• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Warner Swayed by $500 million from the BDA

China has its own HD format that HD DVD can't compete against on price. So, unfortunately, HD DVD is going to become a footnote in history.
Right, but IIRC the Chinese blu laser HD format is based on HD DVD (logical structure is the same). But I don't know much about it.

Problem is - I am infected with the HighDef virus. Once addicted, it is hard to turn back to standard def.

Couldn't agree with you more on that one. Once you go 1080p there's no going back.

At least you have the BOGO deals at amazon.com, so you can get a high-def movie for 12$. Not bad. But the question remains - will we get such great deals without a format war? I doubt it.

I wouldn't be so sure. The reason Warner wants this war over is because DVD sales are down. In order to get more sales, they are going to HAVE to drop prices. The BOGO deals may go away, but, prices will need to drop if they want to get mass market appeal.

Yeah, get a front protection instead! :D

I wish. :) That'd be nice.

Charlie said:
Well actually I am going for a 46" or higher LCD. Plasma right now has a bad rep to only last about 2 years from what I heard.

Actually, your bigger problem with Plasma is heat(bad for electronics) and power consumption. Plus to get a big 1080p Plasma screen is expensive compared to LCD. Personally I love my LCoS(fracking Sony! They killed it except in James' beloved FP which, sure, I'd love but damn!). LCD is not a bad technology. My dad's got a Sony Bravia 46" and it's quite nice. I'm considering one for my bedroom TV later this year.

I thought the replacement bulbs are expensive to replace though and only have like 500,000 hours of life per bulb?
500,000 hours? That would be great! 1000 hours is more like it. 2000 if you're lucky. You're right, lamp cost must be taken into account.
Let's assume a bulb costs 400$ (JVC HD-1) and lasts 2 years, that's 200$ a year.

I wish. :) That'd be nice.

Actually, your bigger problem with Plasma is heat(bad for electronics) and power consumption. Plus to get a big 1080p Plasma screen is expensive compared to LCD. Personally I love my LCoS(fracking Sony! They killed it except in James' beloved FP which, sure, I'd love but damn!). LCD is not a bad technology. My dad's got a Sony Bravia 46" and it's quite nice. I'm considering one for my bedroom TV later this year.

Yea I been seeing some 46" and 47" around 1600.00 USD not bad at all.

500,000 hours? That would be great! 1000 hours is more like it. 2000 if you're lucky. You're right, lamp cost must be taken into account.
Let's assume a bulb costs 400$ (JVC HD-1) and lasts 2 years, that's 200$ a year.

My problem is that I leave the TV on for my dogs they love the cartoon network :p So this won't be a good solution for me sad to say.

That's one of the big problems besides the up front cost of FP. Heat is another issue with FP, as well. That's what kills the bulbs faster. The good ones have excellent cooling, but, higher up front costs...

As you said it: "It is time to just give in". (I need a beer now... sniff) I am sad... :(

I hate to say this, but I started looking into standalone Blu-ray players that can decode Dolby TrueHD internally and have 5.1 channel analogue outputs, and, wow, some of the ones I've come across are quite pricey.

I really enjoy some of the TrueHD soundtracks on my HD-DVDs.

Anyway, I figure I have 6 month to 1 year window to wait and see what happens before I switch fully (even though I know what's going to happen).

I hate to say this, but I started looking into standalone Blu-ray players that can decode Dolby TrueHD internally and have 5.1 channel analogue outputs, and, wow, some of the ones I've come across are quite pricey.

Yea they are. 500 USD +. Might I recommend building an HTPC with a dual format LG dirve?

My problem is that I leave the TV on for my dogs they love the cartoon network :p So this won't be a good solution for me sad to say.
LOL! :D
But your dogs would certainly enjoy a 100" wide display! :D
My cat loves it!

LOL! :D
But your dogs would certainly enjoy a 100" wide display! :D
My cat loves it!

