• AnyStream is having some DRM issues currently, Netflix is not available in HD for the time being.
    Situations like this will always happen with AnyStream: streaming providers are continuously improving their countermeasures while we try to catch up, it's an ongoing cat-and-mouse game. Please be patient and don't flood our support or forum with requests, we are working on it 24/7 to get it resolved. Thank you.

Unloading my Frustration Regarding AnyDVD License

There's a decent chance there will be a new discount offer when the MasterCard issues are resolved.

Does Redfox have the old Slysoft mailing lists? I.e., are they capable of notifying former Slysoft customers of opportunities (like discount offers for old lifetime-license holders)?

I know I always got notices whenever there was an update to Slysoft, and downloaded quite a few, over many many years, even if I didn't need them right at the moment (you never know what may happen). But since I haven't heard anything for a long time now (unsurprisingly?), I wasn't sure if this was something that Redfox would be starting up again.

I do know I didn't receive any "introductory discount offer" when that was available. And the last I had read here, not too long after the resurrection (I don't check in often) was that arrangements for payments were still being worked out. So there was no way for any of us to financially support Redfox yet.

Does Redfox have the old Slysoft mailing lists? I.e., are they capable of notifying former Slysoft customers of opportunities (like discount offers for old lifetime-license holders)?

I know I always got notices whenever there was an update to Slysoft, and downloaded quite a few, over many many years, even if I didn't need them right at the moment (you never know what may happen). But since I haven't heard anything for a long time now (unsurprisingly?), I wasn't sure if this was something that Redfox would be starting up again.

I do know I didn't receive any "introductory discount offer" when that was available.
Answer to first question.
Yes and no.
According to ivan there were some of the early Slysoft customer DB's that could not be decrypted as one of the two eligible admins was no longer available (takes two admin's at the same time to decrypt is for our privacy) . But they had planned to let users know but with the sudden shutdown things were hectic. And getting the OPD online was priority. And having to move any equipment that they may have acquired with the naming rights deal then purchase/setup the new OPD servers and the other equipment needed too.
Now,
If you were aware of the Feb 22 shutdown by the Antiguan government and knew about RedFox's creation to supply updates again. Then it's no one's fault but yours that you missed a TWO MONTH discount.
Because you couldn't do something as simple as opening this webpage.

https://www.redfox.bz/purchase.html
As little as once in a month especially already knowing they were working on taking payment and that some type of deal would be offered. Sorry but that is on you . They also had a RedFox email subscription sign up on there till store was online.

People underestimate the work that was required by the team to keep the best damn decrypter on the planet available for US. And a good portion was done out of their own pockets and before web-store was online.

Again they had a sign up for a email when payment could be accepted for RedFox license's but you already knew that that as being worked out. However If you signed up for that and didn't get one then I see you having a little issue. But expecting them to email everyone using the Slysoft customer database would have been an even bigger sh™t storm IMO. And trust me when I tell you it was BAD enough already. Honestly I'm just glad the team has thick skin. A lesser team would have told us to shove it and good luck with the future. And went on to other things.

So people need to remember this is not SLYSOFT anymore and they do not have all the people and resources that slysoft had.
And when a new protection comes out have a little faith in the master (James) to get it fixed sometimes the actual disc is required. And also stop expecting everything yesterday. That is very disrespectful to them.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for all the background info, Nebo.

Now, If you were aware of the Feb 22 shutdown by the Antiguan government and knew about RedFox's creation to supply updates again. Then it's no one's fault but yours that you missed a TWO MONTH discount. Because you couldn't do something as simple as opening this webpage.

https://www.redfox.bz/purchase.html
As little as once in a month especially already knowing they were working on taking payment and that some type of deal would be offered. Sorry but that is on you.

I'm not quite sure what the animosity is for, but that's fine. It's easy not to do 'simple things', that you don't know about. And you're right, it is on me.

The last time I checked in here was... checking... Mar19, and at that time I was reading that RF did have the customer database. And that current customers would be notified. But according to DrinkLyeAndDie at that time, "Redfox has not yet announced pricing, or how exactly the transition will occur." Also for previous SS LTL-owners, both James and Ivan had indicated, "there will be a compensation [my emphasis] of some sort, but the details aren't ironed out yet." Nowhere did I see anything about IF we constantly checked some webpage (because that hadn't been set up yet).

I'm not even clear at this point as to whether the 'introductory discount' was available to everyone (who happened to be aware of it). Or restricted to holders of SS-LTLs. (If the former, then that would not actually be "compensation to LTL-holders", because they were left in the dark, while any Tom, Dick or Harry who wandered by got the intro.)

They also had a RedFox email subscription sign up on there till store was online.

I'm sure they must have, at some point (because you say so), but they certainly did not back in March.

But expecting them to email everyone using the Slysoft customer database would have been an even bigger sh™t storm IMO.

The only reason I was expecting to get notified is because that's what we were initially told would happen. I'm not saying there may not have been good reasons it didn't happen. I'm actually not being argumentative or critical at all. I just asked a couple questions.

