• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.3.4 beta

James

Redfox Development Team
Staff member
Please try this version:

http://sandbox.slysoft.com/beta/SetupVirtualCloneDrive5434.exe

Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.3.4: 2009 07 14
- New: Added version info to tray icon
- Change: Default file associations
- Fix: Optical drives could disappear after uninstall
- Updated languages
- Some minor changes and improvements

Bug in the tryicon: ejecetd CD image from Windows doesn't reflect in the tryicon

When I eject a mounted CD/DVD using Vista's menu the tryicon in the bottom right will still report the DVD is in, which is not actually.
Here is a video: http://www.sendspace.com/file/vv8s0k

Last edited:
You want to use Unmount from the Virtual CloneDrive context menu rather than Eject.

Of course it works. The point is that it should "know" if a CD/DVD has already been ejected using the OS Eject feature. They should be synchronized and reflect the same status IMO. Can't be fixed?

Last edited:
Of course it works. The point is that it should "know" if a CD/DVD has already been ejected using the OS Eject feature. They should be synchronized and reflect the same status IMO. Can't be fixed?

It's an emulation of an eject/closetray. I believe James has stated that this is a feature and not a bug. Why can't you use mount/unmount?...is it too UNIX/Linux-like?

It's an emulation of an eject/closetray. I believe James has stated that this is a feature and not a bug.

Correct. Otherwise "Close Tray" wouldn't make any sense at all.

IMHO the trayicon should reflect the actual status of the emulated drive, hence if a user ejected it from Windows it should be detected by VCD too and dismounted in the trayicon menus... Will look better integrated with the OS.

P.S.:
I've been using Unix-like systems for 20 years, that's not the point, really...

Last edited:
IMHO the trayicon should reflect the actual status of the emulated drive, hence if a user ejected it from Windows it should be detected by VCD too and dismounted in the trayicon menus... Will look better integrated with the OS.

No, otherwise you wouldn't know what image is present for a "close tray" operation.

Think of a real drive (with a tray):

You eject - the tray opens. But the disc is still there. You close the tray - the disc will be available.
VCD simulates this behaviour.

Only if you manually remove the disc from the drive tray it will be gone. That's what the unmount command of VCD does.

If you pick another disc from your shelf and insert it to a drive - that's the mount command. For convenience you don't need to eject - unmount - mount - close tray, a single mount command will work, too. ;)

Same for unmount: you don't need to eject first.

EDIT:
You can try it with a real drive. VCD's "close tray" works with physical drives, too.

Simply: eject (from Windows) should work as VCD's dismount IMO. So I expected VCD to notice the ejection. That's the most logic thing for a program that should integrate with an OS giving it the ability to virtually mount CD images.
If you want it to be a CD+tray emulator ;) ok, but it's uncomfortable and not logical this way. Once you eject it from Windows the CD image won't be available anymore by any application. So the trayicon reporting it to be still mounted is a useless nonsense IMO. I prefer a more logical integration with the OS.
Hope you'll reconsider my point of view.

Last edited:
Once you eject it from Windows the CD image won't be available anymore by any application.

It is still available for any application sending a "close tray SCSI CMD" to the drive, e.g. the VCDMount.exe utility.

EDIT:
Or CloneCD, which can eject / close the tray after a read operation. There may be many other programs.
Think of it this way:
With eject/close tray any application can temporary remove/reinsert a disc. VCD will keep the image file open during this time, hence it is *right and important* that this is reflected to the user. E.g., it is not possible to delete the image in this situation.
Only unmount will close the file.

Last edited:
It is still available for any application sending a "close tray SCSI CMD" to the drive, e.g. the VCDMount.exe utility.

EDIT:
Or CloneCD, which can eject / close the tray after a read operation. There may be many other programs.
Think of it this way:
If eject/close tray any application can temporary remove/reinsert a disc. VCD will keep the image file open during this time, hence it is *right and important* that this is reflected to the user. E.g., it is not possible to delete the image in this situation.
Only unmount will close the file.

Yeah, very logical, you can't use it from Windows GUI and if you double-click the empty VCD it will ask you to insert the CD, but from shell you could mount it again... Shouldn't be more logical that if you eject it from Win it will work as a dismount? If you don't want to make it as default I hope at least you'll add an (hidden?) option to work like that...
In case, let me know so I'll update again the Italian translation.

Yeah, very logical, you can't use it from Windows GUI

You can. Right click the drive icon. Or use any GUI based program, which can close a drive tray. E.g., CloneCD can.

and if you double-click the empty VCD it will ask you to insert the CD

Same with a real drive, where a disc is sitting in an open tray.

If you don't want to make it as default I hope at least you'll add an (hidden?) option to work like that...

I'll discuss it with the SwissBoys.

Thank you.
In the meanwhile I have to admit that you were right... :doh:
Even when you "Eject" a USB pendrive it stays still loaded (i.e. you have still to select the classic "Remove drive x:..." from the tray) so it's probably technically correct the behaviour of VCD. Didn't notice this, sorry.

Back