• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive and Windows 7

After some investigation I don't believe it is an issue with VCD. I believe it is Windows cache manager allocating the memory to cache the image, especially if the image file is mounted over the network.

This is exactly what I'm doing in my situation. The ISO file is mounted over an SMB share to Windows 7. I'm very glad you've been able to reproduce this 100% :)

The memory isn't gone, Windows will use it as soon as it is required.

I also noticed that it seemed to be a massive increase in Windows Cache usage, however it does get released and the cache will continue to increase until the entire system goes down - as everything is allocated to cache.

Hopefully, the help from Ope and co will help nail this one down perfectly :)

Oh, and as always, I'm more than happy to try a new build :)

read failure

Something is not quite right with this caching scheme, when I mount an
ISO over SMB and use eac3to to process it, all physical memory is used
for caching and I guess that would be allright if it hadn't been for the
small problem that eac3to aborts with a read failure when memory usage
reaches 100%. The problem does not exist when the ISO is mounted from
a local disc.

5.4.2.1 on Win 7 official 7000 beta 64-bit

Installs fine, but if enabled (tried with 1 drive only so far) access to My Computer presents only running green indication bar. Can not access any drives (if same window), get drives properties or use Disk Management (it just sits there hanging)
Disabling VCD brings the system back to normality

So I'd would say it does not work (as one would expect)

Seb

Installing CloneDrive wrecked my entire install. The computer no longer outputs video to any of my monitors. I'm gonna have to install windows on another hard drive just so I can reformat my main hard drive and reinstall it again.

8800GT, with up-to-date 64-bit drivers from Nvidia.
MSI p6n platinum with no additional drivers.

All I had running was utorrent, and have had no problems with it, and made no changes for 3 days besides shutting it down at night, etc, so the problem was definitely initiated by CloneDrive.

Well you are installing it on a BETA OS for which VCD is not officially supported so you do install at your own risk.
Having said that, I've never had any problems with installing it on 32 or 64bit

Well you are installing it on a BETA OS for which VCD is not officially supported so you do install at your own risk.
Having said that, I've never had any problems with installing it on 32 or 64bit

Was there a point to this post, or do you just want to feel like you're better than me?

I am well aware of the risks of running an OS that's in beta. I was posting my personal experience with it, because if it's a common problem, someone might want to investigate. The only way to find out if it's a common problem is if people post when they encounter it.

In closing, HURDURRRR.

5.4.2.1 is now working perfectly on my Windows 7 Beta 1 machine. Thanks for updating it so quickly.

5.4.2.1 is now working perfectly on my Windows 7 Beta 1 machine. Thanks for updating it so quickly.

Out of interest, have you tried using this version on an ISO on a mounted network share?

EDIT: I don't have a problem using local ISO files on the physical HDD of the PC - but whenever I use an ISO from a network share, all hell breaks loose.

Out of interest, have you tried using this version on an ISO on a mounted network share?

EDIT: I don't have a problem using local ISO files on the physical HDD of the PC - but whenever I use an ISO from a network share, all hell breaks loose.

Hi !

The newest version works well for me, even with an iso from a network share (mounted as a network drive on the local pc) on Windows7. Limited testing though (just loaded a few isos and started a file from that iso)

5.4.2.1 still hangs after hibernate/resume

Hi James,

just tried 5.4.2.1 on Windows 7 x86 and it still hangs file system access. The important step is to hibernate/resume Windows.

Repro steps:

Install
Mount an iso
Unmount the iso
hibernate Windows
Turn on [resume] Windows
Click on the virtual drive -> explorer hangs, browsing the file system from any app hangs that app.

--
SvenC

Just tried the beta and it worked just fine on Windows 7 x64. I registered to this forum to give you guys a big THANK YOU for working so hard to solve our problems. Not only did you fix the problem, you guys weren't big jerks about it being a Beta OS like some *other group.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work! I will also gladly test out any new builds.

Just tried the beta and it worked just fine on Windows 7 x64. I registered to this forum to give you guys a big THANK YOU for working so hard to solve our problems. Not only did you fix the problem, you guys weren't big jerks about it being a Beta OS like some *other group.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work! I will also gladly test out any new builds.

Mercurius and saxnix, do you use hibernate to turn off Windows or do you always do a real shutdown of Windows?

When I resume my system from hibernation the first access to the virtual drive makes all following file system access hang.

--
SvenC

Only real shutdown for me. I am still trying to get some bugs worked out so am only using it as a test machine.

Hi James,

just tried 5.4.2.1 on Windows 7 x86 and it still hangs file system access. The important step is to hibernate/resume Windows.

Repro steps:

Install
Mount an iso
Unmount the iso
hibernate Windows
Turn on [resume] Windows
Click on the virtual drive -> explorer hangs, browsing the file system from any app hangs that app.

--
SvenC

Thank you, you're correct, I am able to reproduce this.

Good to see you can repro the hibernate/resume issue

Thank you, you're correct, I am able to reproduce this.

Thanks James for reproducing the issue. That's a good start to hunt this bug down.

--
SvenC

Yes, only real shutdown for me as well. I'm running a Core i7, and the x58 motherboards apparently have an issue with hibernation already, so I'm not sure I'd be able to narrow down the root cause of any problem. However, I will try it out to see if it repros for me.

Hi James,

It seems the memory eating issues with ISO files on a network drive is still present using 5.4.2.2.

EDIT: I now cannot seem to reclaim memory by using Eject twice.

Hi James,

It seems the memory eating issues with ISO files on a network drive is still present using 5.4.2.2.

As I said, this issue is not related to VCD. The memory is used by Windows' cache manager.

Unfortunately VCD doesn't allow unbuffered i/o on network shares (the setting in VCDPrefs is ignored), presumably because of performance considerations.

Back