1. Known AnyStream Issues
    Some newer titles Netflix are currently in lower quality. We are aware of this and working on it. So no need to post about this issue. Thank you.
    Dismiss Notice

Up converting on HD players:

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Old Systems Analyst, Feb 19, 2007.

1. I have both, a Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray and a Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player. I didn't buy a SD DVD player with up conversion because I just assumed that since the HD players would play SD DVD's they would also upconvert to 1080. Well here is what I have learned so far. The Samsung Blu-ray won't up convert at all it checks the disk and if it's a SD formated disk it switches to 480p on both the component and the HDMI outputs. The Toshiba on the other hand is a bit better. If it is an original copy protected disk it displays a message that 1080 res. is not supported with this disk and switches to 480p, however if I insert a backup that I have removed the copy protect from it does the upconversion and playes just great. My only probelm now is that I will have to buy a couple hundred blank DVD+R DL disks and copy everything that I already have in my library so I can watch them in the best quality possible. I guess the movie indrustry feels that if you can afford a High Def. player you can also afford to replace all your old DVD's with HD or Blu-ray disks!

So if you haven't bought a HD player yet and you have a large collection of movies already, I suggest that you get an HD-DVD player and not a Blu-ray!

By the way I really can't see any diffrence in quality between the two when I play a new HD disk.

2. James

James Redfox Development Team Staff Member

Even over HDMI with a HDCP capable display???? That's lame. Time to hook a PC to you TV, maybe less troublesome than copying all your original discs (and you can use AnyDVD to watch them / skip over trailers / ... ).

3. I thought about that to but my home theater room {rebuilt bedroom} has 7.1 surround sound and I built the speakers into the walls. Is a long way from the living room where my computer is located.

I can hear a great diffrence between my 5.1 system on my computer with its 2.5" speakers and the 7.1 system in the home theater room. For that mater I really like the sound of the new Dolby Digital Plus that they are putting on the new HD Disks. Unfortunatly my old bedroom is quite small so I only have a 32" HD TV and on that I can see some improvement between an upconverted SD disk and a HD disk but not that much. I am sure that if I had a 40" or 50" screen it would be a diffrent story. But untill I can build another room or expand that one I will have to put up with the 32" screen.:(