• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Virtual Clone Drive refuses to mount certain ISO files

Franz47

I have been using Daemon tools lite up to now, made ISO Images of disks with it and have been able to mount them onto max 4 drives with it. No problem.

Now I have moved to Virtual Clone drive because it supports 8 drives so I would skip some disk shuffling.

Mounting ISO files of annual volumes of computer magazine CT works ok.

The same magazine issues several software disks every with its subscription, so I have ISO images of them (produced with Daemon tools lite and mounted with it without problem earlier) and tried to mount them. Not possible. All the sheeps blink a bit but no data appear in the drives.

How can I solve that problem?

Franz47

I have been using Daemon tools lite up to now, made ISO Images of disks with it and have been able to mount them onto max 4 drives with it. No problem.

Now I have moved to Virtual Clone drive because it supports 8 drives so I would skip some disk shuffling.

Mounting ISO files of annual volumes of computer magazine CT works ok.

The same magazine issues several software disks every with its subscription, so I have ISO images of them (produced with Daemon tools lite and mounted with it without problem earlier) and tried to mount them. Not possible. All the sheeps blink a bit but no data appear in the drives.

How can I solve that problem?

Franz47

Well did you try to burn them and run from the cd/dvd and see if the iso images worked? That is another way to test whether the image was correctly created? Also what version of VCD are you using? You told the problem but don't give exact error msg or screen of the problem to start with? Also you sure the Daemon tools is not flawed when it did the image? And the real test would be burn the image and see if they work on another computer. For help with Daemon tools you might want to contact the software creator and ask for more assistance as mostly here is dealing with Slysoft software issues and problems.

Well did you try to burn them and run from the cd/dvd and see if the iso images worked? That is another way to test whether the image was correctly created? Also what version of VCD are you using? You told the problem but don't give exact error msg or screen of the problem to start with? Also you sure the Daemon tools is not flawed when it did the image? And the real test would be burn the image and see if they work on another computer. For help with Daemon tools you might want to contact the software creator and ask for more assistance as mostly here is dealing with Slysoft software issues and problems.

Thank You for your response. I am surprised one got the impression I was looking for support for Daemon tools here. Daemon tools did work fine and I wanted to move to another mounting software to be able to have more drives mounted at the same time. I had problems with VCD and Daemon tools was just part of the patient´s history.

There was no error message on the screen. The sheeps just blink once and nothing else happens when I try to mount certain ISO images.

The version of VCD was 5.4.7.0 downloaded from http://www.heise.de/download/virtual-clonedrive.html

I have tried WINCDemu now, another mounting utility. The ISO images which do not work with Virtual Clone Drive are mounted without problem by WINCDemu. So I have deinstalled VCD and switched to WINCDemu.

Thanks for help anyway!

Regards
Franz47

Some problem here

Hi,
I use Win7 x64. I have used Daemon tools long ago and switched to Virtual Clone CD for the same reason. Everything worked fine last year. Over about 3 month I just ripped BluRays with AnyDVD HD and did not mount them. Now I wanted to start mounting them again with Virtual Clone Drive. Before that I updated to latest versions. It's a pity, that I don't know which versions it were before. Virtual Clone CD must be one version back. Last AnyDVD version I can verify that worked was the latest in October or so...

I did everything like I was used to. Ripping BluRay with AnyDVD HD. Then mounting iso with Virtual Clone Drive. As I mentioned this worked last year. This year I can't access the BluRay in the virtual drive anymore. I can't browse in Windows explorer and can't play it in PowerDVD 12. But MakeMKV is able read the mounted iso.

Because I need to see the menue of the BluRay I installed Daemon Tools again and tried the same iso files. And they work perfectly. So I think there must be some change in Virtual Clone Drives last version or in some version of AnyDVD HD since last October or so.

For testing I mounted some CD and DVD iso files with Virtual Clone CD which works fine as always. HD-DVD iso files don't work either. Sadly I don't have any iso files left which were created before October 2013. Because I've made mkv files out of them and deleted them. I wanted to test an older version of Virtual Clone Drive, but I can't find one from a trusted site. Perhaps someone can give me version 5.4.6.0 or 5.4.5.0?

