• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VSync problems with ION and Panasonic Plasma TV with 24hz

DCBA

I bought a HTPC:

And i've connected the system to a Panasonic plasma tv (TX-P42U10E) that is capable of FullHD and 24p(24hz).

When i got home with the ION system i installed XBMC Live but i've notice that the motion was not completly smooth even after i enabled the 24hz mode in XBMC live, i've tried all options and nothing helped to get a smooth playback.

Then i installed Windows to have more configuration options and it was the same, so i tried to use MPCHC and tried all the options but didn't get as smooth as i wanted.

So i discovered this software after searching, it was the first time for me that i got to know this software. I installed it and i noticed a change for the better but the motion isn't completly smooth yet.
I've tried in a computer screen displaying 60hz and i've choosen the refresh rate/2 option and it got more smooth but not completly, then i tried the plasma tv set to 24hz and reclock set to auto, so reclock set the framerate to 24fps. This got me better than i was but it's not completly smooth yet.
It doesn't matter the resolution or the bitrate of the file beeing played, the motion is not smooth..
Its not the GPU (ION) that is not capable because i've seen its % of load processing and playing 1080p it goes only to 20% and the CPU generally goes to 13 to 20% also. So its not lack of processing power.

I've tried changing Vsync options in MPCHC and in ReClock and it does make a difference but i can't get the right configuration for the motion to be smooth.

Also it doesn't matter it DXVA is beeing used or not, the result is the same... :( Also i've tried using CoreAVC, ffdshow DXVA accelerated and ffdshow and VDPAU.

I think its a VSync problem but i cant get it right, please help me... I Want to watch 1080p mkv files in 23.9fps.

Last edited:
I've messed with the MPC settings and can't return them to normal. how can i reset the settings? theres a way?

I'm running smooth with 1280x720@50Hz. This is 8800GT, Reclock, CoreAVC, MPCHC, HD ready plasma Samsung 42B450. Your U10 should be running 24Hz input at 48 frames, if I'm not mistaken. That should give you a half decent playback (96 would be better).

On my set, all refresh rates except 50 and 60 produced VSync tearing, so I let Reclock up the 23,976 to 25, which marries well with the 50 refresh.
Try setting it to 1920x1080@50, see what hapens.

I use 60Hz, as I believe it matches close enough with 29.970-> 30Hz, and 23.976-> 24 (60Hz/2.5).

I never get tearing, but I do get stuttering (Aero enabled + Haali's Renderer). No stuttering when using Aero + EVR Custom(using all components' default settings).

edit: err, MPC-HC + ffdshow video - audio (no dxva), Haali's splitter, vsfilter, reclock.

Last edited:
Thanks will try thoose, but i just reinstalled a clean windows 7 again so i could reset the mpc settings that i couldn't.

But now i only have installed the nvidia drivers and mpc hc and i'm getting dxva without installing any codecs at all, not even hali.. or coreavc..

But now my reclock doesn't get the refresh rate of my tv, its allways at 0hz.. :(

What codec should i install hali splitter or coreavc? or both?

Another question, if i use the vsync from reclock then i should disable the resync from mpc don't i? or they should be both turn on?

Thanks will try thoose, but i just reinstalled a clean windows 7 again so i could reset the mpc settings that i couldn't.
Delete HKCU\Software\Gabest\Media Player Classic, or delete mpc-hc.ini if you have one

But now i only have installed the nvidia drivers and mpc hc and i'm getting dxva without installing any codecs at all, not even hali.. or coreavc..
That's because you are using MPC-HC's internal filters

But now my reclock doesn't get the refresh rate of my tv, its allways at 0hz.. :(
In Configure ReClock-> Video Settings-> try uncheck use gdi o...

What codec should i install hali splitter or coreavc? or both?
You should install both. They do different things.

Another question, if i use the vsync from reclock then i should disable the resync from mpc don't i? or they should be both turn on?
Leave the default settings alone first. Also, keep aero on.

btw none of this is going to do much good if your display is still detected as 0Hz.

