• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VCD won't work with Windows 8 CP x64

rockytt

Hi - installed the windows 8 CP x64 yesterday and everything seems to be working fine(ish) - except that I can't mount ISOs with VCD. Whenever I try I get a "disc cannot be mounted" error message. Any thoughts/tips?
(Other than the "it's only a preview so don't expect everything to work" tip :))

Hi - installed the windows 8 CP x64 yesterday and everything seems to be working fine(ish) - except that I can't mount ISOs with VCD. Whenever I try I get a "disc cannot be mounted" error message. Any thoughts/tips?
(Other than the "it's only a preview so don't expect everything to work" tip :))

I know this won't help much, but it works just fine for me.
Make sure, that you have correct access rights for your .iso. The new "email" login in Windows 8 is .... tricky.

Thanks for the help James - not really sure what you mean about "correct access rights for your ISO" -
And to clarify, the message is "error:can't open VCD"

I hate to mention it, but Daemon works just fine - at least as well as it does anyway. Would far rather use VCD...

Last edited:
Windows 8 Support

Hi everyone. just a quick question to ask if VCD will support Windows 8 x64 and Server 2012 x64 any time in the future? Thanks

If VCD wasn't supported in Win 8 there would have been LOTS of complaints shortly after Win 8 was released.

Perhaps not. Windows 8 supports native mounting of ISO.

Native support doesn't answer the question: Does VCD work with Win 8? If people tried to install VCD on Win 8 and it didn't work, you think there wouldn't be complaints about the lack of compatibility? If I tried to install software that worked on older versions of Windows that suddenly "broke" on Win 8 I sure wouldn't be shy about complaining, regardless of native support.

Win 8 has been in preview status for quite some time now. I would bet someone has installed VCD during that time and been testing it. Quite a number of people, more than likely. Look at how quickly people "complain" about AnyDVD not properly decrypting a DVD/Bluray release when a new protection scheme shows up.

VCD doesn't seem to work in Win8 x64 RTM. It freezes or fails.
Native ISO support doesn't help as Win8 mounts bluray ISOs, you can access the content in Explorer, but the disks (even unprotected ones) are not playable by TMT or PDVD.

Does Slysoft plan to do some testing and release a win 8 version?

Does someone know how to disable the native ISO support in Win8 RTM?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help James - not really sure what you mean about "correct access rights for your ISO" -
And to clarify, the message is "error:can't open VCD"

I hate to mention it, but Daemon works just fine - at least as well as it does anyway. Would far rather use VCD...

As reported in another thread (http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=54011), it doesn't work for me either in RTM Pro x64. I don't use the email login for rights reasons, and I get the same error message as the OP. I tried reinstalling VCD (I did an upgrade to Win8 RTM) and now VCD freezes (hangs Win8, restart needed) when I mount an ISO. Native support doesn't help as discs can't be played by TMT or PDVD.

Last edited:
I have done more tests and can confirm that Daemon Tools (which has beta support for Windows 8 ) works fine in Win8 Pro RTM.

Even after a complete uninstall/reinstall of VCD (as advised by Windows in the Action Centre), VCD gave the error "disc cannot be mounted".

James, please could you confirm that you plan to update/fix Virtual Clone Drive so that it works with Windows 8? I too much prefer VCD to DT.

Last edited:
James, please could you confirm that you plan to update/fix Virtual Clone Drive so that it works with Windows 8? I too much prefer VCD to DT.

VCD is intellectual property of Elaborate Bytes (look at the info tab on the VCD settings dialog box), not Slysoft. Elby would need to be notified of any problems with the current version so THEY can fix it. Slysoft can (and likely does) pass on any reported problems, but contacting Elby directly would probably get a quicker response.

The last update to VCD was back in March 2011, so Win 8 compliance is not built in.

VCD is intellectual property of Elaborate Bytes (look at the info tab on the VCD settings dialog box), not Slysoft. Elby would need to be notified of any problems with the current version so THEY can fix it. Slysoft can (and likely does) pass on any reported problems, but contacting Elby directly would probably get a quicker response.

The last update to VCD was back in March 2011, so Win 8 compliance is not built in.

Thanks, I am aware that the last build of VCD is old, which is why I am requesting an update:). I'll try to contact EB.

Last edited:
Thanks, I am aware that the last build of VCD is old, which is why I am requesting an update:). I'll try to contact EB.

Don't contact them.

