• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Vista Crashes even on clean install

g1eagle

Recently, my DVD burner failed. So, in order to get a new one, I had to screw around with Dell tech support. They went through a whole process that included deleting the driver for the burner before they would give me a new drive.

So, the new drive got here on Friday. It was installed and then I installed AnyDVD and then CloneDVD. Windows absolutely collapsed--wouldnt shut down and then wouldn't boot. So, I had to re-image the drive. A day later, I have tried everything I can think of and everything I could find in the forums. Without fail, AnyDVD corrupts Windows when I install it. AnyDVD will load and sometimes I can even open it up, but any attempt to interact with AnyDVD or watch a DVD in some other program leads to a crash, hard reboot, and then i have to do a system restore because Explorer seems to become corrupted. I have run full diagnostics on the hardware and found no problems.

At this point, I am at my wit's end. I will list all that I have done below. Maybe someone here can help.

My system is a Dell XPS 410 running Vista. I have used it since February and never had any trouble with CloneDVD or AnyDVD until now.

I have re-imaged the computer to the way it was when it shipped

I downloaded the newest versions of AnyDVD (6.1.6.0) and CloneDVD (2.9.0.9) and installed them carefully

During one of my tries, I deleted Roxio Drag to Disc (Roxio Creator DE 9.0.116), disabled my firewall and anti-virus, and ran everything as administrator. No luck there either.

I removed Roxio Drag to Disc BUT it had been there prior to this problem and had not caused problems and still didnt help anyway. I dont have any of the other software listed in post 1307.

My Vista install is fully up to date. The DVD burner is an NEC DVD+_RW ND-3650A. It uses the standard Microsoft driver (6.0.6000.16386). According to Dell's website, there is a newer version of the firmware. When I try to install it, it crashes my system and I have to do a restore. I called Dell and the guy said that that firmware may not be compatible with Vista. I asked why they had it as a recommended download for my PC and he did not have an answer. So, I am still using the older version of the firmware. But, this is the same type of drive that was in there before the problem occurred.

So, all I know now is that I am afraid to try and install AnyDVD again until I have some good advice from someone. Sometimes a restore has not been enough, and I have had to reimage. So, as you may be able to guess, I would prefer to avoid doing that too many more times.

The only thing I can think of now is to completely reinstall Windows. But, that would be monstrous. Does anyone have any advice?

1. Provided your drive is using an ide interface, ensure you're using an 80 wire cable. If it's SATA, just try another cable.

2. Try ensuring the drive is set to master and the cable is installed appropriately. Check your jumper setting on the back of the drive.

3. Disable User Account Control. If User Account Control is active, you’ll need to allow the Slysoft programs to run at the elevated level. Do whatever you have to do to tell User Account Control to play nice with Slysoft. Disable User Account Control if you must. I think I would at this point

4. Do step 4 from here. Note that step 4 requires you to post information.

filters but no jumper

Thanks for replying so quickly. Ok, I am not super savvy, so forgive my ignorance here.

I completely removed and looked at the DVD burner. If there are jumper switches on it, they are hidden. I even took off the face plate. I replaced a sony drive once, and the switches were right on the back. Darned if I can find them on this one.

The way the setup is wired is as follows:
SATA 1 cable runs from motherboard to DVD-ROM
SATA 2 cable runs from motherboard to DVD-RW
The bigger cable goes to the DVD-ROM first and then to the DVD-RW second.

As for filters, I see one that you have said is bad, though I don't know what to do about it exactly.

Filter Check Tool v3.4

No Upper Filters found.

A Lower Filter found is: PxHelp20
Filterdriver properties are:
Name: PxHelp20
Caption: PxHelp20
Description: PxHelp20
AcceptPause: False
AcceptStop: True
DesktopInteract: False
DisplayName: PxHelp20
ErrorControl: Normal
ExitCode: 0
PathName: C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\PxHelp20.sys
Version Info: 3.0.40.0
ServiceSpecificExitCode: 0
ServiceType: Kernel Driver
Started: True
StartMode: Boot
StartName:
State: Running
TagId: 0

A Lower Filter found is: DRVMCDB
Name: DRVMCDB
Caption: DRVMCDB
Description: DRVMCDB
DisplayName: DRVMCDB
ErrorControl: Ignore
PathName: C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\DRVMCDB.SYS
Version Info: 8.10.42.0
StartMode: Boot
StartName:
TagId: 1

A Lower Filter found is: DLACDBHM
Name: DLACDBHM
Caption: DLACDBHM
Description: DLACDBHM
DisplayName: DLACDBHM
ErrorControl: Ignore
PathName: C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\DLACDBHM.SYS
Version Info: 0.0.0.0
ServiceType: File System Driver
StartMode: System
StartName:
TagId: 1

If there are jumper switches on it, they are hidden.

They aren't switches. They're pins, with a piece that goes over the pins to distinguish between master, slave, and cable select.

The bigger cable goes to the DVD-ROM first and then to the DVD-RW second.

