• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Vacancy and The lookout

OldJoe,

I hope you didn't take offense to my post. Before I posted I was aware of your Nero CD/DVD speed scan results that indicated a bad disc. There are many who back up the main movie only, I just wanted to state my progress of backing up the majority of a good (no errors) disc without posting a new thread.

No offense taken and no offense meant by me. :)

I have copied dozens of disks using AnyDVD, etc., and perhaps a special case with my computer, but Vacancy is the first I have had significant problems with. I tried using both an IDE DVD player and a USB DVD player with the same result. Over half through the disc, my computer shuts down. No messages, no warning, lights out. I'm about to try it on my laptop. If it crashes there, I will just bypass this one.

I have copied dozens of disks using AnyDVD, etc., and perhaps a special case with my computer, but Vacancy is the first I have had significant problems with. I tried using both an IDE DVD player and a USB DVD player with the same result. Over half through the disc, my computer shuts down. No messages, no warning, lights out. I'm about to try it on my laptop. If it crashes there, I will just bypass this one.
That's bizarre.

That's not an Anydvd issue. I'd check your power supply and look for possible overheating issues (case fans, check for dust. etc).

It could be a hardware issue, as the computer is loaded, has 5 different video editors, a couple of audio editors, and do web work, PowerPoint and Publisher work professionally. The computer has been running 4 years with a 600 watt power supply and 3 DVD writers. The ONLY thing that has ever brought it down is this process. I burned DVD's all day today and read other discs. Yes, bizzare and possible hardware (it's one of those several machines that Acrobat will not upgrade on past v6) but you have to admit very strange. A possible factor that has arisen in a few situations is that several software programs assume you are running WinXp from drive C: and this one runs from drive D:, so something quirky could be happening. Enuf said. It may not even be a very good movie -- was just putting it on HD to watch later. Thanks for your comments.

. Yes, bizzare and possible hardware .

Not that uncommon, actually . . .

Probable hardware issue with either the power supply or your case overheating while your optical drive encountered a read error (read retries . . . optical reader heating up, case temperature increasing, internal fans choked with dust, etc.)

Last edited:
I would suggest a good internal cleaning. If it's clean, you probably are experiencing some type of hardware failure. Wattage of a PSU is not as important as the quality of that PSU and after 4 yrs. a hardware failure should not be a surprise.
On a side note....I watched Vacancy tonight and threw the copy in the trash. I wasn't expecting a lot from that type of movie but I thought "maybe" ...since it actually had some known actors.

Thanks. Did you experience any issues with The Lookout?

I had a problem with The Lookout. It produced a cyclic redundancy error after lots of cleaning and pampering on a brand new disc with no prints or scratches.

I thought maybe an update might do the trick, it didn't.

I walked the disc over to a friends house who also has both programs. It worked fine.

There was also a second disc involved in this issue, which is why I thought there might be a concern, the second disc was simply dirty and too dirty in fact to be backed up properly, should have done it sooner.:doh:

Whenever I have a problem with the program, or think I do which is rare, I go for source material, or a disc that I've backed up before and try running it through its paces and back it up again. - Usually I don't actually write the disc.:disagree:

The first thing I try is a new drive, or moving it from an internal reader to a USB burner. I like having the disc in the internal reader and the burner setup with a disc since it'll auto run through the disc, but with some backups I need to use the USB drive to read and write, which is rare, but happens.8)

On a side note....I watched Vacancy tonight and threw the copy in the trash. I wasn't expecting a lot from that type of movie but I thought "maybe" ...since it actually had some known actors.

I loved Vacancy, great horror film! :bowdown: A little too graphic for watching right before you fall asleep.:doh:

Reading past scratches

At one time HiFi magazines always listed an error correction test of CD players using standardized CD's do the DVD palyer reviewers do the same?

Back