Virtual Clonedrive bricks PC with Gigabyte Motherboard after restart when forgetting to unmount

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lee M., Nov 4, 2019.

1. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

Hey. Virtual CloneDrive bricked my Brother's PC with a gigabyte motherboard. I restarted it but I forgot to unmount the Virtual CD. Can you please help me?

2. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

Define bricked, bricked usually means hardware malfunction. So tough wouldn't have been able to power it up again at all. (VCD simple can't brick hardware, it's pure software)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

I mean VCD bricked the OS.

4. Ch3vr0n

What os would that be? Define bricked. Error message? There's got to be a different factor at play. Because it would be the first time in the history of vcd where it would have corrupted an operating system. Vcd is fully compliant all the way down to Win 7.

That said, your can just right click the virtual drive with the mounted iso and click 'unmount/eject' whatever the exact wording is.

5. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

The OS is Windows 10 Pro. And I mean the os became unbootable after a restart due to the virtual cd not unmounted

6. Marty S. McFly

Marty S. McFly Well-Known Member

There is now way Virtual CloneDrive would do that, I have many times rebooted my pc without unmounting the virtual disc and never had any problems. Might just have been a coincidence that that happened.

7. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

It bricked my brother's PC to me. The PC had a gigabyte motherboard

8. Ch3vr0n

That's not possible, at least not due to vcd. I've done just that dozens of time on that exact OS with very complicated hardware setup (check sig).

There's a bigger underlying cause, but it ain't vcd.

Usually when an OS can't boot, there's an error message of some sort. What is it. The brand is motherboard is irrelevant. This isn't a hardware problem lousy likely, 99% sure it's purely a software problem.

Marty S. McFly likes this.
  9. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

The PC had a Gigabyte Insist on ultra durable motherboard. 8 Gigabytes of RAM. 1TB SSD split into 3 volumes. And it's CD-Romless.

10. Ch3vr0n

None of that is relevant. BOOT error message please

11. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

It just shows up a Black Screen after the blinking - finishes.

12. Ch3vr0n

Can you get into safe mode?

13. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

14. Ch3vr0n

Did he/or you do any 'tweaking' to the os work so called 'anti Microsoft spying' utilities? By the sounds of it something seriously screwed with the windows internals and that's just not something vcd does or can do.

15. Lee M.

Lee M. Member

The PC had "360 Total Security" but it doesn't stop VCD from bricking the PC

16. Ch3vr0n

Vcd didn't brick the PC, it can't. From what I can find that's barely all anti virus. It gets beaten even by avg free. What does concern me about it is

1. It's Chinese 'crap'
    2. it had the capability to 'optimize' the os and 'fine tune' things. Such as 'driver updater'and other crap

I'd be willing to bet THAT (nr 2) is where you're problem is.

You will most likely need to get the PC to a professional, because it's pretty impossible to 'fix' without hands-on

What I can tell you (even without knowing what image you mounted), is you installed VCD on Windows 10 pro, fresh install, mount any random image, and reboot WITH it still mounted, the system will reboot just fine.

17. hart2hart

hart2hart Well-Known Member

I’d guess the boot OS Drive may have gotten switched. During the boot press the key to enter to BIOS and confirm the drive and device boot order. I’ve seen similar to this and it was trying to boot to a nonOS Drive.

18. Ch3vr0n

Good idea, but that shouldn't happen at all unless it was manually changed in the first place. It's definitely not something vcd could do, but it's a route he could investigate.

19. Marty S. McFly

Marty S. McFly Well-Known Member

Maybe the "SSD Failed" just a thought.