Just FYI, VCD supports 15 drives.

Which OS are you using?

Hi,
I use Win7 x64. I have used Daemon tools long ago and switched to Virtual Clone CD for the same reason. Everything worked fine last year. Over about 3 month I just ripped BluRays with AnyDVD HD and did not mount them. Now I wanted to start mounting them again with Virtual Clone Drive. Before that I updated to latest versions. It's a pity, that I don't know which versions it were before. Virtual Clone CD must be one version back. Last AnyDVD version I can verify that worked was the latest in October or so...

I did everything like I was used to. Ripping BluRay with AnyDVD HD. Then mounting iso with Virtual Clone Drive. As I mentioned this worked last year. This year I can't access the BluRay in the virtual drive anymore. I can't browse in Windows explorer and can't play it in PowerDVD 12. But MakeMKV is able read the mounted iso.

Because I need to see the menue of the BluRay I installed Daemon Tools again and tried the same iso files. And they work perfectly. So I think there must be some change in Virtual Clone Drives last version or in some version of AnyDVD HD since last October or so.

For testing I mounted some CD and DVD iso files with Virtual Clone CD which works fine as always. HD-DVD iso files don't work either. Sadly I don't have any iso files left which were created before October 2013. Because I've made mkv files out of them and deleted them. I wanted to test an older version of Virtual Clone Drive, but I can't find one from a trusted site. Perhaps someone can give me version 5.4.6.0 or 5.4.5.0?
Which OS are you using? XP? Windows 7? 8? 8.1?

The same ISO-images work fine with WINCDEMU

When my ISO-Images have worked fine with Daemon tools why should I burn DVDs to see if they are ok? Would be a waste of disks.
I have moved to WINCDEMU http://www.heise.de/download/wincdemu.html now and the same ISO images which did not work with VCD work again flawlessly.
I used the lates version of VCD from http://www.heise.de/download/virtual-clonedrive.html version 5.4.7.0 with Windows 7 64 bit
Since I have a working solution now I will not any more pursue the task to get VCD working. Thanks anyway for any attempt to help me.
Franz47

Maybe an obvious question but did you try uninstalling and re-installing VCD? It sounds it could be a VCD problem with your pc. If the images previously worked with VCD, then something has happened to either the O/S VCD driver installed on your PC or more likely, the media that the images are stored on has a problem. I doubt if it could be a VCD version problem if the image worked on previous versions. but curious to hear back on what you come up with.

Last edited:
works with 5.4.6.0, but not with 5.4.7.0

I uninstalled and reinstalled 5.4.7.0 - same problem.
I uninstalled 5.4.7.0 and installed 5.4.6.0 - works like a charm.
I uninstalled 5.4.6.0 and installed 5.4.7.0 - same problem again.
Deactivated AnyDVD.

So I stay at 5.4.6.0....
If I can help solving the problem, I'll try ;-)

I uninstalled 5.4.7.0 and installed 5.4.6.0 - works like a charm.
I uninstalled 5.4.6.0 and installed 5.4.7.0 - same problem again.
Deactivated AnyDVD.

So I stay at 5.4.6.0....
If I can help solving the problem, I'll try ;-)

Exact same behavior here.... so for now 5.4.7.0 is just broken and i stick with 5.4.6.0 (which works like a charm)

I too have experienced issues with v5.4.7.0.

There's a 'READ DISC INFORMATION' command sent by the UDFS system driver that VCD seems to be returning incorrect info to - basically making out that the disc is blank. If there's another file system on the disc (besides UDF I mean), the OS is able to parse that and you'll see the contents of the image you've mounted. Otherwise, the OS reports the disc is corrupt or unsupported - because it doesn't bother attempting to parse the UDF file system on a disc that appears to be blank.

Byte 2 is what's wrong...

