• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VPN Split Tunneling

Ineedhelp2000

I imagine most of you that use AS also use a VPN, just not while using AS. However, are any of you successfully using the split tunneling feature in your VPN with AS? Either by placing AS in the exception list, or switching your VPN split tunnel to only use on specific apps and leaving AS out? No matter which option I choose to ensure AS is not included, it still uses the tunnel. I've even added the other EXEs in the root folder of AS that I see running as processes while AS is open, but with no success. Works with my 4 browsers (confirmed by checking public IP), but never with AS.

Any ideas to get this working or is it just a byproduct to use my computer "in the raw" while downloading?

Thanks

The providers block most VPN IP addresses.
Just to clarify....
VPN split tunnel works with all of my apps I need it to work with: 4 web browsers, a couple of music apps, gaming, etc. Meaning, i can leave my VPN for my computer but these apps do not use it. Therefore, split tunneling.
AS on the other hand, does not seem to recognize that it has been placed in a split tunnel and uses the VPN anyway, therefore forcing me to turn off my VPN.

Is AS "secretly" using the defualt browser maybe and I need to exclude that along with the AS EXEs?

Just to clarify....
VPN split tunnel works with all of my apps I need it to work with: 4 web browsers, a couple of music apps, gaming, etc. Meaning, i can leave my VPN for my computer but these apps do not use it. Therefore, split tunneling.
AS on the other hand, does not seem to recognize that it has been placed in a split tunnel and uses the VPN anyway, therefore forcing me to turn off my VPN.

Is AS "secretly" using the defualt browser maybe and I need to exclude that along with the AS EXEs?

No it is not. I can tell you overall AS + VPN is a tricky thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Your split tunnel is going to cause you heartache probably because of DNS. Often times via DNS you are directed to a geographically appropriate CDN. So when you use your tunnel your DNS is saying hey go to this CDN from your country (your original IP) and then AS rides the VPN tunnel coming in from your VPN IP and then they don't match. And things get confused or blocked. So in other words, if you are in the USA for example your DNS says, hey give me a CDN in the USA. Which you then try to access from your VPN IP which I assume is another country. So it all gets messed up.

And that is not even taking into account that the providers often times just block VPN IPs altogether.

No it is not. I can tell you overall AS + VPN is a tricky thing. Sometimes it works and sometimes it does not. Your split tunnel is going to cause you heartache probably because of DNS. Often times via DNS you are directed to a geographically appropriate CDN. So when you use your tunnel your DNS is saying hey go to this CDN from your country (your original IP) and then AS rides the VPN tunnel coming in from your VPN IP and then they don't match. And things get confused or blocked. So in other words, if you are in the USA for example your DNS says, hey give me a CDN in the USA. Which you then try to access from your VPN IP which I assume is another country. So it all gets messed up.

And that is not even taking into account that the providers often times just block VPN IPs altogether.

Kudos to you DQ. Shame on me for forgetting DNS!!!! That will most definitely muck up the machine. Routing run amuck. Awesome catch. I would go through the effort of some traceroutes but it simply isn't worth it at this juncture. I'll leave my AS use to overnight. Thankfully the queuing works great sans Hulu eating itself most days. :)

Thanks all.

Reactions: DQ
Personally I make use of the proxy feature built into AS. This allows you to use a separate proxy server for each provider. I just use putty to open a local port to a remote machine and point AS at the local port. This allows me to use AS on one machine while accessing providers from multiple countries

Not recommending it or anything but I do use AS on AP successfully while connected to a VPN. Although it is being not used as a mean to unblock content.

I have problems with this as well. I tried several times to tell the VPN that I only want AS in the VPN connection. My browser etc does not have to be in there. But it never worked so I just left.

Reactions: DQ
I have problems with this as well. I tried several times to tell the VPN that I only want AS in the VPN connection. My browser etc does not have to be in there. But it never worked so I just left.

I had tried it successfully with ProtonVPN (both DNS and AS were going through the tunnel) but I also gave up on it because I found the providers just block the heck out of VPN IPs so it was of little use.

I had tried it successfully with ProtonVPN (both DNS and AS were going through the tunnel) but I also gave up on it because I found the providers just block the heck out of VPN IPs so it was of little use.
My VPN is working for Amz jp, only the splitter does not work. So everything has to go through the VPN when I use it.

My VPN is working for Amz jp, only the splitter does not work. So everything has to go through the VPN when I use it.

Yea that's probably that DNS thing. Throws off the whole thing because of geographically specific DNS entries as it relates to CDN servers.

Not recommending it or anything but I do use AS on AP successfully while connected to a VPN. Although it is being not used as a mean to unblock content.
Ap has always worked fine with my VPN in standard browser on the very rare instances I'm watching from my PC and forget to disable the VPN. I basically don't care about VPN while watching content since I largely watch from Plex or via apps on streaming devices. But using PC, VPN is mandatory and AS is the only app i tried to make an exception so it would NOT use the VPN...i.e. the reason for the thread. Everyone's comments have been appreciated. :)
so now I just download overnight with AS after closing all other apps and processes where possible.

Ap has always worked fine with my VPN in standard browser on the very rare instances I'm watching from my PC and forget to disable the VPN. I basically don't care about VPN while watching content since I largely watch from Plex or via apps on streaming devices. But using PC, VPN is mandatory and AS is the only app i tried to make an exception so it would NOT use the VPN...i.e. the reason for the thread. Everyone's comments have been appreciated. :)
so now I just download overnight with AS after closing all other apps and processes where possible.

I think your issue could be the thing I mentioned but in reverse. AS is not in the VPN but your DNS traffic is. It results in the same thing where your source IP is geographically mismatched vs. the DNS responses you get for CDN servers.

They both need to be in the tunnel or both out in my opinion. But I have always had issues with AS and VPN so I feel your pain. I just did not use it with VPN anymore, but in all fairness I did not try very hard with it either. I think with AP it seemed to work sometimes but others like HM just blocked everything from VPN.

I think your issue could be the thing I mentioned but in reverse. AS is not in the VPN but your DNS traffic is. It results in the same thing where your source IP is geographically mismatched vs. the DNS responses you get for CDN servers.

They both need to be in the tunnel or both out in my opinion. But I have always had issues with AS and VPN so I feel your pain. I just did not use it with VPN anymore, but in all fairness I did not try very hard with it either. I think with AP it seemed to work sometimes but others like HM just blocked everything from VPN.

You're so right DQ. I noticed when I forget to switch off the VPN and load up AS, HM almost barfs it signs me out so quickly! It's usually my first sign that I forgot to switch off the VPN.

Back