• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive and NRG files - question

jolo10

:)I hope someone can answer a question for me.
First thing is that I am Slyfox 6.4.8.5b in the background.
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate 64.

I used Nero to make a total copy, therefore creating a image file of a CD. As Nero version 8 does, is to create a .nrg file.

Then I told the Virtual CloneDrive, version 5.4.0.6, to allow for 1 drive.

I went to the .nrg file, right clicked and clicked on the option to mount files with Virtual CloneDrive.

It seemed to have worked, the .nrg file has an Icon of the Elby sheep and Slyfox recognizes it as Drive I: Elby CloneDrive 1.4.

Then I went to "Computer", and Windows showed that I had a drive I. When I went to open it, I received a Windows error windows telling me basically, that it cannot read the contents of the drive and that I might consider re-formatting it.
What was interesting, is that, when I right clicked on "I" drive, and clicked on properties, Hardware, I see ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI cdRom Device. From their, if I click on the details tab, It under Description CD Rom Drive.

I went to another product that would normally allow me to play the virtual CD and while it sees the virtual Drive I, I get an error message that it cannot open it up.

Bottom line is ------Does Virtual CloneDrive not handle .nrg files ?
Can this be a Vista 64 issue ??
Can it be user stupidity (me).
All of the above !!

I would appreciate your help.

Jon

If you associate a file extension with a program then it will get the icon of the associated program. That said, .NRG files are not supported by Virtual CloneDrive.

You problem isn't a Vista x64 issue or you not doing something correctly. It simply isn't possible to deal with .NRG files with VCD.

No NRG for Virtual CloneDrive

If you associate a file extension with a program then it will get the icon of the associated program. That said, .NRG files are not supported by Virtual CloneDrive.

You problem isn't a Vista x64 issue or you not doing something correctly. It simply isn't possible to deal with .NRG files with VCD.

Thank you for your fast and precise answer.
Is this a situation where a feature could be possibly added to Virtual CloneDrive in the future, or is it possible that Nero won't allow Virtual CloneDrive to touch it, because of some copyright violations ?

Thanks,

Jon

Thank you for your fast and precise answer.
Is this a situation where a feature could be possibly added to Virtual CloneDrive in the future, or is it possible that Nero won't allow Virtual CloneDrive to touch it, because of some copyright violations ?

Thanks,

Jon

As far as I understand there isn't much difference between .ISO files and .NRG files but it's possible that a licensing may be required for software to support .NRG files. I honestly don't know.

In general, it appears that Elaborate Bytes isn't interested in supporting proprietary image formats. I am in no way speaking for Elaborate Bytes when I say this. I'm just saying what appears to be the case.

Last edited:
Hmm, that's a pitty. Are there any plans to support .nrg images in future?

Since Nero is quite common, I assume that also .nrg images are quite abundant. Now, that Nero has dropped it's own ImageDrive, it would be really nice to have another tool that could take care of .nrg images!

Or is there any specific reason why it's not supported?

Best regards
- spitfire

Hmm, that's a pitty. Are there any plans to support .nrg images in future?

Since Nero is quite common, I assume that also .nrg images are quite abundant. Now, that Nero has dropped it's own ImageDrive, it would be really nice to have another tool that could take care of .nrg images!

Or is there any specific reason why it's not supported?

Best regards
- spitfire

I used to use Nero and I found great annoyance in the fact that they essentially tried to force me to create NRG images and thereby be stuck using their software. Create a proprietary format and then make your customers have to use your own software.

People who have NRG files and want to use them with VCD can do one of two things: create a new image in a compatible format or convert their existing NRG file to an ISO image.

Two possible solutions for converting are UltraISO (shareware) and a product called AnyToISO (freeware). I've never actually used AnyToISO but it is a very small freeware application by CrystalIdea Software Company. They also make a application I love called Uninstall Tool that can be used as a replacement for Windows' Add/Remove/Programs and Features.

AnyToISO can be found here: http://www.crystalidea.com/anytoiso. AnyToISO can convert BIN, MDF, PDI, CDI, NRG, B5I, and IMG imgaes to ISO and is compatible with Vista x64.

I take zero responsibility for any problems that result from using these other programs and they are merely suggestions.

