• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

[Using Divx Pro 6.8.5] Wall-E -- How Does Maker Spoof the File System?

SoonerLater

There are other threads here about *how* to rip and backup Wall-E. That's not my question. I'm curious what the maker of the Wall-E (Region 1) dvd disc did to fool the file system so that it Windows Explorer reports that there is 59.9gb on a dvd 9 disk! The movie appears as VTS_03_x through VTS_13_x. How does it do that?

There are other threads here about *how* to rip and backup Wall-E. That's not my question. I'm curious what the maker of the Wall-E (Region 1) dvd disc did to fool the file system so that it Windows Explorer reports that there is 59.9gb on a dvd 9 disk! The movie appears as VTS_03_x through VTS_13_x. How does it do that?
The files overlap. You can create an AnyDVD log and check dirlist.txt yourself.

I know that using AnyDVD to rip the disk to hdd is a surefire first step on the path to making a good backup. And I understand from your answer, that if I have AnyDVD create a logfile the dirlist.txt file will tell me which of the title sets (in this case, set 3 through set 13) is the *real* title set and which are the spoofs. However, even though I now *know* which is the real title set (#7; because I had AnyDVD rip it all to hdd), when I read the dirlist.txt file, I can't tell from it which title set is real and which is not. What am I overlooking? What is it in the dirlist.txt which tells me title set #7 is genuine, but #3-6 and #8-13 are fakes?

I like to use CloneDVDMobile to make my MP4s for my iPod, but I like to use Divx Pro 6.8.5 to create my Divx files. (I'd use CloneDVDMobile for both, but CloneDVDMobile won't use my Divx Pro codec. Thus, I need a way to figure out what's real and what's fake without having to rip to HDD first.

(Note: I would have included the text of dirlist.txt in this post but it would have made this post too long). If you want, I can break it into multiple posts to this thread.

Thus, I need a way to figure out what's real and what's fake without having to rip to HDD first.

Why? If you can process files off a an original disc, you can process files off a hard drive (simply create an .iso after using "rip video dvd to harddisk" or use Clonedvd to create an iso, and then mount it in virtual clonedrive if need be).

Regardless, this isn't an Anydvd issue and doesn't belong in the Anydvd forum.

Why? If you can process files off a an original disc, you can process files off a hard drive (simply create an .iso after using "rip video dvd to harddisk" or use Clonedvd to create an iso, and then mount it in virtual clonedrive if need be).

Regardless, this isn't an Anydvd issue and doesn't belong in the Anydvd forum.

Actually this is an AnyDVD issue -- at least how to properly use AnyDVD. Your (Webslinger's) response, although accurate, is not responsive to my query. Perhaps I phrased my question poorly, so I'll rephrase: How can I use AnyDVD and AnyDVD's create logfile function so that I do not have to create an ISO (which I never asked about) or having to rip the files to my hard drive at all? There is, apparently, crucial information in the dirlist.txt file created by the AnyDVD logfiles process which, if I only understood how to read it, would tell me which titles are real and which are fake. Armed with that information, I'd never have to waste time by creating an ISO or ripping any files to my hdd just to create a Divx, MP4, etc. file. Clearly CloneDVD Mobile (and CloneDVD) knows which title is real and which is/are fake, but *I* don't. James's answer implies that if one just knows how to read the dirlist.txt file from the AnyDVD logfile bundle, you will know which is real and which is fake. If you know that, then you can just use the real one as your source -- and never waste time creating an ISO or ripping to hdd. Your (Webslinger's) answer, doesn't address that point. Thus, this about how to read the AnyDVD logfile. Thus, this really is an AnyDVD thread and needs to be moved back, please, to the AnyDVD forum.

Armed with that information, I'd never have to waste time by creating an ISO or ripping any files to my hdd

You are mistaken. The standard file structure on some dvds is corrupted. You cannot simply drag and drop files off the disc--even if you believe you found the right one. I'm not going to bother explaining it further. This isn't an Anydvd issue, and you will have to use "rip video dvd to hard disk" or use Clonedvd to rip.

Last edited:
Actually this is an AnyDVD issue -- at least how to properly use AnyDVD.

If you read the stickied posts and the FAQs in the forums it explains how to properly use AnyDVD with third-party products when structural protections are involved.

Perhaps I phrased my question poorly, so I'll rephrase: How can I use AnyDVD and AnyDVD's create logfile function so that I do not have to create an ISO (which I never asked about) or having to rip the files to my hard drive at all?

If you wish to process the files using another program such as CloneDVD mobile, HandBrake, DVD Shrink, Nero Recode, etc, then you simply cannot with some programs and should not with other programs do it without ripping discs with these types of structural protection to your HDD first. Once you have done so then use the material on your HDD as the source material when processing with the program you desire.

There is, apparently, crucial information in the dirlist.txt file created by the AnyDVD logfiles process which, if I only understood how to read it, would tell me which titles are real and which are fake.

James was answering your question as to how it does what it does and the size appears wrong. I am unsure of the exact protection used on this particular disc but the X-Protect protection has been doing this for quite some time and has been used on Region 1 releases since the release of Blade: House of Cthon.

