• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive assign Driveletter

Davinci28

Hi,

Is it posible to set the Virtual Drive to another Driveletter using a commandline?

I need the Virtual Drive to be the V: drive.

Thanks,

Vincent

You can remap the drive letter in Disk Management just as you would for a physical drive.

That worked fine in XP, but no longer in Win7
Anybody has a good script that can do it in 7 ?

Thanks

Seb

I had the same problem. I posted a suggestion to assign a "permanent" or "long-term" use.

You can solve by going to Control Panel-Administrative Tools-Disk Management.

This will show you all the drives and the letters assigned. You will notice that Clone Drive has a letter. The properties show the drive letter. Use the dropdown list to select a letter you wish, maybe one farther down.

Then you can use the upper letters for your previous assigned links etc.

It would be good if we can just assign one at installation time. Then we never have to go through this small irritant.
tj

Come on guys, that is not a single user machine, it is multi user, multi machine environment

I need to have it scripted so users (that are users, not admins) can do the change themselves to predefined letter (lots depends on this very letter)

Come on guys, that is not a single user machine, it is multi user, multi machine environment

I need to have it scripted so users (that are users, not admins) can do the change themselves to predefined letter (lots depends on this very letter)
Then how did they get past the UAC prompt to install VCD in the first place? If it needs to be a predefined letter, the admin needs to set it in Disk Management right after installing VCD; if it's already installed, you gotta go back to each PC and do it yourself. (If you "ghost" your PCs, install VCD and set its letter on the initial PC before making your ghost image.)

Since VCD uses a low-level device driver that emulates a hardware drive controller, Windows sees its drives as physical optical drives. Once VCD is installed, whatever you do to set the drive letters for your physical optical drives should work with VCD drives as well.

Unless SlySoft's own network admin has some special trick to do it, there's not much more we can tell you. Most VCD users use it at home, not work; most of us are simply not familiar with tools for setting up business PCs.

Any "drive letter" tool will do.
Like this one:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/drive_letter_view.html
That's basically what I was saying, except I didn't have any specific tool in mind. Surely any network admin worth his Microsoft certifications uses some sort of tool to set drive letters (this one, Disk Management, etc.); because of how VCD works, any of those should work on VCD drives just like ordinary optical drives.

One more thing: If you need different letters for different uses of VCD, just tell VCD to create that many drives. When you launch VCD (tray icon, desktop, or Start Menu > Elaborate Bytes > VirtualCloneDrive > Virtual CloneDrive) there's a dropdown to tell VCD how many virtual drives to create, up to 15. (The help file still says 8, but it was raised to 15 in VCD 5.4.1.1.) Then, use your drive-letter tool to set the letter for each drive.

AFAIK there's no command-line way to do it (unless you have a command-line drive-letter tool), but there's plenty of ways around that. ;)

That Powershell script will do just fine:

Code:
$VCD = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_CDROMDrive -Filter "Caption = 'ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device'" | Select-Object -ExpandProperty Drive

#Sadly CIM_LogicalDevice does NOT have Drive as property - http://wutils.com/wmi/ROOT/cimv2/CIM_ManagedSystemElement/CIM_LogicalElement/CIM_LogicalDevice.html
#$VCD = Get-WmiObject -Class CIM_LogicalDevice -Filter "PNPDeviceID = 'SCSI\\CDROM&VEN_ELBY&PROD_CLONEDRIVE&REV_1.4\\1&2AFD7D61&0&000000'" | Select-Object Drive

$Letter = Get-WmiObject -Class Win32_Volume -Filter "DriveLetter = '$($VCD)'"

Set-WmiInstance -InputObject $Letter -Arguments @{DriveLetter="V:"}

Or one could use Chdrvletter

Last edited:
Back