I just tried VCD on Windows 8 x64 RTM. Not a single problem. You might want to set "buffered i/o" to enabled in VCDprefs.

EDIT: BTW, VCD is on Microsoft's Windows 8 compatibility list, so I assume I am not the only one, where it works just fine. ;)

Hello James,

Thanks for this. I'm really happy that VCD works on your PC, but unfortunately that doesn't really help with my situation (and aparently at least another user:)). I have already emailed EB and am curious so see if they'll reply and what it will be.

I have uninstalled DT and their STPD layer from my test laptop (a Sony Z2, on which VCD used to work perfectly on Win7x64).

I have installed the latest VCD. Double clicked on a BD ISO (from a NAS share on my Qnap TS859). Win8 asks me what I want to do with it. I select mount ISO with VCD. It immediately hangs windows and reboots.

After reboot, MS asked me to send a report, which I did. I tried to change the options to enable buffered i/o. I couldn't even access the options or launch the software.

I had to uninstall it, re-install it. Enabled buffered I/O. Tried mounting a BD ISO again. It froze exactly the same and rebooted.

That's the only software I've tested under win 8 which is that extremely incompatible. So it should definitely be taken OUT of MS list of compatible apps asap, it's obviously a mistake;).

I'm going to try VCD in my Win8 VM under parallels to see if it performs as poorly or if it works better.

I'm happy to give more details (for example email you the minidump files from the MS report if you think it could help) if you are ready to consider the possibility that you might just be lucky with your setup:D.

I have no idea what the proportion is and who is the exception here, but it might be beneficial to resolve this before Win8 is widely released:).

Last edited:
Just tried VCD on Win 8 Pro x64 RTM on both my laptop and desktop, no issues with mounted Blu-rays playing back using PDVD 12. I could try it on more systems, but don't see the point. I suspect it's going to be something specific to your build/installed software. Did you try copying an ISO to your local drive as it may be a networking issue

I really don't understand your logic, so I give up:).

VCD works fine on same laptop with Win7 x64
AND
DT works fine on same laptop with Win8 x64
AND
No other app crashes Win8 like VCD does
BUT
you're telling me it's either my config or a network issue and that it's not VCD or Win8 related?

Doesn't make any sense to me:disagree:.

Everything works - surprisingly - well in Win8, except VCD. Of course I can access/copy the BD ISO files, I wouldn't be bothering you with this otherwise.
They all play fine with DT/TMT/PDVD. They just won't even mount with VCD.

I just hope you're right and the two users including me who reported this will be the only ones suffering from this and that you won't get a flood of unhappy users when they upgrade to Win8. The fact that MS stupidly didn't make MCE available to MSDN/Technet subscribers in advance to the public release really doesn't help to detect HTPC specific issues.

I won't try Win8 on my production HTPC as MCE is not yet available, and I can't install it on my production Macbook pro until Apple releases bootcamp drivers.

I might install it on another laptop if my wife doesn't hate it, and will report if it fails there as well.

In the meantime, I'll go back to Daemon Tools on that laptop:doh:.

Last edited:
You mean the logic of testing it on multiple systems using different hardware and not having any problems with it, which would imply something to do with your system setup, you can't compare the fact that it worked on the same system under Win 7 as you may have different drivers or software versions on your particular system under Windows 8. I never said it wasn't a problem with Win 8 and VCD, but it's not a general problem otherwise we'd have seen a lot more than 2 people having issues. I've now tested it on a 2011pin dual Xeon system, a 2011pin system, a z77 chipset, a z68 chipset and a z77 laptop, none of which have any crashing issues

No, I mean the logic of another app working perfectly well on the same PC on Win8 with the same drivers (apart from the STPD layer with a specific beta support for Windows 8 added by DT) and VCD failing miserably.

Anyway, thank you for taking the time to test VCD on all these platforms, I understand your point of view. Again I hope you're right and the cases reported here are isolated, set up specific ones.

I don't plan to use this specific laptop as an HTPC, so using DT will be fine. If it's isolated, I couldn't care less. It's only a test/backup machine for me.

I'll post here if I get a chance to test on other PCs, and I'll report my findings.

But how do you know VCD and DT use the same drivers, they are written by 2 different companies so I would expect their virtual driver to be different

But how do you know VCD and DT use the same drivers, they are written by 2 different companies so I would expect their virtual driver to be different

They are. Very different.

Back