VHS to DVD conversion

Discussion in 'General Hardware Issues' started by Marcial, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Marcial

Marcial Well-Known Member

I know this is an ancient, obsolete matter but I am looking some suggestions, and no better place than this forum. I have been holding 2 or 3 commercial, black-and-white videotapes from the past, waiting to be released on DVD. I got the feeling that the producers have no intention to do so, such as Republic Pictures.

What I used to do in the past was transfer the recording in real time from the VHS player (Panasonic) to a DVD recorder (Panasonic also). The result was normally less that satisfactory. But it some cases, the commercial videotape comes the owner's protection that I cannot break.

Another alternative would be a software with signal converter (from RCA yellow, white and red to USB) to transfer the signal from the VHS player to my PC, with the benefits of AnyDVD and the software to capture, edit and save the files. I saw a survey in Internet giving preference to Diamond VC500 USB 2.0 One Touch VHS to DVD Capture:

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-VC50...pID=41KVvb2b3LL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Is this the best way to do VHS to digital conversion?
    Has anyone used this specific software?

2. Jeff53404

Jeff53404 Well-Known Member

3. Marcial

Jeff, but if I am not mistaken, it says that it works from VCR to VCR, so I will have to get a second VCR and record a second videotape which would not have the copy protection, and from there the rest. Am I right?

4. Jeff53404

Sorry about that. I connect the stabilizer to the Hauppauge capture device which plugs into my computer's USB. The hauppage is also great for connecting my cable box to the computer. From there, I do any editing followed by burning.

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_usblive2.html

5. Marcial

Hi Jeff,
    What software do you recommend for capturing the video? Without that specific software the signal from the cable will not go anywhere in my PC.

6. Jeff53404

haupaugge capture comes with the software - saved in ts format

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  7. Marcial

Oh, I was missing that. Thanks a lot.