• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Useless

i have used anydvd and shrink for a year or so. i have had no problems untill saw3 and open season. i downloaded clonedvd and i got it on the first try. i think it is something in your computer not the software.

I think you are not not exactly understanding what I'm saying:
- The DVD fails on two different PCs (one desktop and one laptop) with totally different hardware (both are from Dell though).

If the DVD plays perfectly in a stand-alone player, but not on a PC, this is exactly what the DVD publisher intends. It looks like the fact that a stand-alone DVD player is more forgiving is deliberately being used to implement the copy protection of this DVD.

This is the same situation I encountered with 5 or 6 other DVDs before, although I didn't conduct such systematic tests then as this time.

If the DVD plays perfectly in a stand-alone player, but not on a PC, this is exactly what the DVD publisher intends.

No. You are mistaken. They merely don't want it copied. And I fail to see why a brand new disc should be showing "wear and tear". Your standalone player may be more lax in playing past scratches and flaws than the drives on your computer.

Disable Anydvd. Do the movies still not play? Then the problem isn't anydvd, period. The problem is your drives or flaws in the original disc (or a combination thereof).

Last edited:
flexibilis,

The DVD has visible, slight scratches, but could go for “normal wear and tear

I understood you perfectly, and according to the above statement I would expect CRC errors.

Disable Anydvd. Do the movies still not play? Then the problem isn't anydvd, period. The problem is your drives or flaws in the original disc (or a combination thereof).

This is what I did on the 2nd PC. I didn't say that AnyDVD IS the problem, but I said it does NOT solve it.

Of course, I don't expect any software to magically repair a DVD that is not readable at all. But here is a case of a DVD that perfectly fulfills its purpose of being playable on a standard DVD player (which is probably what 90% of all customers use) although it exhibits CRC errors brought on either deliberately or accidentally when analyzed on a PC.

I'm saying that this looks like a deliberate copy protection scheme. The tiny percentage of people usually viewing DVDs on their PC instead of a regular player would just be acceptable collateral damage to the publishers in such a copy protection scheme.

So, now you know the problem is the original disc, right?

Basically I'm at square two. I know that even a second original copy of a DVD cannot be copied or viewed on a PC but on a regular player. This is whether using AnyDVD or not.

This is what I did on the 2nd PC. I didn't say that AnyDVD IS the problem, but I said it does NOT solve it.

If you can't play the disc on your system, then it's highly unlikely Anydvd is going to be able to do much of anything other than possibly remove the protection on the disc. Anydvd doesn't have anything to do with repairing discs or fixing your computer's optical drives.

Of course, I don't expect any software to magically repair a DVD that is not readable at all. But here is a case of a DVD that perfectly fulfills its purpose of being playable on a standard DVD player (which is probably what 90% of all customers use) although it exhibits CRC errors brought on either deliberately or accidentally when analyzed on a PC.

This is not all that unusual. I've seen this many times. In all cases, the original disc was at fault (or in one case, one person was using an inferior optical drive that was dying).

I'm saying that this looks like a deliberate copy protection scheme.

And I'm saying you're wrong. There's absolutely nothing on this disc other than a region lock:

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1977552 sectors (3862 MBytes)
Total size: 3008464 sectors (5875 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: NEU_SCN
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2

If you absolutely feel otherwise, then do this: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=330

If you get read errors while trying to do it, then I'm sorry, but there's nothing we can do (the disc is damaged).

The tiny percentage of people usually viewing DVDs on their PC instead of a regular player would just be acceptable collateral damage to the publishers in such a copy protection scheme.

No. All dvds must conform to certain standards in order to play properly. The sony stuff bends the rules horribly (as do many protections), but the discs must still play properly--on standalones and on optical drives in computer systems. Manufacturers can't damage discs to the point where they are completely unplayable in dvd-rom drives.

But . . . you can find scratched discs (and even discs that don't have scratches) that will play in some drives but not in others. In almost all cases, the original disc is at fault unless the player is faulty.

Last edited:
If you absolutely feel otherwise, then do this: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=330

Okay, I copied the IFO files to my hard disk w/o any problems and will send them to support.

But . . . you can find scratched discs (and even discs that don't have scratches) that will play in some drives but not in others. In all cases, the original disc is at fault unless the player is faulty.

So why can't software be made smart enough to emulate exactly what a regular player is able to do, namely be more forgiving in encountering CRC errors?

I believe you may mean "dumbed down" to emulate generic DVD players....;)

Basically I'm at square two. I know that even a second original copy of a DVD cannot be copied or viewed on a PC but on a regular player. This is whether using AnyDVD or not.
I mentioned this in an earlier post here. Keep in mind that a stand-alone DVD player does not necessarily read the entire disc (so it may not encounter the read errors), whereas decryption software does, and is less forgiving than the SA player.

So why can't software be made smart enough to emulate exactly what a regular player is able to do, namely be more forgiving in encountering CRC errors?

This is really more (hardware) dependant on the dvd-rom drive you use for reading, in my opinion. I know that's not a full answer, and some may argue with me. But that's the basic jist. Not all readers are the same.

