other companies license it to include it in items ranging from DVDs to computers.

Moreover, Sony's vast reach across so many technology and content areas will likely help keep Blu-ray in the ascendant for some years, helping keep at bay rival technologies that might arise. Sony's purchase of CBS Records in 1988 and Columbia Pictures in 1989 was an effort to gain greater influence over the content businesses its technology served, in part to avoid another fiasco like its Betamax venture.
[Howard Stringer]

But the outcome of the high-definition DVD battle remained uncertain until the final days before the annual Consumer Electronics Show, kicking off now in Las Vegas, where both sides like to make big announcements concerning their formats. Toshiba was still working hard last week to court Warner and News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox to use HD DVD exclusively. Warner was considering it, people familiar with the matter say, but when it realized Fox wouldn't leave Blu-ray, decided to go with Blu-ray exclusively as well, to bring an end to the format war.

A Blu-ray win is important for Sony Chief Executive Howard Stringer, who made it part of his mission to beef up the content and software offerings in a notoriously hardware-centric company when he took the helm 2½ years ago. As Sony nears completion of a three-year turnaround plan, Mr. Stringer also told reporters in Tokyo last month that driving innovation would be his next goal.

Over the last couple of years, Mr. Stringer, a former movie executive, was involved in many discussions with studios Sony was courting, people familiar with the matter say.

Toshiba, which conceded Friday that the Warner Bros. move is a "setback," is expected to continue making its case for HD DVD, at least for awhile. Paramount Pictures, a unit of Viacom Inc., plans to continue to support the HD DVD format, a spokeswoman said yesterday. The other remaining Hollywood supporter, General Electric Co.'s Universal Pictures, declined to comment.

For Toshiba, its declining fortunes in DVD are a big blow to plans to expand its consumer-electronics business. It had long counted on HD DVD technology as a driving force behind the unit's future growth. Like many other consumer-electronics companies, its plan was to sell interconnected fully-digital electronics products, and HD DVD technology was meant to play a central role.

Now, Toshiba will have to focus more on other areas that can help broaden its consumer-electronic presence, such as technologies that copy movies directly onto USB flash drives. Those are tiny sticks that consumers can just plug into their computers, or in the future, directly into their TVs.

"You're going to see that hard drives and reusable flash are much more economical and green" compared to DVDs, says Warren Lieberfarb, a consultant to Toshiba and former head of home entertainment at Warner Bros. "You don't need packaging." He sees portable drives as an interim technology that will last the five or 10 years it takes for online movie distribution to rise to the fore.

And while Microsoft's decision to leave HD DVD out of its Xbox may have cost the format some crucial support, Microsoft's bet appears to have paid off for its games business.

The technical specifications for HD DVD weren't ready at the time Microsoft was gearing up to start manufacturing the Xbox 360 in 2005. The Redmond, Wash., company was determined to beat Sony to market with its game console by introducing the Xbox 360 in time for the 2005 holiday shopping; waiting for HD DVD to be ready would have eaten away at the company's head start on Sony.

Microsoft never seriously considered integrating a high definition disc format onto its player, says Albert Penello, director of global platform marketing for Xbox. The company didn't want to force gamers to "pay for something they may never use," he says.

SamuriHL,

About Pan's Labyrinth, I got it working with PowerDVD 3516, I don't remember if I got to update my status on it, but it seems 3319a has a bug with extracting the 5.1 core. By the way, the core is only 5.1, right? There is no such thing as a 7.1 DTS core? Cause 3516 only extracts 5.1 (which is fine anyway).

Webslinger,

Which 5.1 headphones are you using? Do they use Dolby Headphone? I have a DH adaptor that you can use with any headphones, it works great. It takes PCM stereo and DD, DTS or "MPEG 2 AAC" (not tested this) mutichannel streams via S/PDIF, or stereo analog and converts to DH. It can also apply Dolby Pro Logic II, so for example I can play Gamecube (via the stereo analog, with the Gamecube game outputting in DPL II surround-encoded mode), or PS2 games (via the S/PDIF stereo PCM) in DH 5.1 surround mode. It works great. DH is the best headphone technology I've heard. Just a sample of one of those THX surround calibrators available in some DVDs will convince anyone.

But, you're still limited to S/PDIF, so a workaround to that could be a sound card with Dolby Headphone output, like the ASUS xonar series (I'm taking a look at the external U1), or the Sondigo Inferno, or HT Claro.

DTS also recently came up with their Dolby Headphone competition, and I'm very eager to check it out. Usually they one-up Dolby, but at the cost of coming late in the game. DTS Neo:6 was never convincing though, seeing as Dolby Pro Logic II needs to have the content specifically encoded to be effective (and effective it is!). I haven't seen any Neo:6-encoded content.

If there is a Dolby Headphone adaptor with 5.1 analog inputs (which your setup might be if it uses DH), I am very interested, though I guess a good easy solution for a PC could just be the small Asus Xonar U1, which is basically a USB 5.1 sound device with DH processing and output.

Last edited:
Back