• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

VC-1 codec for Blu-Ray

Derek1965

Hello All,
I am new to this forum, so please be gentle. :)
I am having some trouble with Blu-Ray .ISO images I have created from AnyDVDHD v7.0.4.0.
It appears that these images are saved in the VC-1 codec.
This is fine, apart from the fact that my WDTV Live Streaming media player does not support this codec (the previous model did).
Has anybody any ideas on a way to create .ISO images in AnyDVDHD in another format?
I have tried to attach an AnyDVD Log File as an example of one of my Blu-Rays - this is for "I Am Legend" - purchased in Australia. I was not successful attaching on my Mac, so I will try on my Windows machine later.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Derek

It's the standard

Read about that here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC-1

SMPTE 421M, informally known as VC-1, which was initially developed as a proprietary video format by Microsoft, was released as a SMPTE video codec standard on April 3, 2006.

It is today a supported standard found in Blu-ray Discs, Windows Media, Microsoft's Silverlight framework, Slingbox, etc.

and your device here

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers...s-for-all-wd-tv-and-wd-elements-play-products

and then dance back to the store where you got that and ask how they can sell a device not supporting a world-standard codec.

Last edited:
Hi Frank,
Thanks very much for your speedy reply!
I had a look at the link that you supplied, and I have to admit that I don't understand a lot of what is being said.
I also should apologise. In my post, I was not trying to offend anyone at Slysoft - I love this application!
My only intention was to find out if anybody in the Slysoft community had a workaround for the limitations of my media player.
Having said this - Frank, can you please dumb things down a little bit for me? Is the link you sent me to telling me that there is another format that I can use? Or are you showing me that this is the standard, and I should be speaking again to Western Digital about including support for this format?
I apologise for being so illiterate about this subject.
Again, any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Derek

Hi again Frank,

Thanks very much for your advice.

I have been in contact with WD, and they have not been very helpful unfortunately.

Perhaps I will just continue to use my older version WDTV, which supports the VC-1 codec!

Thanks again.

Regards,

Derek

Your other option would be to re-encode it into h264, BDRebuilder will do this, and also allow you to shrink the disc down

It is as it is

Hi Frank,
Or are you showing me that this is the standard, and I should be speaking again to Western Digital about including support for this format?

Ask a question any time you need to. As I said, that is the industry standard codec for this stuff and if WD stopped supporting it they must have a good reason. Ask them what the alternative is or if they are simply dropping playing BD ISOs. If they want to shoot themselves in the foot then they should be able to put that in writing.

Take Adbear's suggestion as an alternative and you can go that way too.

An interesting move. Admittedly, I see very few discs (and none released recently) that use VC-1 encoding. I believe I only own a single Blu-Ray with VC-1; that being the 5-disc edition of Blade Runner. It seems that H.264 has become the de facto standard for Blu-Ray, along with just about everything else (I can't say I'm not happy with this, because I've always preferred H.264 to VC-1). But since VC-1, and even the archaic MPEG-2, are included in the Blu-Ray standard, media players really should continue supporting both.

Back