• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Using Coinbase + Electrum(wallet) for Purchasing...

LoneSwan

Update: Transaction confirmed. Electrum(wallet) details the time as 05:03AM EST. That makes the delay in blockchain confirmation about 65 hours. RedFox sent the license email within 24 hours of my SEND from Electrum(wallet). To avoid unacceptable blockchain confirmation delay in the future (which is a worry for both buyer and seller) it is necessary to increase the transaction fee. Electrum automatically applied a fee of 0.00050222 BTC/kB. The transaction size was 225 bytes. This equals 0.000113 BTC. According to websites that track blockchain fees vs. confirm time, the fee should be increased about 4X [4 X .0005 = .0020] to expedite: should confirm in less than 5 minutes. {I am new to this, so my analysis is not proven.} [.002 BTC ~= $2.53 USD / 4 = $0.63 USD]

So: $0.14 and wait 65(?) hours for confirmation, OR ~$0.63 and get it done ASAP? If the Electrum(wallet) app was programmed according to "real world" logic, I don't think any reasonable person would choose option to save 50 cents, and WAIT,,,,,,!

---------------------------------------------

My reason for posting is to start a tutorial thread on "How to use Coinbase + Electrum(wallet) for RedFox purchases". I encourage experienced users to elaborate on whatever points I am unclear on, or miss. I will also add details for using Coinbase and the Electrum(wallet) app at the bottom of this post, in the near future.

Note: Users in metro areas with proper Internet and mobile phone service will find these processes rather painless. In my case (rural America / no cell service ) it was a challenge.

Open electrum.exe
Confirm _Open_ for Windows security prompt
GoTo [Receive] Tab
A receiving address will already be generated in the "Receiving address" field.
Click-on icon to right of "Receiving address" field {Copy to clipboard}.
Enter "Description", such as: "Coinbase to Electrum [+Today's Date]"
Open web browser and GoTo Coinbase website & Log-In.
GoTo Buy/Sell
Buy required BTC {based on current USD to Euro exchange rate}
{For a Lifetime license was $91.68 ($82.51 after all discounts) USD, then add enough to cover transaction
fees.}
{I figured about $100USD - $4.00USD(Coinbase -buy- fee) = ~$96USD worth of BTC.}
{At time of transaction this amounted to 0.07577834}

NOTE: It took a few attempts, hitting the [Buy] button, waiting, seeing "Failed".
Finally, -buy- was confirmed.
Then, GoTo Accounts and view "BTC Wallet".
You will probably see "Pending" next to this new transaction. Wait until confirmed.
{It will "go GREEN" when the account balance is updated.}

Now, you are ready to SEND the newly acquired BTC to your Electrum wallet.

GoTo Send/Request {still using Coinbase website}
Initiate a SEND.
Copy & Paste your Electrum wallet's Receiving Address to SEND field in Coinbase.
Enter BTC amount to send. I used the full balance, less the ending decimal number.
This amount was 0.0757783 {leaving final fraction(#4) for balance}.
Enter Description, such as "to Electrum".

At this point I confirmed the SEND from Coinbase.

SEND button did not appear to react to first -push-, so waited a bit, then carefully
-pressed- SEND button, again. This time display refreshed and showed "sending...".

I waited quite a while, at least 5 minutes, before seeing status line at bottom of
Electrum wallet app show the Coinbase BTC amount. Waited more than 5 additional minutes
for the Electrum status to update the transfer from waiting confirmation to complete.
Still nothing changed. At this point the Coinbase webpage was still showing "sending...",
and I suspect it had already "timed-out"; poor design, because it should have returned to
a Log-In-Out screen to indicate time-out.

Reviewing the electrum wallet "Receive" screen (while waiting!), I noticed that more
info may(?) have been needed to enter. There was a field for "Requested amount". I did
not think to enter this because of the lengthy(and at the time unknown) BTC amount. Now
this amount had been calculated and was present on both the Coinbase page and in the Electrum
wallet status line. So, I entered the BTC number just as it appeared in the status line.
The amount in USD was automatically calculated and updated. This matched up with the amount
shown in USD on the Coinbase page, so was assurance that transaction was correct.

I then "pressed" the [Save] button on the Electrum wallet Receive tab.

[Save] button "grayed-out". I then waited quite a while longer. In fact, I started writing
this "notes" message while the experience was still fresh in mind. After maybe 15 minutes(?),
I checked the Electrum wallet status and saw the new balance was in place.

NOTE: the "Requests" section on the Electrum wallet Receive tab showed the Coinbase transaction
with Status _Paid_, even while waiting for the bottom status line to change from "waiting confirm"
to showing Balance (in hand). I'm thinking the transaction must be completed("Save") from
the Receive end before process will finish and confirm?

NOTE: BTC value shown in the Electrum wallet status line is frequently updated, once
a balance finally appears. If you are still viewing the Receive tab, there may already
be a significant difference in the current (USD) value, to the BTC(/USD) amount just transferred.

Open Tor browser (because Exede satellite Internet service has problem with blocking
RedFox website purchase pages, in fact it blocks all but the Forum webpages).

Fill out purchase form for Lifetime license and choose BTC as payment. Happily find that
promotion and "use Bitcoin" discounts amount to a solid margin over my BTC balance. Proceed
with Bitcoin transaction. Find that "shortcuts" of using scan code or copy(buttons) either are not
supported with Windows and/or the Electrum wallet app I'm running under Windows 7. Choose to simply
use manual [Ctrl + C] Copy & [Ctrl + V] Paste to transfer data from RedFox "Payment" screen to
Electrum wallet Send tab. Add "Lifetime license purchase" to wallet Description. Increase Send
amount to next even USD (which made it equal to $85USD). Hit [Send] "button".

NOTE: Electrum wallet has "slider" for Fee automatically set to cover the average anticipated
fee to broker this transaction. ***Problem***: should have moved "slider" to MAX; not worth the petty amount to save on fee and risk ...WAITING...

NOTE: I left the "windows" opened for both Tor browser (on "Payment in progress!" RedFox page) and
my Electrum 2.7.18 default wallet (standard) app. This process is lengthy... not instant gratification
normally associated with web-based purchase transactions.

_Copy your reference number, which is used to identify your order: XXX-XXX._
_You will receive a separate order confirmation by e-mail._ {from RedFox purchase page}_
_Payment in progress!_
_The payment for this order is not finalized yet, its status will be checked every 5 minutes._

-END-

Last edited:
It takes about 20 minutes for the little clock to show in Electrum.

Back