• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Video choppy with iso from nas

Jim6592

First a little history: I have more than 850 movies stored on a QNAP 853 PRO (About 410 DVD’s the rest Blu-ray). I copy them on my PC harddrive and test them via Kodi before transferring them to the NAS. I saved the DVDs as MKV and most of the “main movie only” Blu-ray as ISO. The HDMI output from the nas is sent through a Geffen 8x8 HDMI switcher to either my Samsung TV or through a Denon receiver to a JVC projector. I use Kodi on the nas to manage the movies. I have only used about 60% of storage capacity so far and I only use it as a video server. I purchased both AnyDVD HD and CloneBD early this year, I visit the forum almost every day, I upgrade as each release comes out. Usually the same day.
One problem I have been seeing began several months ago with the ISO copies of the movies Elizabeth and Elizabeth the Golden Years. The actors would seem to advance several steps in fast forward every second or so. I had to convert them to MP4 to solve the problem. Recent movies that exhibited this were: 3:10 to Yuma (about 3 months ago). The Wild Bunch, Green Zone, Spy Game and The Condemned were recent purchases (this month) that exhibited this. With this last group the problem is not as noticeable. The video jumps are further apart than before, more like 2 to 3 seconds per. I had my bury drive fail a couple of weeks ago and had to replace it. The new drive is faster. Copies used to take 2 to 2.5 hours. Now it only takes about 1.1 hours to copy an ISO to harddrive. MP4s take 4.5 to 6 hours to make. The Wild Bunch, Green Zone, Spy Game and The Condemned were copied using the new drive. I have copied hundreds of Blu-ray movies this year. I have copied about 15 or 20 via the new drive. These are the only movies that had this problem.
Today I came across a review of CloneBD from Jan this year. It listed a problem the reviewer encountered with choppy video, he said, caused by a varying frame rate, thus causing the movie to be “unwatchable”. Can this be the cause of the strange ISO action??
The other problem I have had with ISO copies is that in a few movies the video will pause but the audio will continue, and then the video jumps to where the audio is and continues awhile then pauses again. The movies that did this are Expendable’s 3, Maggie, Insurgent, Dead in Tombstone and Hercules. None of these movies showed this problem on my PC. Only on the nas. All had to be converted to MP4. For most of these, I used the “flaky” ISO to make the MP4. I think all of them use seamless branching???
You are probably saying why not just use MP4, It will not give me the TrueHD audio. CloneBD will transcode and down convert the audio, plus it takes 3 to 4 times longer. Also the problem has gotten worse since I got the new faster drive.
Tell me what is needed to verify variable frame rate. I can recopy any of the movies, as I have all the original disks. I don’t burn copy disks!
Sorry for the long post!

Did you test those ISO's on the local machine before moving them to the NAS? If they work fine on the local drive then you are either getting corruption when they copy across or the NAS isn't able to keep up on playback. To eliminate a corruption issue, if you tested it locally before moving it to the NAS, then copy it back to the local drive. If that new local copy still works then it's your NAS that is having an issue.

Last edited:
Well the video jutter has happened to a new disk. Rooster Cogburn. The video advances a few frames every second or two. The audio is constant. I have copied several (60 to 65) new movies since I last had this problem. It does not show up on my copy machine only on the NAS. It has to be some sort of frame rate issue? The copy computer plays directly to a monitor, the NAS plays through the HDMI stream. I will go through the Kodi forum to try to see if I can find a way to check frame rate as a movie plays. Will report back what I find.

Might be that the bandwidth is insufficient for viewing, bd's needs a substantial bandwidth speed for smooth playback.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 5 met Tapatalk

I believe all the BD discs you mentioned use the VC-1 video codec. It could be an issue with Kodi on the QNAP with this particular codec (converting to MP4 would change the codec).

You can press 'o' on the keyboard to bring up the codec Info (and other info) in Kodi.

Check and see if they are VC-1 codec. If they are then that could be the issue -VC-1 isn't very popular hence why you don't have a problem with most movies

Don't not much about Kodi on the QNAP - Are they using their own Kodi "App"?
Might be worth posting on their support forum and see if this is a known issue.

Last edited:
The problem was with a setting in Kodi. The video was VC-1 and the frame rate was all over the p[lace. I went to system an selected (Use VC-1 VAAPI). The problem went away. I suspect all the movies I had a problem with this issue were VC-1 encoded. By going to MP4 H264 covered up the issue, even though it stopped the stutter. Glad this is at an end!!!!!

Back