• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Verbatim BD-R or Verbatim BD-R

Humphammer

I thought I would try Verbatim BD-R being that most mods recommend them....however when searching for them on the web there must be more than 20 different manufacturer model numbers for the same 25 GB discs with varying price ranges....anyone have a particular model number that works well for them?

It depends on what you want.

1st you have the underside of the disk. There are 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 burner compatible versions (ie MID VERBATIMb = 2x, VERBATIMc = 4x and VERBATIMe 6x). Some burners can burn faster than the rated speed, so you can save a few $ by having a modern burner and a lower speed disk.

2nd you have the top of the disk. Printable and non-printable.

3rd you have the packaging. Cakebox x25 or x10, jewelcase x10, x5 or singles.

Personally I go for 20 'repacked' 4x printables on ebay direct from Japan for 48 euro posted. You can pick up x6 for 69% posted but the extra 10 mins of time I'll swap for the cash discount.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike....since these will be going in a Sony 400 disc Blu-Ray changer no real need for cases, nor do they need to be printable, so I can save some $$$....in my experience with regular dvds slower burn speed makes more reliable copies as well....thanks again.

1st you have the underside of the disk. There are 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 burner compatible versions (ie MID VERBATIMb = 2x, VERBATIMc = 4x and VERBATIMe 6x). Some burners can burn faster than the rated speed, so you can save a few $ by having a modern burner and a lower speed disk.

Personally I go for 20 'repacked' 4x printables on ebay direct from Japan for 48 euro posted. You can pick up x6 for 69% posted but the extra 10 mins of time I'll swap for the cash discount.

I bought some of these repacks and found them to be pitted on the underside and failed on burning

I bought some of these repacks and found them to be pitted on the underside and failed on burning

Yeah. Made this experience, too - with the repacks from the japanese dealers on ebay.

The reason seems to be, that the plastic envelopes are damaging the surface during stocking and transport.

A help is to activate the BD-error management during toasting them. It works fine in most of the cases, however you are loosing speed.

The better option is to order "factory sealed" ones. At the end of the day it pays off.

Greets
GorillaBD

I've only ever got mine delivered in paper sleeves, wrapped in plastic foil to prevent dust and then in a sealed plastic bag. Perhaps the plastic sleeves was an older practice?

Mine are in paper sleeves, but it's a manufacturing error as every one has the same pitting marks in the same place. I've contacted the seller and they are prepared to send me 5 of a different brand if I pay for the carriage. Mine are DL. for SL I tend to just buy Pidata as I can get those for under £1 each before tax as we buy them in in bulk.

Hm.

I got mine from jp-stop, who deliver still in plastic sleeves, if I don't expressively ask for paper sleeves. Last shipment was 2 weeks ago.

With the plastic sleeves, which have on the inner side the rough surface with a wafers pattern, I found this pattern imprinted to some areas of the disc. In addition in some sleeves were some small (3x3 mms) plastic chips (maybe some scrap from the sleeves production), which damaged the surface.

Both can not happen with paper sleeves, maybe they are just changing the way of repacking.

But if there comes a systematic manufacturing error on top, of course the sleeve is not the only issue. That would mean they sell 2nd or 3rd choice discs as "carefully repacked".

By the way, I got excellent results with Sony 4x DL blanks. As "factory sealed" item they can be burned with 10x speed by my Plextor 940. Sony 6x SL is currently the only one, which is certified by Plextor for 12x writing speed.

So Sony maybe an option to Verbatim.

Greets
GorillaBD

Last edited:
There seem to be 3 sellers uniqjapan, japan-st and jp-stop. As their layouts are very similar I wondered was it the same person/group of people behind the offer. Perhaps jp-stop should be avoided?

Maybe you're right. When I buy from jp-stop and pay via Paypal, the receiver of the payment is uniqjapan, however the seller was jp-stop.

So there seems to be a link at least between these both.

My current strategy is to buy from jp-stop only instead of shop-hopping. After some buys now they take my feedbacks and wishes serious.

To be fair I would not say, they should be avioded. Their reliability is high, the delivery times are always short and the communication is VERY fast and friendly. The quality of "factory sealed" items is free of my doubts. I buy only BD-R/DL and BD-RE/DL from them.

Only the repacked items seem to be a game of luck. With minor affected discs the BD-error management helps.

At the end of the day it is now my own decision, if I want to take a risk to save some money - or spend some more for "factory sealed" discs.

Greets
GorillaBD

1st time I will try to Burn a Bluray movie

I have never burned a BD movie. Do I need to use dual layer blank disc or will single layer work? I just want to record the movie and not BD Live.

Any thing I need to know; tips?

Thanks - Hino

I have never burned a BD movie. Do I need to use dual layer blank disc or will single layer work? I just want to record the movie and not BD Live.

Any thing I need to know; tips?

Thanks - Hino

It depends on how big the movie is and if you compress it or not, I have backed up several on BD-R 25 which are single layer, and I can tell zero difference between the back up and the original in picture quality or sound quality ....there are several good threads on this and other forums as well you just gotta sift through em.

I had a Verbatim BD-RE that received a deep indentation from the case after transit. The data was not retrievable beyond the point of damage.

Thinking it was now ruined, I came across some information that suggested heating the hardcoat to a high temperature resulted in it flowing and "healing" minor damage. I held the disc above the hot air column on a gas stove for a while and miraculously it worked: data now fully retrievable and the indentation gone.

Not sure if the hardcoats are the same on all discs, but it's worth a try if there is minor surface damage from transport: noting to lose if the disc is already ruined.

Probably best to use a hair dryer though: the stove was a quick and dirty solution.

I've noticed that printable cost is lower than non printable... Any quality difference?

Just comparing verbatim 4x (non-LTH)

from nierle (mediacode VERBATIMc):

non printable:
http://www.nierle.com/en/article/67..._BD-R_25_GB,_4x_Speed_in_Cakebox_10-pack.html

printable:
http://www.nierle.com/en/article/87...ed_fullprintable_NO_IDin_Cakebox_25-pack.html

from cdrohlinge24.de:

non printable:
http://www.cdrohlinge24.de/verbatimbluraybdr25gb4x10pcsincakebox-p-27162.html

printable:
http://www.cdrohlinge24.de/verbatimbluraybdr25gbfullprintable4x25pcsincakebox-p-37297.html

There seem to be 3 sellers uniqjapan, japan-st and jp-stop. As their layouts are very similar I wondered was it the same person/group of people behind the offer. Perhaps jp-stop should be avoided?

Your right they are all the same company (which I don't understand Ebay allowing that, try and open two accounts in your name on Ebay). The names are actually J-Stop, U-Japan, and Japan-st. I have ordered from all three because they roll over sales from one listing to the next and always looking for deals. The return address on each package is the same. Believe it or not, when surfing they seem to have the best deals, although their repacking could be better. If anyone knows of better pricing for 50GB printable disc, LMK.

Back