Armed with that information, I'd never have to waste time by creating an ISO or ripping any files to my hdd just to create a Divx, MP4, etc. file.

To fully clean the protections out so you can accomplish this you need to first rip this disc to your HDD using the AnyDVD ripper or CloneDVD and use the resulting files as your source for creating the portable format.

Clearly CloneDVD Mobile (and CloneDVD) knows which title is real and which is/are fake, but *I* don't.

The ripping engine used in CloneDVD and the AnyDVD ripper share code. Slysoft licensed this from Elaborate Bytes. I do not believe that CloneDVD mobile shares the same exact code and I do not believe it handles structural protections such as what is on this disc perfectly without first ripping the disc to your HDD using the AnyDVD ripper or CloneDVD. I could be wrong in thinking this but from using the software I believe my assumptions to be correct. As as rule, I always rip a disc to my HDD before processing with CloneDVD mobile.

James's answer implies that if one just knows how to read the dirlist.txt file from the AnyDVD logfile bundle, you will know which is real and which is fake. If you know that, then you can just use the real one as your source -- and never waste time creating an ISO or ripping to hdd.

Again, no, this isn't correct. That's not what James was saying. It lets you see what they are doing with the files and why the disc appears the way it does but you still need to rip the disc to your HDD to remove the protection, remaster when necessary, and correct the structure when necessary. Some of this simply cannot be done on-the-fly which is why using a third-party program such as DVD Shrink will fail to properly work with discs containing newer structural protections such as X-Protect.

Thus, this really is an AnyDVD thread and needs to be moved back, please, to the AnyDVD forum.

You are wanting to use DivX to make your AVI files. You are using a third-party program and this is the Third-Party forum. There is nothing wrong with how AnyDVD is functioning. It is working as it should. There are limitations to the manner in which it is used. In this case you need to first rip the disc to your HDD.

Last edited:
Thank you DrinkLyeAndDie, Webslinger and James for clearing this up.

I never thought AnyDVD wasn't working correctly. Rather I thought if I only know how to use it correctly, I could save myself a lot of time. As it stands, I backup every film I buy to both MP4 (for iPod) and AVI. I used to exclusively use CloneDVDMobile for both tasks, but have started using Divx Pro, because I prefer often to preserve multiple soundtracks and subtitle sets, which Divx Pro 6 will do, but the xvid encoder in CloneDVD Mobile will not.

Now that you've kindly explained how things works under the hood and disabused me of my misunderstandings and false assumptions, from now on, I'll rip every film to hdd using the AnyDVD ripper first, then work from there.

Now that you've kindly explained how things works under the hood and disabused me of my misunderstandings and false assumptions, from now on, I'll rip every film to hdd using the AnyDVD ripper first, then work from there.

If the original disc doesn't contain structural protection (well, if the disc doesn't then you won't have this issue at all), you can drag and drop files or just use whatever application you want with Anydvd running in the background. Otherwise, you must rip first using "rip video dvd to harddisk".

Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992 for a list of discs that generally require the use of "rip video dvd to harddisk".

If the original disc doesn't contain structural protection (well, if the disc doesn't then you won't have this issue at all), you can drag and drop files or just use whatever application you want with Anydvd running in the background. Otherwise, you must rip first using "rip video dvd to harddisk".

Click http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=3992 for a list of discs that generally require the use of "rip video dvd to harddisk".
Just to clarify, that thread states that the "problem" discs will work with CloneCD and CloneDVD2 - what about CloneDvdMobile? Do we need to think of that as a third-party product like Shrink for those discs (rip to HDD first)? It seems from this discussion that it does not share the same code.

DrinkLyandDie wrote: I do not believe that CloneDVD mobile shares the same exact code and I do not believe it handles structural protections such as what is on this disc perfectly without first ripping the disc to your HDD using the AnyDVD ripper or CloneDVD. I could be wrong in thinking this but from using the software I believe my assumptions to be correct.

It seems from this discussion that it does not share the same code.

I believe this to be the case, yes. The timing of updates to CloneDVD and CloneDVD mobile are widely different and it was noted when the licensed code from Elaborate Bytes was added into the AnyDVD ripper. Remember that CloneDVD is an Elaborate Bytes product while CloneDVD mobile is not. CloneDVD mobile is a Slysoft product and there has never been any statement that code for the ripping engine from CloneDVD was used in CloneDVD mobile.

I could be wrong, of course, but given how the releases have fallen with updates to all the different products I just don't believe they share the same exact ripping engine. A developer will have to either confirm this or tell me that I am an idiot and completely wrong. :)

what about CloneDvdMobile? Do we need to think of that as a third-party product like Shrink for those discs (rip to HDD first)?

Honestly, I know next to nothing about Clonedvdmobile. I actually paid for it a long time ago, but I never use it because I don't enjoy watching video on portable devices. So that's one reason why you barely notice me posting in the Clonedvdmobile forum.

That said, I believe the answer to your question is "yes" because peer never dissuaded me from suggesting to Clonedvdmobile users that they should use "rip video dvd to harddisk" first in Anydvd with discs containing structural protection.

Back