USB 3.2 specifications

Discussion in 'High Definition Hardware' started by RedFox 1, Oct 3, 2017.

1. RedFox 1

RedFox 1 Super Moderator

The USB 3.0 Promoters Group today published the USB 3.2 specifications. Devices supporting the new standard can utilize two 10 Gbit/s lanes which doubles the bandwidth compared to previous USB versions.

2. TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar Well-Known Member

This version requires a motherboard [for example] that supports it [and not a software upgrade of some kind]?

3. Ch3vr0n

Ch3vr0n Translator NL & Mod

It'll probably be in a next generation motherboard future Z470 for example? these kind of technological advances need to be implemented at the motherboard level or at best via an add-in card through pci-e. You can't "upgrade" an existing usb port to a newer specification, it needs to be designed that way from the ground up.

4. TheEmpathicEar

TheEmpathicEar Well-Known Member

Yeh, I think I knew this much. By the time I get around to building my next desktop, there may even be a newer spec. LOL

5. gereral1

gereral1 Well-Known Member

This USB standard be supported on 8th gen i7 coffee lake? I'm saving up to build a i7 with z370 chipset. My 10 year old computer is fine but I'm really excited about the latest offering from Intel. 6 cores. Ryzen 7 looks great but the i7 will be the cake.

6. happyguy82

happyguy82 Well-Known Member

Even the top motherboards like ASUS ROG Maximus series only have 1 USB-C port at the moment. Hopefully there will be more of those when USB 3.2 hits the market. It's time the start to make front-panel USB-C connectors too as right now the only port is on the I/O shield at the back.