I used to use Nero and I found great annoyance in the fact that they essentially tried to force me to create NRG images and thereby be stuck using their software. Create a proprietary format and then make your customers have to use your own software.

People who have NRG files and want to use them with VCD can do one of two things: create a new image in a compatible format or convert their existing NRG file to an ISO image.

Two possible solutions for converting are UltraISO (shareware) and a product called AnyToISO (freeware). I've never actually used AnyToISO but it is a very small freeware application by CrystalIdea Software Company. They also make a application I love called Uninstall Tool that can be used as a replacement for Windows' Add/Remove/Programs and Features.

AnyToISO can be found here: http://www.crystalidea.com/anytoiso. AnyToISO can convert BIN, MDF, PDI, CDI, NRG, B5I, and IMG imgaes to ISO and is compatible with Vista x64.

I take zero responsibility for any problems that result from using these other programs and they are merely suggestions.
You cannot convert audio images to .iso.

Thank you very much for the information and suggestions. I take it, it's not possible to directly support nrg images, because it would either be not legal or technically not possible, since it is a proprietary format?

Best regards and Merry X-Mas

- spitfire

P.S. The fact, that you have to create nrg images when using Nero also annoyed me greatly; I know what you mean ;) Maybe they changed that with their new versions, because the new versions no longer contain Nero ImageDrive?

My understanding (an admittedly pretty sketchy understanding) of .nrg files is that if they're simply data images with a single session, they are basically .iso files (and most things will work with them if you simply rename them with an .iso extension).

However, if they are audio disc images or data images with multiple sessions, then they are not .iso compatible.

In the Nero control applet select to "make all types and formats avalible in image writer" and then chose to save images as "ISO" rather than NRG.
As for the constant calls to switch (on many boards) from Nero, people just can't understand that Nero does alot that the others (IMGBurn et al) can't.
It would be nice to see nero files supported since I use the software for more "exotic" formats that can't be saved as ISO images.

What things can Nero burning Rom's do that Imgburn can't? and as an ISO is the full image of a disc what else could there be in these 'exotic' formats?

as an ISO is the full image of a disc what else could there be in these 'exotic' formats?

Support for track information, CD Audio and multiple sessions.

For some image formats (not .nrg) the image can contain sub-channel or other info (some of which might be used in copy protection schemes).

In the Nero control applet select to "make all types and formats avalible in image writer" and then chose to save images as "ISO" rather than NRG.

Great hint, I didn't know that, thanks! But still, I agree with you, nrg support would be real nice. If I got it right, daemon tools does support nrg images, so it should technically be possible. Further on, already my first try to mount an nrg using virtual cloneDrive by first converting the nrg file to an iso file failed. (nrg backup image of Powerquest Driveimage 2002, converted via nrg2iso, tried to mount the resulting iso-image, gave me a corrupt data error). So the current situation is not really pleasing and, for me, Virtual CloneDrive is no alternative to Nero ImageDrive, as much as I like slysoft's other products.

So please, add nrg-support, that'd be awesome!

Multitracking, and ordering, RAM-position cloning....
Lets see, HVD, CHDVD, CVD, EVD, Karaoke (KCD and KDD images), S2D (subtitle on second disc)....

Nero, and ISOBuster, can use NRG images for reverse track recording on EITHER layer (ImgBurn can only reverse the second layer, and NOT from a prebuilt image).

DVD-RAM clones with split-positioning and duplicate positioning. Realising that none of this is "common", it still would be nice to add nrg support for those of us who DO use the more advanced and uncommon power features that can not be achieved in a standard ISO format.

Oh, and there's CDT/CDT+ (CDDA with Text), CDEG, multisession cloning, ...!
Data position measurement clones, Ghosting bans and violations of user rights , (known as DRM),
For those that "need" nrg images, the support would be great.
>> How about a "Pro" version of VCD for a fee? I'd pay for it! kind of like DT and Alc have pro versions and free versions. You could make the pro version support other more advanced images like NRG and IGF files that are much harder to implement support for!? 29.99 lifetime sale?

Pro version is a good idea. I'd also be glad to pay if it supported more formats! Just a pity, lifetime licenses won't be available anymore next year ...

nice necromancy for a newbie with his first post. Dig up a 2.5year old thread lol

Back