I'm sure they would but I must think mid average on prices and think logically as well and get the best bang for the buck Plus as Sam stated I'll get a BD Player that can do Dolby TrueHD as well as the receiver too.

Yea they are. 500 USD +. Might I recommend building an HTPC with a dual format LG dirve?

We'll see. I probably won't go HTPC until I feel blank media and burners have dropped enough in price. Then I'll jump in more fully (plus I'd have to rewire everything, move everything . . . logistical nightmare for me at the moment)

As you may realize, I mentioned that LG drive to others who asked about what drives to get in this forum.

Last edited:

I really enjoy some of the TrueHD soundtracks on my HD-DVDs.

Anyway, I figure I have 6 month to 1 year window to wait and see what happens before I switch fully (even though I know what's going to happen).
Is TruHD really necessary on BD? The Bluboys always touted "we have the space, we have the bandwidth, we put uncompressed LPCM tracks on the Blu discs", and if my memory serves me right, I never saw a Blu disc with TruHD but without LPCM. I believe the PS3 decodes TruHD, 399$ at amazon.com. Maybe they can add DTS HD-Master decoding with a firmware update, that would be sweet.

IMHO the PS3 is the fastest, most versatile and cheapest Blu-ray player available. It even has a network port for the Profile 2.0 update (hehe).

(Sorry for sounding sarcastic, but ... well ... )

We'll see. I probably won't go HTPC until I feel blank media and burners have dropped enough in price. Then I'll jump in more fully (plus I'd have to rewire everything, move everything . . . logistical nightmare for me at the moment)

As you may realize, I mentioned that LG drive to others who asked about what drives to get in this forum.

Yup. The LG is awesome. I can totally understand the rewiring nightmare though, but, in the end, I'll say this much...it's worth it. Build the core machine now and worry about upgrading to a recorder later. ;)

Is TruHD really necessary on BD? The Bluboys always touted "we have the space, we have the bandwidth, we put uncompressed LPCM tracks on the Blu discs", and if my memory serves me right, I never saw a Blu disc with TruHD but without LPCM. I believe the PS3 decodes TruHD, 399$ at amazon.com. Maybe they can add DTS HD-Master decoding with a firmware update, that would be sweet.

IMHO the PS3 is the fastest, most versatile and cheapest Blu-ray player available. It even has a network port for the Profile 2.0 update (hehe).

Hey you are doing great since it looks like the end of HD so said.

Yea, the PS3 is great except for no analog output and no DTS HD-MA currently. Oh yea, and when you have to send the ****ing thing back to Sony cause it died 6 months after you got it, that's not much fun either. But yes, it makes a decent player for the most part. The problem is with no analog output, you need HDMI and a receiver that supports it. I don't have that. HTPC is the way to go.

I'm sure they would but I must think mid average on prices and think logically as well and get the best bang for the buck Plus as Sam stated I'll get a BD Player that can do Dolby TrueHD as well as the receiver too.
Ouch, than the PS3 is no option, it can't output HD Audio bitstreams. OTOH that saves you some money on the receiver, as it doesn't need to decode HD Audio bitstreams... :D

Ouch, than the PS3 is no option, it can't output HD Audio bitstreams. OTOH that saves you some money on the receiver, as it doesn't need to decode HD Audio bitstreams... :D

Now you're seeing the downside to the PS3, yes. :)

Thanks as I do all my learning here from all of the staff/members to know what's going on and what to expect as well. The other thing that is sad well for me but not slysoft's sales is I purchased the HD option as soon as it was released. Least I was prepared I guess?

But yes, it makes a decent player for the most part. The problem is with no analog output, you need HDMI and a receiver that supports it. I don't have that.
Right, but without HDMI most of the players (HD-DVD, too) ... suck. At least you have "poor man's digital out" (SPDIF) until you get a HDMI receiver.
At least the PS3 outputs 7.1 LPCM over HDMI, Toshiba never managed this with their HD DVD players.

Back