Code:
Device  Length    Phase  Data                                                                                                    Description                       Delta  Cmd.Phase.Ofs(rep)  Time          Driver      
------  --------  -----  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  --------------------------------  -----  ------------------  ------------  ------------
  23              CMD    51 00 00 00  00 00 00 01  00 00                                                                         READ DISC INFO                     16us       142.1.0        08:22:28.452  udfs          
  23          42  OUT    00 20 00 01  01 01 01 00  00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00  00 ff ff ff  00 ff ff ff  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  . ..........*...................   16us       142.2.0        08:22:28.452                
                         00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00                                                                         ..........                                    142.2.32

The first 4 bytes should be '00 20 0e 01', not '00 20 00 01'.
I'm not sure where the '2A' in byte 12 is coming from either!

It seems fine when using v5.4.6.0...

Code:
Device  Length    Phase  Data                                                                                                    Description                       Delta  Cmd.Phase.Ofs(rep)  Time          Driver      
------  --------  -----  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  --------------------------------  -----  ------------------  ------------  ------------
  23              CMD    51 00 00 00  00 00 00 01  00 00                                                                         READ DISC INFO                     15us        30.1.0        09:10:11.369  udfs          
  23          42  IN     00 20 0e 01  01 01 01 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 ff ff ff  00 ff ff ff  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  . ..............................   21us        30.2.0        09:10:11.369                
                         00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00                                                                         ..........                                     30.2.32

What's weird is that when ImgBurn issues the same command (but with a different allocation length), even 5.4.7.0 returns the correct info.

Code:
  23              CMD    51 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  20 00                                                                         READ DISC INFO                     11us        75.1.0        09:30:53.266  unknown       
  23          32  IN     00 20 0e 01  01 01 01 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 ff ff ff  00 ff ff ff  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  . ..............................   26us        75.2.0        09:30:53.266

I too have experienced issues with v5.4.7.0.

There's a 'READ DISC INFORMATION' command sent by the UDFS system driver that VCD seems to be returning incorrect info to - basically making out that the disc is blank. If there's another file system on the disc (besides UDF I mean), the OS is able to parse that and you'll see the contents of the image you've mounted. Otherwise, the OS reports the disc is corrupt or unsupported - because it doesn't bother attempting to parse the UDF file system on a disc that appears to be blank.

Byte 2 is what's wrong...

Code:
  23              CMD    51 00 00 00  00 00 00 01  00 00                                                                         READ DISC INFO                     16us       142.1.0        08:22:28.452  udfs          
  23          42  OUT    00 20 00 01  01 01 01 00  00 00 00 00  2a 00 00 00  00 ff ff ff  00 ff ff ff  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  . ..........*...................   16us       142.2.0        08:22:28.452                
                         00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00                                                                         ..........                                    142.2.32

The first 4 bytes should be '00 20 0e 01', not '00 20 00 01'.
I'm not sure where the '2A' in byte 12 is coming from either!

It seems fine when using v5.4.6.0...

Code:
  23              CMD    51 00 00 00  00 00 00 01  00 00                                                                         READ DISC INFO                     15us        30.1.0        09:10:11.369  udfs          
  23          42  IN     00 20 0e 01  01 01 01 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 ff ff ff  00 ff ff ff  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  . ..............................   21us        30.2.0        09:10:11.369                
                         00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 00                                                                         ..........                                     30.2.32

What's weird is that when ImgBurn issues the same command (but with a different allocation length), even 5.4.7.0 returns the correct info.

Code:
  23              CMD    51 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  20 00                                                                         READ DISC INFO                     11us        75.1.0        09:30:53.266  unknown       
  23          32  IN     00 20 0e 01  01 01 01 00  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  00 ff ff ff  00 ff ff ff  00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00  . ..............................   26us        75.2.0        09:30:53.266

Thank you for looking into the problem. The weird thing is, that the response data is hard coded, so I see no reason, why VCD should ever return something different. And I am not able to reproduce this. Here is a log from my Win7 x64 machine while mounting a BD iso:

Code:
CDB 10: 0x51 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x01 0x00 0x00
Data direction: in (read), SrbStatus: 0x12, ScsiStatus: 0x00, DataTransferLength: 42
0000: 00 20 0e 01 01 01 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  . ..............
0010: 00 ff ff ff 00 ff ff ff 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ................
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  ..........

