• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VCD not working but able to mount image, try this! (Win7)

omegavolpe

WARNING: Tampering with registry settings could hinder your computer inoperable, I do not take any responsibility for any damages the following instructions may cause. I have tested the following instructions on 4 machines and have been 100% successful; every Registry is unique and may not have the same issues. Please proceed with extreem caution.

After many hours of digging and comparing I finally found why VCD stops working. Here are the symptoms:

• VCD installs correctly (version is irrelevant)
  • Elby driver is installed and granted "Trusted" status
  • You are able to mount an image
  • When you try to access the drive you get this error:

Windows Can't access this disc

The disc might be corrupt. Make sure that the disc uses a
format that windows recognizes. If the disc is unformatted,
you need to format it before using it.

error.png

Resolve:

This is a registry issue that is caused by either a registry cleaner or if you cleaned your machine with some sort of antivirus or antimalware. Recently there has been an increase of rootkit attacks that have used CDFS and UDFS files systems to gain access and after cleaning the infection these registry entries get removed (not a VCD issue at all, the software is working, the operating system is messed up). In order to fix this you need to add these entries back in and reboot.

Step 1
Add the CDFS and UDFS services back in

open notepad and copy this into it and save as VCDServicesFix.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\cdfs]
"DisplayName"="CD/DVD File System Reader"
"Group"="Boot File System"
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,63,00,64,00,66,00,73,00,2e,00,73,\
"Description"="ISO9660/Joliet File System Reader for CD/DVDs. (Core) (All pieces)"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000004
"Type"=dword:00000002
"DependOnGroup"=hex(7):53,00,43,00,53,00,49,00,20,00,43,00,44,00,52,00,4f,00,\
4d,00,20,00,43,00,6c,00,61,00,73,00,73,00,00,00,00,00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\cdfs\Enum]
"0"="Root\\LEGACY_CDFS\\0000"
"Count"=dword:00000001
"NextInstance"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\udfs]
"DisplayName"="udfs"
"Group"="Boot File System"
"ImagePath"=hex(2):73,00,79,00,73,00,74,00,65,00,6d,00,33,00,32,00,5c,00,44,00,\
52,00,49,00,56,00,45,00,52,00,53,00,5c,00,75,00,64,00,66,00,73,00,2e,00,73,\
"Description"="Reads/Writes UDF 1.02,1.5,2.0x,2.5 disc formats, usually found on C/DVD discs. (Core) (All pieces)"
"ErrorControl"=dword:00000001
"Start"=dword:00000004
"Type"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\udfs\Enum]
"0"="Root\\LEGACY_UDFS\\0000"
"Count"=dword:00000001

Step 2
Add Legacy driver entries back in
open notepad and copy this into it and save as VCD_LegacyFix.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CDFS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_CDFS\0000]
"Service"="cdfs"
"Legacy"=dword:00000001
"ConfigFlags"=dword:00000000
"Class"="LegacyDriver"
"ClassGUID"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"
"DeviceDesc"="CD/DVD File System Reader"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_UDFS]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_UDFS\0000]
"Service"="udfs"
"Legacy"=dword:00000001
"ConfigFlags"=dword:00000000
"Class"="LegacyDriver"
"ClassGUID"="{8ECC055D-047F-11D1-A537-0000F8753ED1}"
"DeviceDesc"="udfs"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_UDFS\0000\Control]
"ActiveService"="udfs"

Step 3
Merge VCDServiceFix.reg files as administrator (right click on the reg file and Merge)
*Note: the reg file VCD_LegacyFix.reg will give you an error, you need to take ownership of the "Root" reg key in order to merge

Step 4
Getting ownership of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root registry key
Open regedit
Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum, right click on "Root" and select Permissions
On the Permissions for Root window click Advanced
On the Advanced Security Settings for Root windows click on the Owner tab and choose "Administrators" in Change Owner to: abd
Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
Click on Permissions tab and click Add button
On the Select User or Group type in administrators and click OK
On the Permission for Entry for Root check Full Control under the Allow column
Check the box Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only then click OK
Click Apply
On the Windows Security window select Yes
NOTE: At this point you will get a Windows Security Error that you cannot save permission changes on root, just ignore it for now.
Click OK again and Select No on the Windows Security window
You should get a window called Owner that pops up that states "Registry Editor could not set owner on the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys", ignore this as well.
Final step: on the Permissions for Root window, select OWNER RIGHTS and click Full Control and click OK (settings should now stick)
Merge VCD_LegacyFix.reg (Should now merge without error)
Reboot and try mounting an image, everything should now work again.

*Important Note: The above registry keys rely on CDFS.sys and UDFS.sys located in C:\Windows\System32\Drivers, double check that these two drivers exist in that

I have attached the reg files and Windows 7 drivers for your convenience.
location.View attachment VCDFix.zip

Hope this helps, good luck!

Omegavolpe

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Step 4
Getting ownership of [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root registry key
Open regedit
Go to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum, right click on "Root" and select Permissions
On the Permissions for Root window click Advanced
On the Advanced Security Settings for Root windows click on the Owner tab and choose "Administrators" in Change Owner to: abd
Check Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
Click on Permissions tab and click Add button
On the Select User or Group type in administrators and click OK
On the Permission for Entry for Root check Full Control under the Allow column
Check the box Apply these permissions to objects and/or containers within this container only then click OK
Click Apply
On the Windows Security window select Yes
NOTE: At this point you will get a Windows Security Error that you cannot save permission changes on root, just ignore it for now.
Click OK again and Select No on the Windows Security window
You should get a window called Owner that pops up that states "Registry Editor could not set owner on the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys", ignore this as well.
Final step: on the Permissions for Root window, select OWNER RIGHTS and click Full Control and click OK (settings should now stick)
Merge VCD_LegacyFix.reg (Should now merge without error)
Reboot and try mounting an image, everything should now work again.

Omegavolpe[/QUOTE]

After clicking apply, I don't see Windows Security window at all. All I got is the popup window saying "Unable to save permission changes on Root. Access is denied."

Any idea on how to fix this?

After clicking apply, I don't see Windows Security window at all. All I got is the popup window saying "Unable to save permission changes on Root. Access is denied."

Any idea on how to fix this?
You shouldn't do this fix. What problem do you have with VCD?

I got popup error window saying "Windows can't access this disc. This disc might be corrupt..." But I'm sure the iso is fine. I have mount this iso before and it worked. But all of a sudden, I'm getting this error msg.

I managed to get both reg files merged. But I'm still getting this "Windows can't access this disc" popup.

Any idea?

Update : DVDFab Virtual Drive works.

Last edited:
Back