And the reason I didn't spend much time visiting here in between is because it was so difficult to find any information content, amidst all the *itching that was going on. I spent many hours here reading, back in Feb/Mar, and came away with minimal scraps of info. I just didn't have time to dig through all that nonsense on an ongoing basis. Sorry. But if that's the price I pay, then I accept full responsibility for that. No complaints.

And just for the record, I haven't complained about anything. Asking a question or making an observation isn't complaining. But perhaps folks like yourself who are trying to be helpful are just so burnt out from dealing with all the negativity here that they now view everything in that light. :(

As I said right up front, I definitely appreciate your answering my Q's and sharing info. Thanks for taking the time.

Maybe I should refrain from posting in a thread titled, "Unloading my frustration". :D :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Redfox had PART of the customer database, you need to keep in mind that users change e-mail addresses all the time, ISP's change..., ISP's disappear,... There was no way they would be able to contact everyone. That's on top of the fact that the e-mail system isn't fully working yet. They're setting up a complete new mail system infrastructure. It was never said users would be compensated, what was said was "they'll think of something nice". What or how was never said, over time it became clear that they initially thought about contacting the available e-mail addresses and have them contact support through the ticket system for their coupon. However it quickly became clear that that would be a logistical nightmare and the support team would be overwhelmed, so they moved to 20% discount applied through the store and opened it up for new users too. When purchasing finally did become available it became clear that it was the smart choice to do, staff was quickly overwhelmed already by recent buyer opting to take advantage of the 50% off or 1y free offer. They were backlogged for weeks, if previous long term customers had been on top of that it would have been for months!

The reason you didn't get a "hey we're open" mail is thus bifold. 1) the e-mail system wasn't up (and still isn't) & 2) they didn't have a full up-to-date customer database. When the mail system is fully operational they'll go back to the normal routing of sending mails out on new official releases.

@Mark_OB1
No animosity bud sorry. My apologies for making you feel that way. Had a trying morning and it may have reflected in my post. And that's what us well known longtime members are really here for to help others when possible.

The introductory discount was a global of 20% off that could be combined with the bundle discount at checkout. And yes any Tom, Dick, and Harry could have got it aswell. But honestly that really didn't matter to me. Because at the end of the day they didn't have to offer any discount. Except maybe the recent Purchaser's of a slysoft license right before the closure whom they took care of.

If there's anything else that we can help you with please let us know.

Last edited:
Well I had no idea. Here's hoping they will offer another discount for those of us who are just finding out about Slysoft no longer existing. And really I'm not whining. More shocked then anything else.

It was never said users would be compensated, what was said was "they'll think of something nice".

Sorry. My sincere apologies.

sxqDm6G.png

I'm not sure where I got that mistaken impression. ;)

...over time it became clear that they initially thought about contacting the available e-mail addresses and have them contact support through the ticket system for their coupon. However it quickly became clear that that would be a logistical nightmare and the support team would be overwhelmed, so they moved to 20% discount applied through the store and opened it up for new users too.

Thanks! That's good to know, and very understandable. I would never try to implement such a plan using manual labor. The overhead would simply be ridiculous. As a software engineer myself, I do have an idea how it might be automated (no manual intervention from support folks at all), but I will forward that on directly to James.

Well blame Ivan, he's the one that provided those answers. What I meant is that they didn't give exact details on WHAT and how. Last time I checked 20% off IS something nice. They didn't HAVE to do anything.

Glad you understand though, not everyone was that understanding when that was changed

As to what Ivan said or wrote was during the time of rebuilding and restarting RedFox so what was said and how it was implemented was from scratch so if people don't understand that then nothing more can be said or done. We should all be glad RedFox continued they could've closed shop and left us in the dark-but they decided otherwise. And I for one am glad they kept it going.

...that's what us well known longtime members are really here for to help others when possible.

Yeah, and it's a tough job, with all the unrealistic expectations and unpleasant reactions many folks seem to have. Way too much negativity. I doubt I could do it myself.

If there's anything else that we can help you with please let us know.

I really just had a couple basic questions I was curious about, relating to the transfer of the customer lists, and mailings, and how discounts wound up getting handled. Those have all been explained, and I'm up to speed now.

I had only one other question, and I'm not sure this is the place to ask, but...

there was some discussion at one point about handling the OPD in a different way, that didn't make everything contingent on the continuous accessibility of that server. I know myself that I always have probably hundreds of BD's I've purchased that I won't get around to watching for a long time. And even a new LTL won't save me there, unless I go through and mount each and every one to get the associated data-turd (;) I know it wasn't called that) to download to my local system. (And make sure I keep that backed up.)

Has any progress (or plans) been made on eliminating that Achille's heel? [no need to re-explain anything... just a quick pointer to the most recent discussion would save me a lot of time digging through ancient history. thanks.]

Last edited:
You're referring as to make the OPD available for download? Perhaps @James can comment on this, as it was originally his idea. Is it still on the table, has it been looked into further if it's possible at all?