I've come across some instances where a dvd-rom drive could play a movie (but did have problems ripping, normally) and a standalone player couldn't. Again, the problem was the original disc. Exchanging it (5 times, no less; the store loved me at the end of it) finally fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Hi Flex,
I didn't see a response to James@Slysoft's initial suggestions, and wanted to make sure you saw them:
It looks like AnyDVD is not working correctly on your machine. If shrink reports read errors AnyDVD was unable to do its job.
You can try to run AnyDVD in "Safe Mode" (Settings -> Program settings).
You sould use the Microsoft IDE/SATA drivers, not some fancy motherboard drivers which often cause a lot of weird problems.

Sorry to add to your long thread, if you did catch that.
Good luck!

The facts I have observed:

• Recently, I have started seeing a lot of posts from people who get CRC errors while using AnyDVD.
  • On discs that only have CSS protection, they rip fine using other ripping programs without AnyDVD running.
  • Many dual layer discs get errors at the layer break with AnyDVD running (about 50% into the rip), regardless of the ripping program or method.
  • The problem is likely caused by certain makes and models of drives + their firmware "not being up to spec." For example late model Liteon drives have problems.
  • I have read some posts where people rolled back to an older version of AnyDVD, and the problems go away.
  • There seems to be a push on various forums by some people to either downplay the problem or blame the problem on other causes.

I remain hopeful that this will all get sorted out.

Last edited:
AnyDVD is Awesome!

I must say that I find AnyDVD completely useless. There was only 1 DVD that I could copy with AnyDVD, which Shrink DVD had problems with. This was the reason I bought AnyDVD. But since then, there was NOTa single DVD that AnyDVD could handle which also Shrink DVD wasn't able to.
Usually a read error is reported at approx. 30%, and when clicking Yes to ignore read errors, it's always the end of the story: the transfer rate drops to 0.0 and that's it. However, the original DVDs play perfectly fine in both the PC and a standalone player. And AnyDVD reports no problems whatsoever, when browsing the DVD at the beginning.
So I'd find these frequent updates nice, if they were of any help, but they proved to be just annoying to me.
Any comment?
:mad:
Let me 1st say that I used to be an Avid DVD XCopy user, till Resident Evil!:eek: A friend told me about AnyDVD, I tried it, was able to to back-up my Resident Evil, then I bought AnyDVD. I found at that time that using DVD Shrink with AnyDVD was pretty good. BUT.... As newer movies[ came out with more complicated protections, like bad sector protections, ripgaurd, arrccos, etc, I wanted something better, I tried CloneDVD 2. Voila! I found the combo that works for everything!:agree: I have been a Loyal & Very Happy Slysoft Product user ever since, and like others, I can tell you that I have yet to see a movie I can't back up successfully with the combo. I am also a member of another forum "AD" and it is pretty well known that most all people that have trouble with AnyDVD are either using 3rd party SATA/IDE drivers, like Nvidia's, or are using "cracks " for the "keys", others are still using older outdated programs like DVD Shrink, which was great in it's time. Point is, Slysoft has done an Outstanding job with AnyDVD & CloneDVD. I even purchased CloneCD, which I find Very Useful for Dual Layer back-ups with AnyDVD running. :) Bottom line: AnyDVD is The Best Money I ever spent on software, Period! My Only regret is that I didn't purchase all 3 AnyDVD, CloneDVD and CloneCD at once back then, I would have saved $$! Nevertheless, I was worth it, and still is The Best Money I have yet to spend! Thanks Slysoft!

Let me 1st say that I used to be an Avid DVD XCopy user, till Resident Evil!:eek: A friend told me about AnyDVD, I tried it, was able to to back-up my Resident Evil, then I bought AnyDVD. I found at that time that using DVD Shrink with AnyDVD was pretty good. BUT.... As newer movies[ came out with more complicated protections, like bad sector protections, ripgaurd, arrccos, etc, I wanted something better, I tried CloneDVD 2. Voila! I found the combo that works for everything!:agree: I have been a Loyal & Very Happy Slysoft Product user ever since, and like others, I can tell you that I have yet to see a movie I can't back up successfully with the combo. I am also a member of another forum "AD" and it is pretty well known that most all people that have trouble with AnyDVD are either using 3rd party SATA/IDE drivers, like Nvidia's, or are using "cracks " for the "keys", others are still using older outdated programs like DVD Shrink, which was great in it's time. Point is, Slysoft has done an Outstanding job with AnyDVD & CloneDVD. I even purchased CloneCD, which I find Very Useful for Dual Layer back-ups with AnyDVD running. :) Bottom line: AnyDVD is The Best Money I ever spent on software, Period! My Only regret is that I didn't purchase all 3 AnyDVD, CloneDVD and CloneCD at once back then, I would have saved $$! Nevertheless, I was worth it, and still is The Best Money I have yet to spend! Thanks Slysoft!

Were you a cheerleader in real life ?? :D

[*]There seems to be a push on various forums by some people to either downplay the problem or blame the problem on other causes.[/list]

I remain hopeful that this will all get sorted out.

Please tell me how Anydvd is going to resolve people not being able to play dvd movies on their systems even when Anydvd is disabled/not running. The OP can't play the original discs on his system with Anydvd disabled. Is this the same problem you're having? No.

Last edited:
Back