Well, since you're not familiar with this stuff, we'll just leave it along for now.

A Lower Filter found is: DRVMCDB

Used by Sonic and Veritas. Yet unknown in which software it is used (possibly backup software). Might be from Nullo.

Part of Sonic Burning engine, it's made by prassi/veritas and licensed to Sonic. Comes with Winamp, 1click DivxToDVD and (older versoins of) Digion Audio

A Lower Filter found is: DLACDBHM

I'm pretty sure that's from Sonic or Roxio's Drive Letter Access, which is bad, bad, bad.

Uninstall Drive Letter Access and ensure DLACDBHM no longer appears in your lower filters.

Last edited:
new error

Ok, I uninstalled Roxio Drag-to-Disc. Now the only filter I have is below. However, I tried to do a little test. I opened AnyDVD and expanded and collapsed some menus. This previously caused it to crash. It didn't crash this time. So, I was optimistic. I asked it to rip a DVD to a folder on my desktop as a test. I got this error: File IO VTS_01_0.VOB 0 65536. I am running the program as administrator. I have not installed CloneDVD yet.

A Lower Filter found is: AnyDVD
Name: AnyDVD
Caption: AnyDVD
Description: AnyDVD
DisplayName: AnyDVD
ErrorControl: Normal
PathName: C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
Version Info: 6.1.6.0
StartMode: Manual
StartName:
TagId: 0

I am running the program as administrator.

Yeah, actually, I wouldn't run it as admin. I think I would just disable User Account Control for now.

Do this step by step (especially step d). Keep User Account Control disabled

a) Keep your license key file backed up safely
b) Uninstall Anydvd (start-->all programs-->Slysoft--->Anydvd-->Uninstall)
c) Reboot
d) Try running a registry cleaner program at this point like CCleaner
e) Download Anydvd 6.1.6.1 http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupAnyDVD6161.exe
f) Exit all Slysoft programs (including Anydvd, Clonedvd2, Clonecd, Clonecdtray, Clonedvdmobile, etc.). Check Windows Task Manager if you have to.
g) At this point disable your antivirus and firewall programs
h) Reinstall
i) Reboot
j) Install your license key (if required) http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=732
k) At this point enable your antivirus and firewall programs

2. With an original dvd-video disc in your system, do the following:

Click the red fox icon in your system tray. Select "status" on the left hand side of your screen. With the problematic disc inserted in your computer, click the appropriate drive tab letter (the drive containing the disc) in Anydvd. In the window below the drive letter, copy and paste the information Anydvd gives you into your next post.

3. Let's check to see if the original disc is bad. Try cleaning your disc. Download Nero cd-dvd speed. It's a free program. Select the tab labeled "scandisc". Select the appropriate drive letter, and click "start". If Nero cd-dvd speed reports read errors, your disc is bad and needs to be exchanged--even if it plays fine (or your optical drive could be slowly dying).

Last edited:
I'm on my way out the door. Hopefully zebadee will pop in here. I'd do everything he says. He uses Vista.

DVD status and PC Wizard screencap

Here is the picture requested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi :)
This clearly shows you have IDE CDRWDVD & DVDRW.
So the most likely cause is jumpers.
As shown the the Sony is likely to be set as Master, with the likelyhood of the NEC being Master too.
Take a look here for info on jumper settings etc.
Installation & setup:

Thanks for helping. I really appreciate it. Here is my current status. AnyDVD is installed. I have still not installed CloneDVD yet and will not do so until advised. I cannot play a DVD in Windows Media Center. The first time I tried, it said something else was using the DVD drive. The second time, it crashed.

Here is a picture of my DVD-burner (bottom) and DVD-rom (top). This is why I am confused. It doesn't look like the pictures and diagrams I looked for on the web to show me how to fix things. There are no jumpers. The white drive on the top is the Sony DVD-ROM. The connections in the back of it are "SATA Power" on the left and "SATA Data" on the right. The NEC DVD burner is on the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
My apologies, I assumed that PCW would report the drives similarly to that of my setup. Presumably the mobo is translating things differently.
You do in fact have SATA drives.
Have you downloaded the addons for WMP to enable DVD movie playback?
Maybe try a third party player. See what happens then.

Last edited:
No, I don't play usually play DVDs in WMP. I was using Windows Media Center. But, in any case, here is the latest.

Played a DVD in Windows Media Center. It played ok. Then I tried to open Windows Media Player. It crashed. Then, as usual, everything stopped working. Task Manager would not come up, Start Menu would not open--nothing would load, even though the PC wasn't frozen. So, had to do a hard reboot.

When it came up again, I tried to open Windows Media Player again. Same result. So, I hard rebooted again, went into the utility, and did a restore to a point before I installed AnyDVD.

Now, things are working again. I can play a DVD from Media Center using the burner drive. I can open Windows Media Player. However, when I went to reinstall Company of Heroes, the installer would lock up if I tried to do it from the burner drive. Then, I would get the same problem as before with everything refusing to start and not being able to invoke the Task Manager. So, I reboot and try the install from the DVD-ROM, CD-RW drive. It works fine.

