• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VCD won't work with Windows 8 CP x64

I still only make it 3 as neither of those 2 you linked to were saying it didn't work, they were asking if it would work, that's a completely different thing

I still only make it 3 as neither of those 2 you linked to were saying it didn't work, they were asking if it would work, that's a completely different thing

Sure, depending on our bias there are many ways to read the following:

Hi everyone. just a quick question to ask if VCD will support Windows 8 x64 and Server 2012 x64 any time in the future? Thanks

This program, I know could mount blu-rays in windows 7. I am trying to set media center up to seamlessly play blu-rays, but have not yet been able to figure how to accomplish... yet.

You believe these people were just happy or clueless users wasting their time, I believe it is possible they were trying to get the product to work, didn't get any help here and found better things to do.

I agree both alternatives are possible, which is why I said POTENTIALLY.

Anyway, I'm off until James shows any interest in looking into crash reports or finding some common link between the problematic installs.

We regularly get people asking if something will work rather than just trying it out for themselves. Neither of them say they are using it and it fails, one is asking if it will be supported, and the other doesn't say he's using it and it crashes, rather that he's trying to set up media centre and he doesn't know how to do it, again 2 completely different things to saying they are using it and it's crashing.

We regularly get people asking if something will work rather than just trying it out for themselves. Neither of them say they are using it and it fails, one is asking if it will be supported, and the other doesn't say he's using it and it crashes, rather that he's trying to set up media centre and he doesn't know how to do it, again 2 completely different things to saying they are using it and it's crashing.

:bowdown:

Let's move on.

I've had Windows 7 Pro SP1 installed for a couple of years now, and I haven't had any problems with VCD, and I have more than a bare bones system, and I have other software installed. Look at what you have installed on your Windows 7 and/or 8. I'm willing to bet that it's something that you unknowning installed and it's conflicting with VCD. It could also be something that you have connected to your computer or have a piece of hardware that is in your computer conflicting with VCD, or it could be a combination of both. Even when you get the "Blue Screen", something is conflicting and/or something is corrupting the OS. Like it was mentioned earlier in this forum, if it's Windows 7 or 8, allot of people would be reporting it in.

If you really insist on figuring things out, I would suggest that you disconnect everything from your computer and taking out all the cards in the computer, except what is needed to run the computer. Then just install Windows 7/8 on that bare bones computer. Then install ONLY VCD and see if that works. If it does, then you know that you have a problem, and it's not VCD. If it still crashes, then you have a problem somewhere else, like something that isn't configured correctly with your computer, possibly even with your BIOS.

If you have Windows 8 BETA or Consumer PreRelease, remember it COULD be something is wrong with Windows 8 BETA or Consumer PreRelease. Remember that it's not the FULL release of Windows 8. Microsoft is not going to give you a fully functioning Windows 8 OS for FREE! Nothing in live, worth having, is free in life.

Personally, I will wait, for some time, before I even consider looking into Windows 8, when it's first released because I want to see what problems other people are having with Windows 8 first. If anything, I might get it after the first service pack is released. I use to be the first person to get the new Windows when Microsoft releases it, but I've learned buy my mistakes. Newer doesn't always mean better. 8)

If you're referring to Manni then he's using the RTM version which is pretty much the final release. Microsoft do let you use a fully working version of the OS, it's just limited on how long you can use it for.

Hi All

Just wanted to post an update as I was perusing the other topics to see what could potentially be the cause of my blue screens. I saw that it also causes blue screens on windows 7 boxes if used across a network share as opposed to the local file system.

My windows 7 box is connected via 1.0gbs wired, while my media box is theoretically connected 300mbs wireless.

I copied over the iso to a local disk, mounted with VCD and it worked perfectly fine. VCD successfully mounted with no blue screen.

I did however also test the other gentlemen's suggestion to use daemontools and that did mount successfully even over wifi.

So I hope that information helps, I see that this seems to be a red button with some people so I don't want to cause anymore irritations. Perhaps someone could point me out to where I could pass this information along to assist in improving the product going forward.

Cheers!

Ah I found the Elaborate Bytes technical support email and provided them the details.

Hopefully this will help resolve the issue.

The only problem now is that wifi stutters with the 5MB/s ... sadly even on a "300Mb/s" connection.

