• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Useless

There seems to be little point in this forum for Anydvd specifically, since most of the problems encountered are not Anydvd but either the copy software or your system.
Post a log of the copy software you are using and let people see what is happening. It will answer a lot of questions and you may get some help, but stumbling about blind is pointless.

flexibilis,

I think the discs you are trying to backup have legitmate read errors. Just because it can be played in your player does not mean it doesn't have errors, keep in mind that players do not necessarily read the entire disc, however, rippers like DVDShrink do read every byte on the disc, so they are more prone to find read errors. Do you see any scratches on the discs, try cleaning it, Windex works well with a very smooth cloth or cotton ball, but scratches are a different story.

James, I just tried again using Safe Mode and Logging: same results, Shrink DVD reports a CRC error.
AnyDVD reports this about the disk:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.1.3)
PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701 5D24 MY0M97537015957L081F
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1977552 sectors (3862 MBytes)
Total size: 3008464 sectors (5875 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: NEU_SCN
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2
Shrink DVD is an old unsupported program, it still has alot of merit and was always great, but see if CloneDVD2 gives you that error, you can try it for free for 21 days. Just a thought.:agree:

back to basics

Since AnyDVD/CloneDVD always works for my simple needs I haven't spent much studying the report that AnyDVD provides but could someone knowledgeable in these things take a look at flexibilis' AnyDVD report and report back anything that looks funky.

In the mean time, flexibilis should have checked to see that he has the latest IDE drivers.

And a quick Google reveals that most power users crossflash this drive to a Benq 1640. If I followed the various Google search result links properly, this Philips drive (the 8701 with 5D24 firmware) is a re-packaged Benq drive. Crossflashing it to the Benq 1640 apparently improves its performance and adds some new capabilities. It sounds like something flexibilis should check out. I am new and don't know if it is proper to leave links to other forums but flexibilis will find the same informations I did if flexibilis just Googles "PHILIPS DVD8701 5D24".

Best of luck flexibilis. I am sure the forum community can work together to help you solve this problem although you might get re-directed to a different part of the forum where different resources are availalble (so be fore-warned).

P.S. I just Googled "NEU_SCN" and a couple Deutsche links came up. Translating the first seems to suggest that when the DVD Title is listed as "NEU_SCN" it indicates that the drive was not able to properly read the disc. Perhaps one of our Deutsch friends could tell us what the phrase "NEU_SCN" means. Anyhow, the gist of the thread I was reading was that it was drive-related. So maybe crossflashing that Philips would solve the problem (assuming it is in the firmware-hardware interaction). Just a thought.

Last edited:
Just downloaded and installed Clone DVD. When trying to copy the problematic DVD, Clone DVD also reports a CRC error at the very same location. Of course, I would also deduce immediately that the DVD is faulty, but again it plays perfectly well at this spot also.

There was one odd thing, though, when installing Clone DVD: I got a message saying something like "the program cannot be started because framedyn.dll cannot be found. A new installation could solve the problem." But after clicking OK, the installation continues and looks all right.

So could this framedyn.dll issue have something to do with the problem and how can I get this dll?

AnyDVD and more

I have yet to find ANY disk as yet that won't rip using AnyDVD. I have been using it for well over a year now. It has worked flawlessly in that time. I saw where someone had problems with Saw III and I had no problem at all with that DVD.

I must say that I find AnyDVD completely useless. There was only 1 DVD that I could copy with AnyDVD, which Shrink DVD had problems with. This was the reason I bought AnyDVD. But since then, there was NOTa single DVD that AnyDVD could handle which also Shrink DVD wasn't able to.
Usually a read error is reported at approx. 30%, and when clicking Yes to ignore read errors, it's always the end of the story: the transfer rate drops to 0.0 and that's it. However, the original DVDs play perfectly fine in both the PC and a standalone player. And AnyDVD reports no problems whatsoever, when browsing the DVD at the beginning.
So I'd find these frequent updates nice, if they were of any help, but they proved to be just annoying to me.
Any comment?
:mad:
You must be doing something wrong...I have never had a movie I couldn't copy. I love AnyDVD!!!

I just Googled "NEU_SCN" and a couple Deutsche links came up. Translating the first seems to suggest that when the DVD Title is listed as "NEU_SCN" it indicates that the drive was not able to properly read the disc. Perhaps one of our Deutsch friends could tell us what the phrase "NEU_SCN" means. Anyhow, the gist of the thread I was reading was that it was drive-related. So maybe crossflashing that Philips would solve the problem (assuming it is in the firmware-hardware interaction). Just a thought.

I happen to be "one of our Deutsch friends" myself and googled for NEU_SCN. One guy can't read a DVD that's reported with a disk ID of NEU_SCN. But the other 3 hits just list the data of 3 DVDs with NEU_SCN as being the regular ID of side A. BTW, NEU_SCN just means NEW_SCN, but SCN must be some acronym. All the DVDs I had problems with were indeed from the German market. Could it be that this points to a new copy protection scheme that you guys elsewhere haven't encountered yet?

