• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Warner goes Blu-ray exclusive

:eek: Holy fracking snikes! This was not the expected move from Warner. I knew they were on the fence but everything I read led me to believe that they'd likely go HD DVD. I guess those Xmas sales they said they were watching went the other way. This is really big news. I'm thinking Paramount might wish they had the option of reconsidering now. The Blu-ray camp will trumpet this victory for months to come. I really don't know what else to say.

As for BD+, it's not fully broken, no. There's a pseudo solution where we use PowerDVD 3319a and play it back from a mounted ISO image and that works. Good enough for me.

ROFLMAO! I guess that is definitely one way to put it, yes. :)

As a computer storage format, BD is, in my opinion, clearly superior (and better developed). But in terms of being the less consumer friendly format, I agree entirely with James (and I've only purchased HD-DVD movies, so far for that reason).

Last edited:
As a computer storage format, BD is, in my opinion, clearly superior (and better developed). But in terms of being the less consumer friendly format, I agree entirely with James (and I've only purchase HD-DVD movies, so far for that reason).

While in theory I agree with you and James about HD DVD being the better format for consumers, for me the writing was on the wall when Disney decided to do the Blu-ray tour. You want to hook average joe consumer, well, Disney is a pretty big draw. Do Blu-ray restrictions suck? Without a doubt. But, at this point it's hard to deny that they're back on top and it's no longer an even game. Toshi and MS better figure out something soon or the game will be over.

Wow, that sucks
Wow, the Mod is speachless! ;) I should have known it since I bought a Toshiba HD deck last month. Figures. I'm a little shocked at the Christmas numbers since so many cheap Toshibas have been sold in recent months. Yet BD still sold 2x+ more discs.

Glad I bought a LG GGC-HL20 for my HTPC! :D

On a related note, I wonder if Warner's going to keep the combo disk format, but switch to Blu-ray / DVD instead? I would think that if it was feasible, they would have done it already.

Last edited:
Wow, the Mod is speachless! ;) I should have known it since I bought a Toshiba HD deck last month. Figures. I'm a little shocked at the Christmas numbers since so many cheap Toshibas have been sold in recent months. Yet BD still sold 2x+ more discs.

As it has been doing consistently all year. I guess I shouldn't be as surprised as I am by this move. Clearly the shift is going towards Blu-ray. The local stores devote twice the space on the shelves for Blu-ray as they do for HD DVD. While it definitely sucks, I think a lot of consumers will be glad that one format is finally starting to win.

While in theory I agree with you and James about HD DVD being the better format for consumers, for me the writing was on the wall when Disney decided to do the Blu-ray tour.

I've only been concerned about Disney due to the fact they own the rights to Studio Ghibli movies (some of my favorite animated movies from Japan). And if those films are ever released in high definition elsewhere, they will probably be released as Blu-rays.

Toshi and MS better figure out something soon or the game will be over.

Toshiba can't even get the kinks out of their burners. They need Pioneer or (maybe) Panasonic to help them. Oh wait . . . I already know what camp they're in.

Oh well, I'll just console myself and go watch my latest HD-DVD purchase: Pan's Labyrinth (the Blu-ray release is inferior with no web-enabled content).

Last edited:
I gotta say that I'm not sad to see this happen. Really didn't care who won in the end, I just wanted the "war" to be over.

I have the utmost confidence that Slysoft will crack BD+, and soon.

Oh well, I'll just console myself and go watch my latest HD-DVD purchase: Pan's Labyrinth (the Blu-ray release is inferior with no web-enabled content).

See, that's the thing. On all the discs I have, I've never once even looked at it. I wonder how many average folks really give a shite about all the web enabled stuff?

I've only been concerned about Disney due to the fact they own the rights to Studio Ghibli movies (some of my favorite animated movies from Japan). And if those films are ever released in high definition elsewhere, they will probably be released as Blu-rays.

So far the anime stuff out of Japan appears to be favoring Blu-ray for the most part. But I haven't seen a WHOLE lot get released yet, either.

Toshiba can't even get the kinks out of their burners. They need Pioneer or Panasonic to help them. Oh wait . . . I already know what camp they're in.

I still need to pick that up. Definitely HD DVD for me, as well. That's what I got Harry Potter years 1-5 on, too, for Xmas. THAT looks GREAT on HD DVD!

See, that's the thing. On all the discs I have, I've never once even looked at it. I wonder how many average folks really give a shite about all the web enabled stuff?

It's irrelevant at this point as Profile 2.0 will add all that in. Which I know the detractors will say "but, but, who has a profile 2.0 player???" Well, all the PS3 owners do and all of us HTPC owners will, as well. So, that's a pretty large portion of the users. Considering average joe held off buying until one format dominated or combo players dropped in price, I'd say that this issue will be a non-issue by next year for those that DO care about the web features. I do think you're right though, most people won't care.

Toshiba can't even get the kinks out of their burners. They need Pioneer or Panasonic to help them. Oh wait . . . I already know what camp they're in.

What kinks are you referring to? I have an HD DVD writer and it works perfectly

What kinks are you referring to? I have an HD DVD writer and it works perfectly

Even you have to admit...there's not exactly a plethora of writers out there to choose from. :)

As for BD+, it's not fully broken, no. There's a pseudo solution where we use PowerDVD 3319a and play it back from a mounted ISO image and that works. Good enough for me.

Thanks for the update. I really tried to stay with 3319a for the HDD playback but too many titles would not play. I now do the ISO thing. Is there something specific about 3319a where BD+ works w/ ANYDVD-HD but will not work with ISOs w/ later versions of PowerDVD?

How do you know which titles have BD+?

thats because they only started coming out the end of December. I can buy DL HD DVDr's for less than a single layer BD-r

Back