• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Using Virtual CloneDrive via USB

bio

Dear Slysofters,

My question is if it is possible to run a portable version of Virtual CloneDrive?
Can I copy-paste the installation folder of VCD to my USB without any problems? (Daemon Tools Lite can do this)

Or is there another way to get VCD up and running without the need to install it?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
bio

Whether installed or portable version, a virtual bus driver installation is unavoidable.
Therefore i'd always prefer the common installation process which mostly implies a regular/proper uninstallation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your response (and excuses for my bump)!

If a virtual bus driver is necessary, how can Daemon Tools Lite work without installation? Do they have a driver included? And if so, can VCD do this too?

Install and uninstall is the most proper way perhaps, but if you need to run an iso at many computers, a portable version would be a welcome solution. It would save me a lot of time!

If a virtual bus driver is necessary, how can Daemon Tools Lite work without installation? Do they have a driver included? And if so, can VCD do this too?
Sorry, don't know about VCD, but portable DT installs the DTSoftBus driver at first use (check device manager/system devices).

It should be added that you have to manually remove that driver (in device manager).
So it's no portable installation in the proper sense.

Thanks for your clarification!
That's not really portable indeed.:bang:

Sorry, don't know about VCD, but portable DT installs the DTSoftBus driver at first use (check device manager/system devices).

It should be added that you have to manually remove that driver (in device manager).
So it's no portable installation in the proper sense.
VCD also installs in Device Manager, but under "Storage controllers" since it emulates a SCSI drive controller. (Its drives are listed under "DVD/CD-ROM drives" as "ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device", with the same drivers as physical optical drives.) Some other virtual drives emulate at a higher level and may be able to run from a USB stick, but that's why they're inferior to VCD (and DT); full-featured drive emulation must be done with a Device Manager driver.

I'm sure you can put the VCD installer on a USB stick, but you'll have to install it on each machine first; you won't need the stick again unless you reinstall it after uninstalling (or your ISO is also on the stick).

Last edited:
Back