You're referring as to make the OPD available for download? Perhaps @James can comment on this, as it was originally his idea. Is it still on the table, has it been looked into further if it's possible at all?

Yes, exactly that. I do recall that James had brought it up, since it was felt to be a bit of a weak link. I wasn't sure if it had gotten a lot, a little, or no discussion since though.

You certainly wouldn't want to have people redownloading the whole thing repeatedly, but a 1-time core along with quarterly incrementals wouldn't necessarily be an excessive load. (I'm just guessing there... I don't actually know.) And that would bullet-proof customers against temporary (or extended) access outages. It's not just access to the OPD server itself, but rather on a local basis, if my own i-net was down I couldn't watch any newer discs I hadn't already mounted yet. And that does happen a couple times a year.

The way I see it, James and his team have invested a huge amount of effort into their system, and a centralized OPD could be a point of attack. Keeping the OPD distributed removes that vulnerability.

The downloading of the OPD was something James said he'd look into, but thats all of us any knows at the moment. No idea if it has been looked into yet, or what the decision is/was if it has been.

Well blame Ivan, he's the one that provided those answers.
Ivan's answers where somehow vague, so you're to blame if you want to find an exact, detailed meaning in them.
Résumé: Always choose your words carefully... and never forget what you said... and don't pull too many strings ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not to blame in any way. Think i still have the pdf lying around somewhere or the e-mail with the answers sent back. Every single one is a copy & paste from the e-mail

Years ago I purchased Clone DVD and Any DVD bundled for about $30 from Slysoft. I don't remember the exact amount, but it was under $50. I have done constant updates and reinstalled a few times due to getting a new computer, new hard drive, etc., with no problems. We recently had to replace our hard drive. I installed my old version of Any DVD and tried to do the latest update. I am now finding out that Slysoft is out of business and has been taken over by a new company. In order to update now, I must pay the equivalent of $125 American dollars.

While I am very sorry about the whole Slysoft situation, it is not the fault of their former customers. I feel that the new company, Red Fox, should honor the old licenses. To now have to pay four times as much for something I have already paid for is ridiculous, so am refusing to do it. I know there is nothing they will do about it, but I just needed to vent. Does anyone else feel this is unfair?

Many individuals paid large amounts of money to purchase "lifetime" updates. I did. It would be nice if the new company offered these individuals something....even a discount.... considering we are the victims. And, how can we be comfortable purchasing another "lifetime" package all the while thinking the same thing can happen to RedFox.

They did, for 2 months. Not the fault of redfox, you missed it. The discount availability had been announced for weeks in advance on top of that.

How, grab a nice warm blanket :) There's an inherit danger for tools like anydvd due to what they do and the sector they operate in.

Many individuals paid large amounts of money to purchase "lifetime" updates. I did. It would be nice if the new company offered these individuals something....even a discount.... considering we are the victims. And, how can we be comfortable purchasing another "lifetime" package all the while thinking the same thing can happen to RedFox.
It was up for 2 month most didn't miss it and also if you saw on the internet Slysoft was shuttered down as well that would've been your first instinct something was wrong and to go to the site to find out what happened. Missing it isn't the fault of Redfox and also RedFox is the victim as well so trying to say it was just you is being very disingenuous leaving out Facts and making facts not relevant to what happened.

Nothing to excuse for. Don't worry about wowszer, not the first he makes that assumption. The thing is, there's nothing for them to honor. SLYSOFT sold you the license, SLYSOFT got shut down, SLYSOFT honored your license for the life of the company, feel free to complain but you need to do it to slysoft. If you can get a hold of the company / owner. RedFox isn't tied to slysoft. It's real simple. If anydvd is to survive and continue to be developed = they need cash. You can't eat software code or pay the bills with it. No cash = no anydvd. Your slysoft license will continue to work up to version 7695 which still works with over 150k discs, but that version no longer has access to the OPD which is required for blu-rays upto a year old.

You're pretty biased for a moderator? Aren't moderators supposed to be neutral? (as in moderate). No one is naive enough to believe that Slysoft didn't profit from the sale of it's software and company. Stop trying to spin it like Redfox came in and saved us all. You are also quick to shut down discussions about this. (like you probably will this one) Why not let people get it off their chest and you just moderate?

I'm not biased at all. You need to educate yourself.

No one is naive enough to believe that Slysoft didn't profit from the sale of it's software and company

And who exactly did they sell it too? Right, nobody. Slysoft got SHUT DOWN by the authorities. There was no selling of anything. The CEO signed over the rights to the name and code rather than paying the staff. No money was involved.
You are also quick to shut down discussions about this. (like you probably will this one)

Wrong again, i havent shut down (locked) any discussion about this subject. Feel free to take a look around all of the topics that are still OPEN.
Why not let people get it off their chest and you just moderate?

That's exactly what i'm doing by not letting users spread the wrong information to other users or make accusations that simply arent true. Like you just did.

Notice how i did NOT lock the topic?

Back