• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VCD won't work with Windows 8 CP x64

Well i was talking about VCR. This thread is not about daemon tools, nor is it a slysoft product. Which means that I'm right. With vcd there currently is no way to mount networked isos on w8

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

Well i was talking about VCR. This thread is not about daemon tools, nor is it a slysoft product. Which means that I'm right. With vcd there currently is no way to mount networked isos on w8

Verstuurd van mijn HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Z715e met Tapatalk

It's been made very clear in this thread that VCD is not a Slysoft product either which is why it isn't supported by Slysoft (or by Elby who do not reply to support requests on this product).

You were saying it wasn't possible to stream ISOs from a NAS on windows 8, without making it clear you were talking about VCD only.

I am just saying that as as far as non Slysoft products are concerned, VCD doesn't allow to stream ISOs from a NAS on Windows 8 but Daemon Tools works fine.

Last edited:
well since this thread title is "VCD won't work with Windows 8 CP x64", it's pretty logical i was talking about VCD and not another iso mounting tool

well since this thread title is "VCD won't work with Windows 8 CP x64", it's pretty logical i was talking about VCD and not another iso mounting tool

There isn't much logic in your replies anyway, as you mention DT not being a Slysoft product as a reason for not mentioning it, when VCD isn't one either:p.

This is not about being right or wrong, who cares about that:)?

It is about a user saying they have a problem, and you replying it is not possible to do what they are trying to achieve, without letting them know that there is a perfectly working alternative until VCD gets fixed, supposing that ever happens.

Your answer was both unhelpful and incorrect, and the only reason why I rectified.

Can we let this go now?

Daemon tools does not work like VCD

I just tried daemon tools and it does not work like VCD. It will not mount an image from mymovies and cyberlink powerdvd as VCD. So the problem for me is not fixed

I'm having the same issue. VCD crashes Windows 8 Pro x64 when mounting a remote .iso file from my NAS. :( I also can confirm that DT Lite works fine, but would still like VCD to work with W8x64 mounting NAS .iso files.

I sure hope someone at Slysoft can convince Elaborate Bytes to hand over their freeware VCD or make it open source so this can eventually get resolved. Windows 8 use will eventually become more widespread as builders ship new h/w with it installed.

If Slysoft does nothing else, you should at least update your download page for VCD. It says that it supports Win 8 Pro 64 and doesn't fully as it does with Windows 7 and Vista 64.

Add me to the list... I cannot mount an ISO image from my NAS or from my server's shared folders.

Downgrading VCD to 5.4.4.0 makes ISO mounting over NAS working again. At least for Dvd ISO, have not try bluray ISO.

Bluray support only works properly with the latest VCD unfortunately, that was one of the main improvements it brought.

weirdness

Just for kicks, I purposefully tried to mount an ISO file on my NAS today... I updated AnyDVD to 7.1.2.0 and thought I'd give it a BSOD (I needed to reboot anyway) - and to my surprise - it mounted!

Did 7.1.2.0 fix the glitch, or was there some windows update released that fixed the BSOD? I'm so happy to have VCD fully functional for me again!

And what happens if you exit out of AnyDVD and the try to mount a Blu-ray ISO?

I have the same problem but with 32bit Windows 8. Buffered IO doesn't help nor does AnyDVD being installed have any affect apart from delaying the blue screen while it asks for the region of the disc. I copied an iso to a local drive which works. Back to 7 for me.

Or you could use Daemon tools to mount in Win 8

Ok guys. I was having the same problem. I don’t know why but the followiing worked for me.

Background:

Win 8 pro with media center installed running in a Virtual machine for testing.
.iso files hosted on my Windows Home server 2011 machine.
Like many of you, I installed VCD and tried to play an .iso file (form my server drive) via Media Center and my MyMovies library and got the blue screen and reboot. This messed up VCD so bad that after the reboot my VCD was not listed with the other drives in “my computer” and I could not run the VCD settings.

How I got it working (purely by accident):

1. Uninstalled the corrupt version of VCD and rebooted.
2. Re-installed VCD.
3. Copied an .iso file to the desktop to see if I could duplicate the results posted here.
4. Manually mounted the local .iso from desktop. Using File manager > right click on my VCD drive > Clicked mount .iso image. I played the mounted file with WMC using the play DVD function and it worked fine.
5. Stopped the playback and “Ejected” the Disc in WMC.
6. At this point I decided to try and manually mount an .iso from my server. Again using File manager > right click on my VCD drive > Clicked mount image > navigated to \\myserver\movies\***.iso and to my surprise it mounted. :rock:
7. I verified that this mount would play in WMC.

Form this point on I have been able to play DVD.iso files stored on my server using MyMovies in WMC.

I tried playing a blu-ray .iso but PowerDVD12 was complaining about running in a virtual machine. It did however mount the BR image So I am guessing it will work if I try it on a hardware install vs a virtual machine.

Something about manually mounting the first .iso file from a local drive must have set a flag or something in the Windows 8 registry that now allows me to mount remote .iso files.

I hope this wasn’t a fluke and I hope it works for the rest of you.

Good luck!

Pat.

Edit: This worked using a local user name. I then created a user for my Live ID and have not been able to get it work under that ID.

Edit2: Both IDs now working. I forgot ot unmount the image while loggen into the loak ID before trying to mount one using the Live ID.

Last edited:
Windows Home server has been confirmed to work a while ago, problably because MS handles Samba differently.
The problem with VCD is when streaming bluray ISOs from a NAS with SMB. As there is no NFS support in Windows 8 (one of the reasons why I decided to stick to Win7 in the end) I couldn't try to force NFS to see if it made a difference.
You can't play blurays in a VM (ISOs or not) because of the HDCP protection with TMT or PowerDVD, you have to use other players which do not comply with this.
This is true in Win7 and in Win8.
Daemon Tools still the only solution with Win8 for streaming blurays from a NAS as far as I know. For this reason, MyMovies is now handling it natively just as well as it handles VCD with Windows 7. The free (lite) version works fine, so unless you are emotionally attached to VCD, it doesn't make any difference.
I never heard back from Elby, and I don't think Slysoft can do something about the problem, apart from getting Elby to fix it, which is obviously not happening.
In the end Win8 never made it past my VM and a test machine, I stuck with Windows 7 and VCD on all my production PCs, as I prefer both:).
Aero, NFS support and the imaging backup tools from Win7 Ultimate are not something I'm ready to trade for a goofy interface (on a desktop) that I had to suppress with third party tools and a better file copy, about the only differences I could see in Windows 8.
Boot up time irrelevant as my HTPC wakes up instantly from sleep.
Not meaning to start a flame war about windows 8, totally respect users who like it, just explaining my personal choice and final decision for a desktop HTPC.

Last edited:
Back