• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.4.3 beta

Microsoft Security Essentials detected IO.DLL from the setup package as OpenCandy (adware) and asked how to proceed. After I confirmed VCD wasn't holding it open, I allowed it to quarantine the adware (I assume it actually is OpenCandy). VCD appears unaffected; this detection comes after having the current version installed for the last some weeks, and after using VCD for some time now.

Microsoft Security Essentials detected IO.DLL from the setup package as OpenCandy (adware) and asked how to proceed. After I confirmed VCD wasn't holding it open, I allowed it to quarantine the adware (I assume it actually is OpenCandy). VCD appears unaffected; this detection comes after having the current version installed for the last some weeks, and after using VCD for some time now.

Got the same this morning about IO.dll, what should we do with it?

I hate to do the AOL thing but "me too". :agree:

I selected "Allow" for now until I hear differently.

Contact Microsoft and any other antivirus vendor who is detecting this as a problem. io.dll is a valid file. The MD5 hash for the file is A13398781268733FF76E5EC7CB2E0738. More importantly, the VCD installer was digitally signed on January 15, 2011. If the signature on the installer is valid then it's not a problem with the file.

Btw, I just submitted io.dll to VirusTotal. Out of 40 antivirus products only Microsoft is detecting something: Adware:Win32/OpenCandy. Submit the file to Microsoft so that they can update their security software.

Got the same this morning about IO.dll, what should we do with it?

VCD doesn't use or need this file. It won't do any harm. You can delete it or keep it.

Contact Microsoft and any other antivirus vendor who is detecting this as a problem. io.dll is a valid file. The MD5 hash for the file is A13398781268733FF76E5EC7CB2E0738. More importantly, the VCD installer was digitally signed on January 15, 2011. If the signature on the installer is valid then it's not a problem with the file.

Btw, I just submitted io.dll to VirusTotal. Out of 40 antivirus products only Microsoft is detecting something: Adware:Win32/OpenCandy. Submit the file to Microsoft so that they can update their security software.

It is adware, if it used. VCD doesn't use it, so it is just a file. ;)
AFAIK elby thought about adding open candy to the installer, but didn't do it. It must be a leftover.

It is adware, if it used. VCD doesn't use it, so it is just a file. ;)
AFAIK elby thought about adding open candy to the installer, but didn't do it. It must be a leftover.

Lovely. Yeah, it must be an unused leftover because it appears on a brand spanking new clean Windows install when no other VCD version has ever been present. Give them an elbow to remove the file in the next release. ;)

Maybe that says something about MS's program if 40 others missed it

Maybe that says something about MS's program if 40 others missed it

It needs to be taken into account that the version of VCD has been out for over a month with zero issues. So, no, I don't consider Microsoft as having picked up something someone else missed where everyone made a mistake. Apparently, Microsoft is more zealous when it comes to some detections/warnings. Neither Windows Defender or ESET bat an eyelash at this file. A host of other programs also don't decide to negatively view the file.

Regardless, looking at what OpenCandy really is isn't a bad thing either. Refer to the official website and the FAQ for it.

Q: What is OpenCandy?

A: OpenCandy runs a moderated recommendation network that enables software developers to recommend other software during installation of their application they believe will be valuable to their users. We were started by a passionate group of people who were determined to help users discover software and change the way software developers make money and reach new users. That’s why OpenCandy-powered recommendations are clearly labeled and why we allow only the best software into our network.

It pretty much becomes inert after installation of the software that uses it is installed. It merely offers you the option to install something else but with OpenCandy the default setting is to not install the recommended product which is great for people who never pay attention to what buttons they are pressing during software installation. Many programs that I use which have pages hosted on SourceForge.net make use of OpenCandy in their installers.

It's cool that Microsoft warns you of this file, I guess, but OpenCandy, itself, is not nefarious and in this particular case it isn't even being used. So, yes, an OpenCandy file is present but it isn't doing anything and poses no actual problem for those receiving warnings.

Clicking on the "Get more information link about this item online." in MSE after the detection takes you to this page:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/p...x?name=Adware:Win32/OpenCandy&threatid=159633

It was just added to the MSE database yesterday.

Detection initially created:
Definition: 1.97.1582.0
Released: Feb 12, 2011

Latest Definitions 1.97.1629.0 released earlier today still detect it. Maybe after the weekend is over they'll get around to correcting their database. :doh:

PDVD and Virtual Clone Drive

Thanks for the update, however PDVD still gives me an Unsupported Error. If i revert to an older version/revision (10.0.1830.51) I do not have this issue. If there are any logs created anywhere i would gladly post them.. Also, could the way Imgburn creates a ISO be a cause? Maybe something has changed in his newer versions? I know this isnt a Imgburn forum, im just wondering thats all.

I also had a lot of problems with Power DVD. Since one year ago, I use TMT3 platinum and now I have no problem. Also Corel WinDVD 9 blu-ray works very good with Virtual Clone Drive, but only TMT3 is able to read every type of video file. Besides, both programs work good with the modern sound track formats: Dolby Digital HD and DTS HD Master Audio.
Greetings

Is it just me or is the download link not working? (At least not any more or right now.)

EDIT: Nevermind (DOH!) Newer stable version out...

Back