Vista Ultimate x86 BSOD

Discussion in 'Virtual CloneDrive' started by SamuriHL, May 5, 2007.

1. SamuriHL

SamuriHL Well-Known Member

I don't ask for help very often, but, I screwed up my perfectly working machine and short of reinstalling the OS, I'm not sure how to fix this one. I uninstalled Virtual Clone Drive so I could test some stuff. Now when I try to reinstall it, if I reboot my machine Vista BSODs and I have to use System Restore to get it back. That obviously removes VCD. I can't even boot into safe mode, so, I'm not able to get the exact error message, but, I do know it is a crash in the vclone.sys driver. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I can do to fix this mess? I really am not in the mood for a system reinstall if I can avoid it, but, I badly need to get VCD back up and running on this machine as I use it all the itme. Thanks!

2. SamuriHL

Neat, I get to solve my own problem. :D Ok, here's what I did to fix this:

-Close ALL Slysoft products
    -Open up Device Manager...Virtual CloneDrive will likely be listed there with an ! on it..for some reason the uninstall left some remnants hanging around. Right click on it and say uninstall.
    -Right click the Virtual CloneDrive installer and select "Run as Administrator".
    -Complete the install and reboot

Those are the steps I followed to fix this nightmare of a situation. My guess is that this happened because the uninstall didn't fully remove it and Vista got confused when I went to reinstall with the old stuff still hanging around. Anyway, I hope this resolution helps anyone having a similar problem. I'm now back to VCD heaven. :)

3. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

This is a known problem of Virtual CloneDrive's installation routine on Vista. It happens, if you install VCD on a machine where it already is installed. In this case VCD will be installed twice and boom.
    A Vista compatible version of VCD will be ready soon. In the meantime, make sure to uninstall VCD before installing or updating another version.

4. SamuriHL

That's just it...I DID uninstall it but it left some stuff around apparently. So when I did the new install it caused all kinds of nasty problems. Not a big deal as I got it working. A new version will be welcome though. Thanks!