Last edited:
The refresh rate is detected now, i'm trying 50hz with frame rate = refresh rate/2.

Many thanks for your help. I'm in dispair here, its been 3 days with this ION and haven't seen even one movie... :(

BTW, i'm blocking coreavc shouldn't i?

The refresh rate is detected now, i'm trying 50hz with frame rate = refresh rate/2.
Keep that on auto, and In ReClock-> Video Settings-> slowdown 1%, speedup 5%

Since your CPU is the Atom crap, I guess you want to might want to avoid software decoding.. but don't block it.

In MPC-HC: view-> options-> internal-> transform-> uncheck H264/AVC(FFmpeg), and Matroska, and do not block CoreAVC..

Last edited:
Keep that on auto, and In ReClock-> Video Settings-> slowdown 1%, speedup 5%

Since your CPU is the Atom crap, I guess you want to might want to avoid software decoding.. but don't block it.

In MPC-HC: view-> options-> internal-> transform-> uncheck H264/AVC(FFmpeg), and Matroska, and do not block CoreAVC..

It improoved a lot, but still not as smooth as it should. And sometimes i see some stuttering... :(

Also, now i don't see the resync lines even if i choose it. I have MPC with Sync only, and ReClock with Resync to but i think reclock is not doing anything.

Still haven't found a good configuration, i wish this would be more user friendly, you know the all Media Center / HDTV thing..

Last edited:
I'm afraid the European U10 cannot display 24p at 48 or 96 Hz, only at 60 with 3:2 repeat. I might be wrong but I know only the V10 could do it from the start, and it seems the G10 and G15 can do it too with a firmware update after customers complained to Pana about 3:2 judder (the same thing happened with PZ8x before), but I never read about that update for the U10.

Panasonic is playing a dirty game with smooth 24p in their plasmas to say the least.

Maybe you should check with a standalone player and a judder test to make sure it doesn't come from your display? Or a software judder test from the Windows desktop?

I'm afraid the European U10 cannot display 24p at 48 or 96 Hz, only at 60 with 3:2 repeat. I might be wrong but I know only the V10 could do it from the start, and it seems the G10 and G15 can do it too with a firmware update after customers complained to Pana about 3:2 judder (the same thing happened with PZ8x before), but I never read about that update for the U10.

Panasonic is playing a dirty game with smooth 24p in their plasmas to say the least.

Maybe you should check with a standalone player and a judder test to make sure it doesn't come from your display? Or a software judder test from the Windows desktop?

Even if that was true then playing at 50hz with recalc frame rate set to 25fps it should be smooth shouldn't it?
And its not.
Even on my CRT monitor that plays at 60/75/80hz its not smooth. And 75hz should be be smooth when framerate was set to 25fps also, shouln't it?

I just don't understand this anymore.

I don't have a stand alone player that plays on 24hz but i do have an old dvd player that plays files as smooth as they are in the television at leat it played last time i checked but i got the television only for a week and haven't payed much attention to it but i will try to pay attention tomorrow.
Also the dvd only sends 50hz pal to the television but in SD, is it different from HD, the lack of smoothness can be caused by beeing HD?

This tv (the px-42u10e) plays at 100hz (2x50hz) and then quadruples it 4x100hz to 400hz with ifc.
Besides 50hz this tv also plays at 24hz and 60hz but i can't set it to 48hz or 96hz.
But 24hz shouldn't be smooth if the source is 24hz too? at least the last hype for seeing movies is the 24hz feature.

Last edited:
Now that i see it well better the panasonic tv looks to be causing some juddering on pan scenes.
If thats the tv theres no way to fix it? :(

I have the same plasma tv, the TXP42U10E just bought last week and i'm having judder issues too, but mine are not related to the source, i've tried allready differente sources at different refresh rates and on all of them i experience judder.
And those sources connected to 2 differente CRT monitors and 1 LCD tv plays without any judder, so i'm almost sure its the u10e fault. :(
I too hope theres a fix for this.

Back