Are there any other drivers in the stack, which might alter the buffer? I assume, you are using Win7 64bit? (I haven't tested 32 bit Win7)

Hi James,

Yes, Win 7 SP1 x64 here.

My filter driver list is as follows...

Code:
===============================================
Filter Driver Load Order - ImgBurn v2.5.8.1
===============================================

Upper Device Filter:  [None Found]
 Upper Class Filter:  [None Found]
             Device:  CD/DVD-ROM Device
 Lower Class Filter:  ElbyCDFL
 Lower Class Filter:  AnyDVD
Lower Device Filter:  [None Found]

Filter Name:  ElbyCDFL
          File Name:  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\ElbyCDFL.sys
       File Version:  5, 2, 1, 4 [5.2.1.4]
   File Description:  ElbyCDIO Filter Driver
       Product Name:  CloneCD
    Product Version:  5, 2, 1, 3 [5.2.1.3]
       Company Name:  SlySoft, Inc.
          Copyright:  Copyright (C) 2003 - 2010 SlySoft, Inc.

Filter Name:  AnyDVD
          File Name:  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\AnyDVD.sys
       File Version:  7.4.6.1
   File Description:  AnyDVD Filter Driver
       Product Name:  AnyDVD
    Product Version:  7.4.6.1
       Company Name:  SlySoft, Inc.
          Copyright:  Copyright 2014 SlySoft, Inc.

Please forgive me if that wasn't what you wanted when you asked about the driver stack, I'm not a driver man and wouldn't really know where to get a list from of everything the calls go through.

I just know that the UDFS driver always gets that incorrect response (if it really is a response - the 'Direction' says 'OUT' in BusHound?) and ImgBurn etc. get the correct response (and the 'Direction' says 'IN' in BusHound).

Is it something to do with when you switched over to using the storport driver on Windows 7?

As you know it isn't working correctly on my machine, please feel free to contact me with any testing you'd like done. I'm sure you've got my email address somewhere - or just PM me. :)

Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.6.0 setup exe file

Exact same behavior here.... so for now 5.4.7.0 is just broken and i stick with 5.4.6.0 (which works like a charm)

I have the same problem. Where can I get Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.6.0 setup exe file?

UPDATE:
So I reverted to Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.6.0 and all is well. I can mount my ISO files again.

Last edited:
Same problem here!
Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.7.0 as well as 5.4.6.2 beta refuse to mount certain disks, in my case especially *.iso files of blu-ray back-ups.
I've attached two logfiles, one of Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.7.0 and another one of the last working version, which was 5.4.6.1 beta.
My operating system is Windows 8.1 x64.

Attachments

• AnyDVD_7.5.1.1_Info_I_Bond_50th_Anniversary_Bonus (Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.6.1 beta).ziplog
    211.7 KB · Views: 8
  • AnyDVD_7.5.1.1_Info_I_Bond_50th_Anniversary_Bonus (Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.7.0).ziplog
    211.6 KB · Views: 1
Same problem here!
Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.7.0 as well as 5.4.6.2 beta refuse to mount certain disks, in my case especially *.iso files of blu-ray back-ups.
I've attached two logfiles, one of Virtual CloneDrive 5.4.7.0 and another one of the last working version, which was 5.4.6.1 beta.
My operating system is Windows 8.1 x64.

I don't know if this is the same problem, and if not, I'll start another thread. I created an ISO of the film Rage (I know, I know). VCD allows the ISO to be mounted. ISO was created allowing use of sparse file. However the mounted image is not accessible by Windows 8 (latest). The dialog box says "Windows can't access this disc". Daemon works fine. I'd rather use VCD.

Back