I have no idea what to do now except call Dell and I know that will be useless.

Were it not for Vista, with all these hard lockups, crashes, etc., I would start looking for a hardware failure (bad stick of memory, memory going bad on the graphics card) . . .

Although this has happened on a clean install.
Why not try AdvancedWindowsCarePersonal:
It is free & if your setup during install is creating conflictions (that come to light later) this s/w may well help.
After all you've nothing to lose.
This s/w removes/repairs etc.

N.B. You could try Webslingers idea of reseating components. This might have some effect also.

Last edited:
Just jumping in here...did you disable UAC as Webslinger advised? I have a lot of experience with Vista(see my sig) and my experience tells me that UAC is the root of a LOT of Vista related problems. If you shut it off, PLEASE uninstall and reinstall AnyDVD from scratch and see if this helps. Of course, there's always the possibility that a driver didn't install correctly, too, as we have seen recently. That may be something else you want to consider AFTER turning UAC off...reinstalling any custom drivers. A pain in the @$$, I'll agree, but, it beats the alternative. :)

SamuriHL, I have never had to disable UAC. Niether should you need to.
I know alot of folk do.
But for me this means you are simply ignoring/avioding the root cause. ;)

SamuriHL, I have never had to disable UAC. Niether should you need to.
I know alot of folk do.
But for me this means you are simply ignoring/avioding the root cause.

I'm going to try really hard not to turn this into a very ugly debate. :D I have *VERY* strong feelings about UAC and what a joke it really is. (If you really think it makes your machine more secure then you should probably review your security practices. ;) ) The "root cause" is that the damn thing is broken and almost no programs properly support it. That's not necessarily MS' fault, but, is simply reality. I find it absolutely *RIDICULOUS* that there are drivers that fail to install correctly when UAC is running. That has been the case recently. Even programs that supposedly work with it don't always do so. I realize it's a new security model but it's flawed by design. What I mean is, how many users are going to actually read what it says, intelligently decide whether a program should be allowed to run, and then allow or deny it based upon intelligent thought? Right, they're going to click "allow" 99.9% of the time. Look at the "test" someone did recently where they created a banner ad that said "This will install spyware." TONS of people clicked on it!!! People don't read. Trust the user to know what they're doing is a flawed security model, and UAC does absolutely NOTHING for me as I already know what's running on my machine and whether or not I want it there. (Hint...if it's running on my machine, I want it there.) Anyway, this is a huge off topic rant, but, UAC disgusts me horribly not because MS did anything wrong necessarily, but, the design is flawed and too many things don't work with it active. Please realize this is only my opinion and don't take my opinion personally. :)

I don't take it personal.
But neither do I or have I had any problems.
The only problem I have had was with an A/V s/w that had a conflict as it was not Vista ready.
I accept what you say.
BenQ & Philips had a difference of opinion with regards as to whether SolidBurn should enabled or disabled by default.
Philipe have it enabled on the the grounds that most users will want the 'advantages' anyway. Otherwise why buy a drive with this feature.
BenQ felt it should be down to the user to enable.
As you point out many either miss or select the incorrect option with something like UAC.
UAC itself is not really flawed except for the fact it allows Widows Defender to set the default with new s/w. More often than not saying it is awaiting approval. When the s/w already has it.
My post was not to start a debate, but simply point out that it isn't (nor should it be) necessary to disable.
Although the going through the process of allowing etc is a pain in itself.
If the problem arises out of the startup (like in the case for AnyDVD for some).
A startup manager is often the way to go. AdvancedWindowsCare has such a feature. :D

AV and security products are having a real hard time with Vista due to the changes made to the kernel. I find that to be a REALLY REALLY good thing and one of the things I love about Vista. It forces developers to stop being lazy and learn to program correctly. (I'm a software engineer so I can get away with a comment like that. ;) ) I'm still not convinced that UAC bring a lot of value to the table. Do I agree with that you that it SHOULDN'T have to be turned off? Yes, it shouldn't. However, in many cases in order to get anything to work correctly, I've found that it needs to. Like I said, even basic drivers don't necessarily install correctly with UAC turned on...and they work perfectly well after it's turned off and the driver is reinstalled. I suspect SP1 will either fix a lot of this or make it worse...after all, we're going to see the Longhorn kernel get integrated in SP1. Won't THAT be fun. :D

As for startup manager, AdvancedWindowsCare does have that, but, doesn't Windows Defender also have a startup manager? I use msconfig personally, so, I don't really pay attention. Yup, just checked, if you go into Defender, tools, software explorer you can see a list of startup items. Kinda kuel I guess. AWC seems like a decent piece of software. However, it did lose points from me when I installed it at work and it decided that UAC needed to be reenabled without asking me. Naughty! :D But other than that it seems like a decent program and as you point out, free, as well. Always a good thing.

Back