Just downloaded and installed Clone DVD. When trying to copy the problematic DVD, Clone DVD also reports a CRC error at the very same location. Of course, I would also deduce immediately that the DVD is faulty, but again it plays perfectly well at this spot also.

There was one odd thing, though, when installing Clone DVD: I got a message saying something like "the program cannot be started because framedyn.dll cannot be found. A new installation could solve the problem." But after clicking OK, the installation continues and looks all right.

So could this framedyn.dll issue have something to do with the problem and how can I get this dll?

As sytyguy pointed out earlier, DVD players do not read every bit on playback. In case the point of that is not clear, please allow me to expand that ... in other words, disc players do not perform CRC checking so it is possible to have a defect or two on discs that play just fine (thank God given the relative fragility of this medium). However, disc copiers read every bit so they can generate a CRC (a standard for checking that data is read properly). As a result, any defect can cause a disc copy to fail. The reason is that since this is all digital, there is virtually no way to tell if a single CRC failure will cause the copy to malfunction, so disc copiers usually stop right there. Disc players are displaying so many frames per second that if one frame here and there does not decode properly it isn't noticeable because the next frame just comes along and overlays it. You have to get a lot of bad data in a row to throw off a disc player.

Hope that helps a little. BTW, did you find any defects on your disc? Is it possible to borrow the same disc from a pal to see if there is a CRC error in the same spot? There are also some utilities that can deep-scan discs and create more detailed reports. If you want to go to that length, I am sure one of the more experienced folks here or at CDFreaks.com can provide you with a program link or two to check out.

I happen to be "one of our Deutsch friends" myself and googled for NEU_SCN. One guy can't read a DVD that's reported with a disk ID of NEU_SCN. But the other 3 hits just list the data of 3 DVDs with NEU_SCN as being the regular ID of side A. BTW, NEU_SCN just means NEW_SCN, but SCN must be some acronym. All the DVDs I had problems with were indeed from the German market. Could it be that this points to a new copy protection scheme that you guys elsewhere haven't encountered yet?

Ach! Alles ist jetzt klar! (As my friend Jens from Mannheim used to say.) Thank you for clearing that up. And your patience as we work through this.

There always seems to be some new whiz kid copy protection scheme coming out of the woodwork ... although the SONY fiasco seems to have them checking more carefully.

What do you think of the crossflash idea? I've never done that but it seems fairly reasonable.

TschuB und viel gluck! (And now we've worked most of the way through my phrase cheat sheet.) :eek:

Last edited:
ttocsmij, thank you. I will try to get another original copy of the same disk to check whether I get the same error at the same spot.

BTW, why can't a copy program just optionally skip the spot with CRC errors? They obviously don't do any visible harm when playing the DVD, so if the copier skips a few bytes that won't be visible as well. The AnyDVD ripper does provide the option to ignore read errors, but I haven't found this to be a solution to my problem.

What do you think of the crossflash idea? I've never done that but it seems fairly reasonable.

I don't favor the crossflash idea, because the drive works fine for everything else, and I don't want to screw it up. At least, I'm going to dig into this problem with another original copy of the DVD to see whether this gives the same problem.

Do a Google search for VSO Inspector and use it to scan your disc(s) for errors. When it comes to errors on a disc it is more forgiving for a dvd player to play past or through them then it is when trying to copy one. If the original disc has errors in the right spot that would make it almost impossible to back up.

I must say that I find AnyDVD completely useless. There was only 1 DVD that I could copy with AnyDVD, which Shrink DVD had problems with. This was the reason I bought AnyDVD. But since then, there was NOTa single DVD that AnyDVD could handle which also Shrink DVD wasn't able to.
Usually a read error is reported at approx. 30%, and when clicking Yes to ignore read errors, it's always the end of the story: the transfer rate drops to 0.0 and that's it. However, the original DVDs play perfectly fine in both the PC and a standalone player. And AnyDVD reports no problems whatsoever, when browsing the DVD at the beginning.
So I'd find these frequent updates nice, if they were of any help, but they proved to be just annoying to me.
Any comment?
:mad:

I am totally amazed that you condemn AnyDVD as "completely useless" when the real problem is obviously the way you are using the application.

When the the vast majority have no problems with the application, only goes to prove that you or your computer is the problem.:doh:

James, I just tried again using Safe Mode and Logging: same results, Shrink DVD reports a CRC error.
AnyDVD reports this about the disk:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.1.1.3)
PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701 5D24 MY0M97537015957L081F
Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 1977552 sectors (3862 MBytes)
Total size: 3008464 sectors (5875 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: NEU_SCN
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: PAL
Media is locked to region(s): 2!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2

Copying a copy......

Back