VOB Duration Property

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Voldemort, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Voldemort

Voldemort Member

Greetings,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I've noticed that VOB's often have a duration property that is incorrect. Most incorrect ones that I have seen specify a 26 hour duration. This affects Windows Movie Maker and I was wondering if there is a way to correct this issue.

This isnt an issue with AnyDVD or anything like that. It appears to be an issue on the VOB's straight off of 70% of the discs I've read.

Is there a way to set this property manually on the VOB?

Any advice is appreciated.

2. Webslinger

Webslinger Retired Moderator

Are you ripping first using Anydvd ripper?

Right-click on the fox icon on your toolbar, and select "Rip video-dvd to Hard Disk". Choose your source and destination paths. Click "Copy", and wait for Anydvd ripper to finish. Then use that rip as the source.

3. Voldemort

Voldemort Member

I was using CloneDVD2 to RIP with AnyDVD running in the background. Based on what I read in the FAQ this is the best way to rip. I am using clonedvd to remove the non-english audio streams and subtitles.

I did try ripping directly with AnyDVD and the duration on the VOBs was still 25+ hours.

Right now I'm having to use Expression Encoder to encode the VOB as wmv to get the duration down for use in Windows Movie Maker, but this is a huge time sync.

4. Webslinger

Yes, that's better than using Anydvd ripper (Clonedvd is faster, and you can remove what you don't want with Clonedvd).

Unfortunately, I'm out of suggestions.

5. Voldemort

Voldemort Member

No problem. Thanks for responding. It really wouldnt be an issue if Windows Movie Maker didnt have a 24 hour time limit on the scenes. Maybe I'll look around for a registry hack that will remove this restriction or something.

Thanks again.

6. Voldemort

Voldemort Member

If anyone is interested I've confirmed that this is an issue with Windows Movie Maker 6 in Vista. It doesnt read mpg properties correctly. Other video editing software doesnt seem to have the same issue.

This is unfortunate as WMM in Vista is actually pretty decent. It is unfortunate they didnt spend enough time on fully supporting mpg-2

7. Webslinger

Thank you for reporting back!