In a Manhattan apartment it's impossible to find an unused channel :( Now just got to tweak the network speeds

Now that you narrowed down the problem I can repeat it here, it only does it when trying to connect to an ISO on my work NAS box. Doesn't do it if you use the ISO locally or if the ISO is stored on another Windows PC on the network.

Ah I found the Elaborate Bytes technical support email and provided them the details.

Hopefully this will help resolve the issue.

The only problem now is that wifi stutters with the 5MB/s ... sadly even on a "300Mb/s" connection.

In a Manhattan apartment it's impossible to find an unused channel :( Now just got to tweak the network speeds

Do you have buffered io enabled in vcd prefs?

I didn't try it with wifi because it's so unreliable, and I tried it with buffered I/O and it still crashes immediately when mounting from the NAS

I didn't try it with wifi because it's so unreliable, and I tried it with buffered I/O and it still crashes immediately when mounting from the NAS

Do you have a dump from this crash?

I can try it again when I get into work in a couple of hours and see if it'll create a dump. You want a full size windows dump or the 256K one?

Here's the mindump

Attachments

• 091412-17171-01.rar
    27.2 KB · Views: 7
The only thing I can say is it happens exactly like Manni describes on a clean install of Win8 Prof german.
Tried everything but won't work.

You need to explain in what way it doesn't work for you. What exactly are you doing? Is the ISO on a local drive or on a NAS? Manni has not come back to say whether it's only on ISO's on a NAS that causes the issue, but so far we've confirmed the bluescreen only seems to happen for others when trying to access an ISO off a NAS drive.

Last edited:
You need to explain in what way it doesn't work for you. What exactly are you doing? Is the ISO on a local drive or on a NAS? Manni has not come back to say whether it's only on ISO's on a NAS that causes the issue, but so far we've confirmed the bluescreen only seems to happen for others when trying to access an ISO off a NAS drive.

I haven't come back because no one is taking this issue seriously here and I have better things to do. I have already given all the info in the many posts that you have dismissed or ignored, and in my initial report I did specify that I was streaming BD ISOs from my NAS:

I have installed the latest VCD. Double clicked on a BD ISO (from a NAS share on my Qnap TS859). Win8 asks me what I want to do with it. I select mount ISO with VCD. It immediately hangs windows and reboots.

You took the latest report as if it was new info, but it's only because you were not paying attention before I'm afraid.

If at some point James takes this seriously and wants to debug this properly, I'll come back, but I assume it will take many more reports before that happens (if it ever does).

I never received any reply from Elby software, so it looks like they don't care either.

Last edited:
I was paying attention, but as I originally asked you if it did the same thing from a local ISO and you ignored my question how were we then to proceed? If you'd answered my question back then then we'd have been able to find the root of the problem sooner instead of waiting for someone else to narrow it down as I don't have access to a NAS drive myself except at work.

As to it not being taken seriously, once we narrowed it down to being a reproducible NAS issues James asked me to upload a Win 8 minidump so he could either take a look or forward it

Last edited:
I was paying attention, but as I originally asked you if it did the same thing from a local ISO and you ignored my question how were we then to proceed? If you'd answered my question back then then we'd have been able to find the root of the problem sooner instead of waiting for someone else to narrow it down as I don't have access to a NAS drive myself except at work.

As to it not being taken seriously, once we narrowed it down to being a reproducible NAS issues James asked me to upload a Win 8 minidump so he could either take a look or forward it

Yes, and you also said:

Just tried VCD on Win 8 Pro x64 RTM on both my laptop and desktop, no issues with mounted Blu-rays playing back using PDVD 12. I could try it on more systems, but don't see the point. I suspect it's going to be something specific to your build/installed software. Did you try copying an ISO to your local drive as it may be a networking issue

Which in my books doesn't suggest a huge desire to reproduce the issue on a different system.

I didn't ignore your question, I replied immediately:

Everything works - surprisingly - well in Win8, except VCD. Of course I can access/copy the BD ISO files, I wouldn't be bothering you with this otherwise.
They all play fine with DT/TMT/PDVD. They just won't even mount with VCD.

As for a win 8 mini-dump, I offered one to James ages ago. If he asks for one, I'll be happy to provide one (or even two as the issue is there on both my native win 8 install and in a VM).

In the meantime, I'm off.

Last edited:
Back