• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive and Windows 7

Hi James,

The memory remains taken when the image is unmounted.

Are you 100% sure that you have unmounted? Not only ejected?

Are you 100% sure that you have unmounted? Not only ejected?

Yes. I unmount the image by right clicking on the drive, then Virtual CD -> Unmount. The memory used does not change after doing this.

Yes. I unmount the image by right clicking on the drive, then Virtual CD -> Unmount. The memory used does not change after doing this.
Thanks, that narrows it down ... a little. :eek:

Thanks, that narrows it down ... a little. :eek:

The joys of software development eh? ;)

As I said before, if you want to me test anything for you (maybe a debug version that outputs mem usage to a text file?) then feel free to let me know and I'll send you whatever info I can to narrow things down more.

VCD 5.4.1.4 hangs after resume from hibernate

I tried the beta version but it shows the same effect: after resuming from hibernate Explorer.exe hangs after a little browsing.

As soon as I click on the Virtual Drive explorer.exe gets unresponsive.

This happens on Windows 7 beta 1 x86.

After uninstalling VCD I can hibernate and resume without problems.

Regards,
SvenC

Hanging after system resume on Win2008 R2 x64 as well

Just wanted to let you know that I see the same behaviour on my desktop computer where I run the server version of Windows 7 beta 1, which is Windows Server 2008 R2. This is an x64 installation.

When VCD is installed, file system access hangs after I resume the system from hibernation.

I just have to click on the virtual Drive and explorer.exe hangs. Some other browsing actions do start the hanging as well.

Just like CRC I have no problems with installing and testing a dev built where you have some extra tracing enabled. The problem could be that such a trace log cannot be easily written to disk as disk access tends to create the hang problems.

Regards,
SvenC

Hi James,

The problem still seems to happen - however I noticed something interesting...

After running the installer, memory usage continues to rise (5420.png in the attached ZIP file). The drop at the end of the climb is me exiting the installer.

After unmounting the image, memory wasn't released - HOWEVER, after clicking the unmount menu item again, the memory was released (see 5420-unmount-twice.png).

Maybe this might give you a more specific location of the error?

Attachments

• 5420.zip
    135.4 KB · Views: 2
Thanks a ton James.

The update worked (for the most part) and I'm able to ditch the POS app that I had to use in the meantime.

It did hang on the restart after the install but subsequent restarts restarted as expected.

I haven't gone through the entire suite of tests but I was able to install, mount, play/explore, and unmount from a single virtual.

This new version appeared to work initially after installation. I was able to mount/unmount iso's right after installation, but after a restart it reverted back to the same behavior as the previous version (unable to add/remove drives, inconsistently able to mount/unmount iso's).

I think part of the problem in regards to mounting/unmounting is that file explorer is not detecting the change properly. Most of the time the mount/unmount is successful, but it's not reflected in file explorer and is also not detected by autorun (probably for the same reasons). If I right click on the drive and select "play", the DVD does play properly.

The restart was successful though, no hangup that time at least. I'll try it again when I get a chance.

Once again, this is on 32bit Win7.

Edit: I tried restarting again, still no go. Hung up the same as before. Odd that the first restart worked, although Win7 installed an update on that restart, maybe that was the difference?

Last edited:
Same Issue

I have experienced the same issue as everyone else. The beta version does not help either. This program is so indispensable and thanks for that. I hope you'll be able to come out with a System 7-compatible version soon. Meanwhile, anyone has found a program that will work well enough for the time being?

5.4.2.0 seems to be working for me without any problems with 7 64bit. I was able to install after failed uninstall with forced shutdown.
Unless I don't understand the issue, I don't see any memory loss. With Pdvd playing I am seeing 34% memory usage steady.

Last edited:
All of my SlySoft products work fine under Win7 except for the CloneDrive. I've tested with both Enterprise and Ultimate x64 editions with no luck on either one. This issue, for me, is isolated just to this product and is not due to other apps (several tests as the first app installed after fresh install).

After isntalling VCD, I'm unable to restart or shut down, the system hangs on the shuting down screen. After a hard shutdown and restart, the system restarts as what'd appear to be as expected but some services fail to respond and I'm still unable to restart. The failed services also prevent uninstallation as well as restoring. Restore had to be completed from the installation DVD.

The same has been tested with the same results using the Beta version posted by James.

Look here:
http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=25660

Check the installation instructions I've written in this thread.

Hi James,

The problem still seems to happen - however I noticed something interesting...

After running the installer, memory usage continues to rise (5420.png in the attached ZIP file). The drop at the end of the climb is me exiting the installer.

After unmounting the image, memory wasn't released - HOWEVER, after clicking the unmount menu item again, the memory was released (see 5420-unmount-twice.png).

Maybe this might give you a more specific location of the error?

Please check this version:

Hi James,

I'm the Program Manager for the Optical team in Windows. We are aware of certain compatibility issues with the vclone.sys driver and Windows 7 and we have been trying to get in touch with Slysoft so we can investigate the issue together. Please have one of your Engineers contact us at: optissue@microsoft.com

Thanks,
Ope

Hi James,

The same issue is still present. Again, choosing the unmount or eject option twice (once to unmount the image, and once to free the used memory) seems to act as a workaround at this point in time.

After some investigation I don't believe it is an issue with VCD. I believe it is Windows cache manager allocating the memory to cache the image, especially if the image file is mounted over the network.

The memory isn't gone, Windows will use it as soon as it is required.

Hi Ope,

Hi James,

I'm the Program Manager for the Optical team in Windows. We are aware of certain compatibility issues with the vclone.sys driver and Windows 7 and we have been trying to get in touch with Slysoft so we can investigate the issue together. Please have one of your Engineers contact us at: optissue@microsoft.com

Thanks,
Ope

thanks, I've already forwarded your request to the person in charge. As Virtual CloneDrive isn't developed in house, it can take a little while, but I'm certain he'll contact you.
I've done my own testing and the issues with Windows 7 I am aware of (system hang at driver unload, system shutdown and power saving) seem all to be resolved with the latest VCD beta I have received today.

As you probably know, VClone.sys is implemented as a scsi miniport, which isn't "quite right" (some may argue, it is impossible), but for Windows 2000/XP/Vista (no SP1) there wasn't much choice. Microsoft doesn't want SCSI miniports to call anything but SCSIPort functions (making a virtual miniport impossible) but also doesn't support 3rd party port drivers. Picking the scsi miniport model was certainly the safer approach.

Windows 7 offers virtual storport miniports (it's about time ;) ), so a Windows 7 virtual clonedrive driver should be re-implemented as a storport virtual miniport.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have no problems installing and using VCD 5.4 on Win7 32-bit and Win2008R2 x64. (on x64 you may have to use F8 when booting to start windows without driver signing requirements - that cannot be turned off since Vista SP1 x64 / Win 2008 x64).

My problem: after resuming from hibernate I experience hang ups of explorer.exe and of all apps using the common file dialogs. When I start browsing in the file system the corresponding app (explorer.exe, notepad.exe... stop responding)

Unfortunately explorer.exe cannot be killed, even when elevated as admin (tried task manager, processexplorer ans pskill) I have to power off and restart the system to get control again.

Without VCD i did not see this behaviour.

Just upgraded to 5.4.1.4 beta and see what happens.

--
SvenC

VCD 5.4.2.1 beta should fix this:

Back